Author Topic: Hillbilly Stories  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hillbilly Stories
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Jigmup mentioning trolling around with a hillbilly reminded me of the time the well at my inlaws place on Big Turkey was barley sucking water. Big Turkey is located by a town called Stroh and Stroh is as hillbilly as hillbilly gets. Being a redneck I'm a pretty close with some hillbillies and Zeke was the master of fixing well issues. I gave him a call told him what was up and he came right over. Took the cap off the well opened his tool box pulled out a 22 revolver.... I was a bit startled at first. I've never seen a 22 in a plumbers tool box. He fired a couple rounds down the pipe and put everything back together and said it should work now. I tried it and it worked better than I had ever seen. Zeke explained about how the force of the bullet knocked the sediment off the end of the pipe screen. Cost me 20 bucks and 6 beers. I couldn't get enough plumbing info from him after that fix!

Offline Chub58

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hillbilly Stories
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:13 AM »
My family has a place in Northern Michigan on a lake and we had the same problem.My grandfather did the same thing but it didn't work so he got his 7mm mag out and blasted the screen and the end of pipe to pieces.The new well has worked great ever since.
Hut - Cabelas 360tc
Sonar - Vexilar double vision fl20 DTD flx28
Rods - Custom
Lure - Fiskas tungsten
Ride - 07' Polaris 700 dragon
Auger - Clam conversion Dewalt 20v Mora 6"

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:19 AM »
That's well and good that it worked but now there is lead in the water system.  Typical hillbilly mentality.  Well gee, it works now doesn't it?

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:40 AM »
Jigmup mentioning trolling around with a hillbilly reminded me of the time the well at my inlaws place on Big Turkey was barley sucking water. Big Turkey is located by a town called Stroh and Stroh is as hillbilly as hillbilly gets. Being a redneck I'm a pretty close with some hillbillies and Zeke was the master of fixing well issues. I gave him a call told him what was up and he came right over. Took the cap off the well opened his tool box pulled out a 22 revolver.... I was a bit startled at first. I've never seen a 22 in a plumbers tool box. He fired a couple rounds down the pipe and put everything back together and said it should work now. I tried it and it worked better than I had ever seen. Zeke explained about how the force of the bullet knocked the sediment off the end of the pipe screen. Cost me 20 bucks and 6 beers. I couldn't get enough plumbing info from him after that fix!

Send Zeke over to my house!!!!!!!!  I got plenty of beer!!!!!!  Great story!

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I see the word Stroh and ALL I can think of is grabbing a fish sandwich after a morning of fishing at the Turkey Lake Tavern.  I'd eat one for breakfast right now if I could.  Mmmm mmm good!
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Ha Ha! I'll add to this thread just as soon as I have a moment.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:47 AM »
I did that once , after recommendation, from a person familiar with wells. It was on a old piston pump, that i was using for my garden. Really worked good for a few times, then i started hearing a noise in the head of the pump. Ended up tearing the pump apart, and sure enough there was the slug i shot into the well pipe. Was as big as a quarter, and beat up. Had no water problems after that. He also told me to take a big bottle of alka-seltzer, pour it down the pipe,capit, and let it set a day. Has the same effect as the bullet , put takes longer. Don't know how it works ,a s i never tried it. I've even heard of peeps putting Muratic acid down the pipe, then capping it. ........... :o

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:51 AM »
That's well and good that it worked but now there is lead in the water system.  Typical hillbilly mentality.  Well gee, it works now doesn't it?

Lead in the water... lol I'm pretty sure lead is the least of their worries in that water table! It's for flushing only.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I see the word Stroh and ALL I can think of is grabbing a fish sandwich after a morning of fishing at the Turkey Lake Tavern.  I'd eat one for breakfast right now if I could.  Mmmm mmm good!

X2 that Brink!! I don't know how many gallons of that godly tartar sauce I've consumed over the years. I just order the fish as something to dip on the sauce like chips are to salsa.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Ha Ha! I'll add to this thread just as soon as I have a moment.

Sweet!!!

