The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: how do you guys have your side by side set up for fishing  (Read 4325 times)

Offline catrider789

• IceShanty Rookie
just bought a side by side now im trying to get ideas on how to rig it up anyone got any pics
ben

Offline ducksdown07

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how do you guys have your side by side set up for fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Winch and drive and steer chains. Don't go out in too deep of snow unless you've got tracks. Cabs and doors are a lifesaver haha
Some people say "if it flies it dies"
I'm on record that "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I use ice chains on my rears and stud up my fronts. Snow depth is the key factor. (Currently looking for tracks for my Ranger) Got stuck bad last year when I frame-hung it in a drift...Zero-Fun.  If you plan on chaining-up- Make SURE you have a lot of clearance from your brake-lines. I had to install 1 1/2" wheel spacers on my Polaris for some added clearance. Yeah, it missed the line before but I've seen what a loosened chain can do and it will ruin your whole day if it rips off something important.

Ranger 500efi
3" Higher
3" Wider
4500lb Winch
V-Bar Ice Chains and 250 Gold-Digger Ice Screws

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:27 PM »

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:34 PM »
kdcon - what size is your Ranger?

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:40 PM »
It is a 2011, 800 XP, EPS.  Tatou 4S tracks,  Warn 4000 winch, Front Rack, Tool Boxes, Heat & Defrost,  LED Headlites, Rear worklites & HID Front High mount lites, Dual Odyssey AGM batteries

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:45 PM »
kdcon - thanks.  Been checking out Rangers and dealers have different opinions on minimum CCs to run tracks.

Offline kyle1982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:46 PM »
kdcon- that is a sweet machine setup pretty good i wish i had tracks

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Nice looking mach .But don't get a track under a pressure ridge or spring hole. A few years ago I spent a day jacking and pulling one out of a hole . They will tip down tru snow and wedge under an ice shelf. Snowmobile is more safe.

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Nice looking mach .But don't get a track under a pressure ridge or spring hole. A few years ago I spent a day jacking and pulling one out of a hole . They will tip down tru snow and wedge under an ice shelf. Snowmobile is more safe.

Ha, always an adventure makes for 1 more story round the fire.  The sled will come out easier for sure. On tracks prob max 35 mph = stuck & sore forehead,  Sled max mph vs pressure ridge = serious body damage.  Winch can be quick switched from front to rear just for that type situation.  Best thing is always know the lake.  2nd best let your buddy drive then he gets the blame :)

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:39 PM »
I would sell the side x side and spend half of it on decent sled and the other half on a wheeler. Those side by sides are SLOW and make a disaster out of the trails and ice roads in the slush. The track systems just put a beating on your drive train, they are just a money pit IMHO. Buy a sled and you won't have half of the problems and spend a lot more time fishing.

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Guess it depends on who is driving them.  1st -  I make my own trails just so I wont ruin any sled/truck access.  2nd - even tho registered & legal on sled trails I do not drive them out of courtesy to the sleds.  Been there done that w/ fast sleds for 41 years so slow is Not a prob for me.  Drive train beating is relative to who is Driving them.  Have had NO problems.  To date
( 3 winters ) have towed 26 sleds off lake, Dragged out/off shacks for others & 1 Chevy 4wd pickup off.  So seems you are pissed because of people that are not responsible for themselves & others.  Lot of that everywhere.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:44 PM »
I just can't see them lasting 10 or more years with out some expensive matainence/rebuilds, on top of 10 grand or more in buying it and thousands more gearing it up for fishing. There is just nothing that compares to a sled in the snow. I think they would be awesome for hunting though.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:27 AM »
It is a 2011, 800 XP, EPS.  Tatou 4S tracks,  Warn 4000 winch, Front Rack, Tool Boxes, Heat & Defrost,  LED Headlites, Rear worklites & HID Front High mount lites, Dual Odyssey AGM batteries

Personally, heated inside!  If you need an ice fishing buddy let me know!  Ha, ha...  Use my grizzly 700 and prefer it over sleds due to lack of snow many time.  That said, anything beats a long walk in the snow or ice especially hauling 150 pounds of gear.  KDcon your setup looks awesome!
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2014, 02:51 PM »
 Heat is real nice ;)  Pulls shacks better than any sled, just hook up, set coffee in cup holder and go.  Slush ?  Just keeps on goin, just let it settle down and drive .   Sled you are on the hammer w/ no stopping certainly not towing anything.    3 sleds towed last yr. were bogged in 12" of slush, 2 of them towing an Otter Sled. :o   Each to their own but this works for me. ;D

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Pulling sleds out is nothing. It's when you hook onto a truck and pull it down the lake that turns heads. Never seen a sled do that.

