The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice conditions  (Read 2655 times)

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
ice conditions
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:59 AM »
ok just thought id start a post was out this morning had 10 to 12 of clear ice on lake cornell hows the ice everywhere else

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Any action with panfish on Cornell?  Last time I was there I just caught a million dink perch.  Thansk,
Steve

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:38 PM »
just a few small perch today last time I was out a few nice gills and a couple small pike

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:51 AM »
Lake Hallie was 5-6 inches of ice
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Thursday a friend went thru on tainter lake I believe it was

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:14 PM »
The fish are really biting this year.  I have had limits of panfish on 3 different lakes this week.  Hopefully it keeps up.  Tight lines guys.

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:09 AM »
anyone been out these last few days?

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:25 PM »
anyone been out these last few days?
Hearing of people going in all over...no thanks Ill give it till next weekend. Look at a 30 day forecast above freezing temps around the 1st of Feb. We all know how accurate weather men are but it sure seems like its going to be a short season

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Checked 2 local lakes today. 0 on one 5 (that I could see) on another.One guy had 2 flags in the short time I watched.He missed the 1st didnt stick around for the 2nd, just seen the flag go up.

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:50 AM »
I think I might check this weekend but not counting on it being any good hoping the next few days will stay as cold as they say its going to be

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Im up on the Wis/michigan boarder for a week. Got out yesterday and was unpleasantly surprised by a foot of snow over slush. We're in the middle of a 6" storm this morning, so that's not going to help the slush either. Got out yesterday for my first shake down trip with my new shack and the atv. Caught a bunch of perch and had a decent time. 12" of ice under 3" of slush.

Today is walleyes on the Cisco Chain.

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Got about 12 inches on the lakes in lincoln county. Had about the same in vilas county last weekend when I was up there. I wouldnt drive my truck on there yet but I have seen people. Still a little to early for that.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Lots of the guys around me are saying the ice is safe and others say it's not. I haven't checked myself but you hear a lot of people going in around central WI and the DNR are asking to use extra caution. I wish I could be more help but am jealous of you guys up north!

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2014, 04:01 PM »
10-12 inches on the lakes near bloomer

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Went from my place on Palmer over to Big Lake of the Cisco Chain...I had 12" on palmer so figured Big Lake would be the same, it always has been in the 15 years Ive been fishing it and its a 4 mile ride from my door to my fishing spot.  I rode the ATV out a little over a mile from the launch, popped a hole and had 6-7". I was a bit on the nervous side pulling a huge shack stuffed with my gear by an atv that weighs over 1000 lbs. I stayed out but followed my tracks back. Lesson learned....dont take ice for granted.

Offline eyeman3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:01 PM »
i live in west bend and have been fishing fox lake and beaver dam lake....

last week 3 guys went threw the ice one didn't make it
the week before 3 other guys went threw
this was all on fox.
 ive had anywhere from 2-8inchs on both lakes i carry a spud bar with me everywhere i go and drill holes every couple yards if there hasn't been anyone out the way I'm fishing

and this may sound stupid to some people but early ice i always keep a throwable and lifejacket in my sled and 100feet of rod because you never know what could happen and after all this rain and warm weather it doesn't look like ill be doing any fishing down here for the next couple weeks to looks like on to some late bow hunting for me

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2014, 07:45 AM »
mon thru thurs single digit and sub zero lows and highs in the teens at most should help freeze things up a bit more

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I don't think that's stupid at all EYEMAN3 I do the same thing with a throw out and life jacket all winter long because I look at it as I might not be the one to need it but someone fishing 80 yards away will. I hope this is never the case. I didn't know the ice was that bad on Fox. Guess I won't be going there this Thursday.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2014, 08:56 PM »
It's never stupid to take extra precautions, it's smart! This weather has been crazy. I always wear a PFD life vest under my coat, with ice picks in the top pockets and have a throwable boat PFD in the sled. I stay close to shore during early ice, my early ice gills were caught in 2-5 feet of water, 10-20 yards from shore. This old timer stays safe, will hit it this week here in Madison, slow and steady, close to shore on some hopefully safe ice.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Its 5 degrees up here, so I decided to stay on my lake today. Slush all the way out over a mile to my spot with a ton of snow on top. Travel sucked. Everything frozen by the time I got off the atv, so I said screw it and came back in for cocktails.

Offline Troutbum12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I hope its not as slushy west of you, in the Hayward area. This cold has got to help lock up some of the slush layer

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:22 PM »
with a little luck this cold spell we are having this week should freeze things up nicely noticed yesterday there was almost no ice above the dam in town and tonight after work it was frozen almost completely across

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Im out tomorrow for sure, im following my frozen tracks. Its only supposed to be 3 up here, but Im fishing.

Offline Troutbum12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Awesome.
Look forward to the post game report.

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Spooner area has 12" of ice.  Have my permy out on Long Lake and there is a solid 12" with about 4" of snow on top.  A few small pockets of slush here and there but not too bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.