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:24 AM »
I take it you've never been to Turkey lake?  A half  inch ball of lead from those two bullets will probably go unnoticed in that ecosystem.   Lol
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:05 AM »
X2 that Brink!! I don't know how many gallons of that godly tartar sauce I've consumed over the years. I just order the fish as something to dip on the sauce like chips are to salsa.

When I order a "fish only" with an extra Hawaiian roll they will be refilling that qt. jug of sauce after I am finished...Smothered.

As far as hillbilly stories go. I saw a lawn mower with the deck removed 5 or 6 years ago on Erie that was about 5 miles offshore that had 5 gallon gas jugs for saddle bags pulling a shanty out at about 2 miles an hour.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:08 AM »
I'm still using lead splitshots and crimping them on with my teeth. I'm pretty confident that I'll die of something else long before lead poisoning has a chance to kill me.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:16 AM »

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Lol! Awesome

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:51 AM »
One of our guys invited two brothers to join us for a day of flintlock hunting. When they arrived they proceeded to load their guns and just poured the blackpowder down the barrel, straight out of the container without using a powder measure. We questioned doing that and they said that they do it all the time.
It gets to be the end of the day and no shooting, so now they are going to unload their flintlocks by firing them. The suggestion is made to shoot at a pumpkin that one of our guys puts on a stump about 25 yds. away from where we park, and we use it as a target if we need to unload.
The first guy shoots at the pumpkin and the gun makes like a "PFFFT" sound and it sounds like something rustled the leaves. We looked at each other, and "naw", that couldn't have been the ball, and when we checked there was no hole in the pumpkin either. The second one shoots, and sure enough the leaves kick up about halfway to the pumpkin.
Both of these guys had barely put enough powder in their guns to get the ball out of the barrel, let alone kill a deer.
Needless to say, we got a good laugh out of this.  :roflmao:
Even a homemade powder measure would help these guys!!!!!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:23 AM »
When I was 10 I use to ride my bike to the local dam just about everyday and carp fish. One day my brother and I are watching this guy standing on the flood gate and he's jigging something and hammer 15# plus carp one after another and keeping them. We decide to see what this magic bait and technique was. So I walk over and politely asked, and he said come here son I'll show you.  He hands me a catfish ugly stick that had about 30 yards of 40 pound test on a zebco 808, and the secret bait was a automotive spark plug tip with a large treble hook. I said mister, where is the bait, he said that is the bait... He showed me the technique and after two fish, my brother was on his bike back to the house, to get some specialized gear. When he asked dad for some spark plugs and large treble hooks, my dad knew right away what was going down. About an hour later my dad shows up and calls me off the flood gate. He said come on get in the truck, and I was like heck no, I'm having a blast... Then he proceeded to tell me that I just got out smarted by a hillbilly, and that technique is a bad idea! Definitely a learning experience! Lol
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:11 PM »
When I was 10 I use to ride my bike to the local dam just about everyday and carp fish. One day my brother and I are watching this guy standing on the flood gate and he's jigging something and hammer 15# plus carp one after another and keeping them. We decide to see what this magic bait and technique was. So I walk over and politely asked, and he said come here son I'll show you.  He hands me a catfish ugly stick that had about 30 yards of 40 pound test on a zebco 808, and the secret bait was a automotive spark plug tip with a large treble hook. I said mister, where is the bait, he said that is the bait... He showed me the technique and after two fish, my brother was on his bike back to the house, to get some specialized gear. When he asked dad for some spark plugs and large treble hooks, my dad knew right away what was going down. About an hour later my dad shows up and calls me off the flood gate. He said come on get in the truck, and I was like heck no, I'm having a blast... Then he proceeded to tell me that I just got out smarted by a hillbilly, and that technique is a bad idea! Definitely a learning experience! Lol

Dude, you need to submit that story to Reader's Digest.  I loved it.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Ok, so a late great friend of mine, PJ, came from the sticks in Tennessee. He moved up here but I never got the story why. One thing this guy could do was troll Lake Erie and absolutely dismantle walleye's. He had a 23 foot Imperial that by the time I started running with him was battered pretty bad but mechanically was flawless (those hillbilly's are pretty darn good mechanics). He had outriggers, downriggers, planer boards that you run from a mast and at least $3,000 dollars worth of crank baits. His electronics were not so great but that didn't mean squat. We were running a very early humming bird that had pixel blocks for fish...ha!