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Pulling sleds out is nothing. It's when you hook onto a truck and pull it down the lake that turns heads. Never seen a sled do that.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah it does.  Had the pleasure of towing a 3/4 ton Chevy 4wd off last year.  Guy was some pissed, not at me I think at the group of folks all clapping ;D  He should have known better, downhill ramp, over 2 drifts and summer tires.  He did leave a 30 pack on the door step.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:24 PM »
So very thoughtful of BassAss. to tell you guys how you should and shouldn't spend your money, must be the season of giving and caring. ;D

Offline jrio101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:07 PM »
There is just nothing that compares to a sled in the snow. I think they would be awesome for hunting though.

You haven't spent much time hauling heavy loads with a snowmobile. Not much compares to a SXS with tracks in the utility department.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:19 PM »
You haven't spent much time hauling heavy loads with a snowmobile. Not much compares to a SXS with tracks in the utility department.

That's 1,000 lbs worth of shack and 2 ft of snow. And I guaruntee I get there faster. A snowmobile is meant for the snow. There is no do it all, all year round machine. I'd like to see what happens when you guys hit a 18 in deep slush hole with one of those.  My sled I just throttle down and get the track spinning and aim her where I want it to go.

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:09 AM »
 There, just sold the Ranger and got an XCR and a new tape measure to check snow depth.  Dragging that shack thru 2 FT. of snow w/ any sled I will prob need lessons also :)  Maybe BassAss will post a how to video for us ?? ;)

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:36 AM »
There, just sold the Ranger and got an XCR and a new tape measure to check snow depth.  Dragging that shack thru 2 FT. of snow w/ any sled I will prob need lessons also :)  Maybe BassAss will post a how to video for us ?? ;)

Dammit!!!! I would have bought your tracks!!!! lol....let me know if your buyer doesn't want the useless things ... I'm kidding of course- to each their own I spose.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:03 PM »

You want a video? My buddy TkMoney99 just got a go pro. When the time comes I'll have him video me, show you girls how it's done!  :woot: :woot:

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Please do, thru 2ft. of snow no trail  ;D  Would also be nice if you started your own thread on how to drive a sled & tow shacks.  The gentleman that started this thread was asking about SxS setups for fishing not your opinion on SxS vs Sleds.

Offline jtlambo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay thirsty my friends....
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:43 AM »
You want a video? My buddy TkMoney99 just got a go pro. When the time comes I'll have him video me, show you girls how it's done!  :woot: :woot:

You're an idiot, highly opinionated, but an idiot just the same. Your posts are always a great source of entertainment for a lot of us! Keep up the good work! Bassass!

Offline 207catesk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2015, 04:40 AM »
Polaris xcr  was not made to haul shacks has 3 cylinders :cookoo: and prob weighs as much as the side by side, on the other side they work great as long as the keep moving, I was on a trip couple years ago on chamberlain and a friends razr died out there, then we couldn't get it out of gear and had to put 4 jet sleds under tracks towed real hard from farm house up hill to trucks... I would definitely use one if I had it...  sh#* always will happen no mater what ya drive.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:13 AM »
Common guys don't you see that a "snow" sled is the best choice for fishing this week.  ;D That's an awesome set up. Would love to have one. Slow and steady and don't drive like a flat lander and you will be alright
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Definitely important to get there faster when you know it's gonna take 3-4 hours to haul a fish in...  ;D

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Definitely important to get there faster when you know it's gonna take 3-4 hours to haul a fish in...  ;D
It was only a matter of time lol.

Offline Keychain

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Don't yell FLAG, yell KEYCHAIN!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Couldn't resist...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.