Anyway on one of our excursions with two of his brothers and another friend, I was setting a Wally Diver on a down rigger and once down I turned around to see PJ dropping trou' smack dab in the middle of the boat and take a squat on a 5 gallon bucket and commence to unloading right in the middle of all us anglers. Absolutely no modesty what so ever! Stands up wipes his arse and chucks the contents overboard directly inline with the closet outrigger line starboard side. Leans over the side of the boat with trousers still around his ankles, rinses the bucket once and then zips up and makes himself a sandwich!

At this point in time I am like..."what in the world have I gotten myself into" but after realizing this is just how its done south of the Ohio river, I attended many, many more outings, so this is just scratching the surface of "Hillbilly fishing adventures" with PJ and company!

Next up..."Mayfly hatch and the overnight at West Sister".

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Went camping with 3 other couples about 10 years ago down on Monroe. We all set up tents and octagon food tent for eating at the state camp ground. We also took my John boat "Kat Phish Remedy" down to try and whack some kitties. It must have been about 90* degrees that first day so we went out fishing and somehow I had 4 or 5 chunks of cut bluegill fall between the seat and the fabricated deck that I had on the front. Started to stink real bad by the end of the day as you could imagine. Well we got back and pulled the boat back up to the campsite and proceeded to have a couple cocktails by the campfire. Off in the distance we could see some lightning. It kind of seemed like it was creeping our way, but you couldn't hear any thunder. We thought no harm no foul. About 15 minutes later from completely out of no where it sounded like a 600' tall locomotive was coming through the campground. Every single person, must have been 400 people, stood up at the exact same time(thinking Tornado) and sprinted to the block building shower room. I must have pulled 25 tent stakes on my sprint to the block building.  I know I took out one whole side of the food tent and at least 4 or 5 tent sides on the run. It lasted about 10 minutes and poured for an hour. Death narrowly avoided. When the rain quit everyone walked out of the bathroom to find or not to find their tents scattered across the 10 acre area we were camping. Our tent was completely missing, but two of the other couples tents were still there. My girlfriend at the time, now wife, and I slept in my truck. Only problem I was 3 sheets to the wind and passed out with my foot on the break. When I woke up all my tail lights were burnt out. When I climbed out of the truck I could smell the burnt wiring on the back of my truck. Looked up and the wood line about 1/4 mile away all the trees were snapped off. The tornado had just missed us. Went over and checked on the boat and there was about 6" of water in the bottom of the boat. Well guess what them bluegill hunks from the day before floated back up out of the crack between the seats, but so did the 10,000 maggots that were crawling on every inch of my boat. It was alive. I thought oh lord, what the *ell am I gonna do..got it. Pull the drain plug. Well that got rid of the water but the maggots were still everywhere. So I drove home 3-1/2 hours with no tail lights, no tent, and I would venture to guess that for the first 50 miles the guy behind me was using his windshield wipers to brush off the maggots.

There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:17 PM »
I'm rolling lol!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:39 PM »
TKO...this was supposed to be about Hillbilly's we know! :woot:

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:45 PM »
That ain't funny is it sis? @)

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:51 PM »

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Went camping with 3 other couples about 10 years ago down on Monroe. We all set up tents and octagon food tent for eating at the state camp ground. We also took my John boat "Kat Phish Remedy" down to try and whack some kitties. It must have been about 90* degrees that first day so we went out fishing and somehow I had 4 or 5 chunks of cut bluegill fall between the seat and the fabricated deck that I had on the front. Started to stink real bad by the end of the day as you could imagine. Well we got back and pulled the boat back up to the campsite and proceeded to have a couple cocktails by the campfire. Off in the distance we could see some lightning. It kind of seemed like it was creeping our way, but you couldn't hear any thunder. We thought no harm no foul. About 15 minutes later from completely out of no where it sounded like a 600' tall locomotive was coming through the campground. Every single person, must have been 400 people, stood up at the exact same time(thinking Tornado) and sprinted to the block building shower room. I must have pulled 25 tent stakes on my sprint to the block building.  I know I took out one whole side of the food tent and at least 4 or 5 tent sides on the run. It lasted about 10 minutes and poured for an hour. Death narrowly avoided. When the rain quit everyone walked out of the bathroom to find or not to find their tents scattered across the 10 acre area we were camping. Our tent was completely missing, but two of the other couples tents were still there. My girlfriend at the time, now wife, and I slept in my truck. Only problem I was 3 sheets to the wind and passed out with my foot on the break. When I woke up all my tail lights were burnt out. When I climbed out of the truck I could smell the burnt wiring on the back of my truck. Looked up and the wood line about 1/4 mile away all the trees were snapped off. The tornado had just missed us. Went over and checked on the boat and there was about 6" of water in the bottom of the boat. Well guess what them bluegill hunks from the day before floated back up out of the crack between the seats, but so did the 10,000 maggots that were crawling on every inch of my boat. It was alive. I thought oh lord, what the *ell am I gonna do..got it. Pull the drain plug. Well that got rid of the water but the maggots were still everywhere. So I drove home 3-1/2 hours with no tail lights, no tent, and I would venture to guess that for the first 50 miles the guy behind me was using his windshield wipers to brush off the maggots.

Now that is the post of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline krh76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2014, 03:09 PM »
A co-worker of mine had a well issue and pulled his pump to check it. The pump was fine so he called the local well driller to se what might possibly be the problem.  Well driller told him the well had possibly scaled over and to fire a 12 ga slug down the pipe to break it up.  Well the gun went off and nothing happened right away then it looked like old faithful!! Still had to drill a new well and no one was hurt luckily

Offline DanO2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:41 PM »

on Thanksgiving i brought some pheasants over that i had got earlier that week...i ate one and it was delicious...my girlfriend's nephew bit into one and said hey there is a BB in this...LOL...someone asked if it were steel...i told em no thats lead shot, and when ya eat wild game you've shot you do your best to get it all out and then just explore the rest while eating...needless to say the kid is still alive and that was the only shot we found..i see what you mean about lead in the water supply, but come on man these are hillbilly stories ya had to know it was comin!

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:43 PM »
on Thanksgiving i brought some pheasants over that i had got earlier that week...i ate one and it was delicious...my girlfriend's nephew bit into one and said hey there is a BB in this...LOL...someone asked if it were steel...i told em no thats lead shot, and when ya eat wild game you've shot you do your best to get it all out and then just explore the rest while eating...needless to say the kid is still alive and that was the only shot we found..i see what you mean about lead in the water supply, but come on man these are hillbilly stories ya had to know it was comin!
I give!  I give!  LOL As soon as I posted that comment I knew I was going to regret it LOL.  Glad there are some guys on here with a good sense of humor. 

Offline kesdadddy7597

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Years back my brother and I were going to go ice fishing with our dad.  He was about 15 and was notorious for not getting up at first call, and then running around like a chicken with his head cut off.  So we get to the lake, and make the long walk back to the spot, which takes you through a swamp.  That walk got him woken up and just as we still out holes at first light, he has to drop a deuce.  He proceeds to walk back into the swamp and takes what seems like forever, long enough that I had a dozen or so gills or do on the ice upon his return.  As he gets back on the ice he is walking funny.  Turns out he forgot his tp supply and had to cut his shirt and his long underwear were making him itch.  The funny part is when he got close, he stunk to high hell.  Apparently in his haste he forgot to pull the top of his car harts through his legs, and when he backed up to the tall yellow grass, it splashed all over his gear.  He cleaned most of it up okay, but he spent most of the day fishing by hisself and had to ride home in the back of the truck.  You can be the got his butt up early the next time do he could take care of that at home.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Years back my brother and I were going to go ice fishing with our dad.  He was about 15 and was notorious for not getting up at first call, and then running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

You and your brother went fishing with your 15 year old dad? Now that is Hillbilly!! :woot:

Sorry, that's how it reads!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.