Author Topic: towing a permanent shack? snowmobile or quad?  (Read 7877 times)

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
towing a permanent shack? snowmobile or quad?
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:35 PM »
I have an 8 by 8 permanent shack on runners. Looking for a way other than the truck to tow it around. Do you think a quad or a snowmobile is better suited?

Looking at either a 400 or 500 4x4 quad with chains (tires no tracks) or a snowmobile. Just not sure what's better.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: towing a permanent shack?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I'll assume you're towing with a tow bar or a hitch ? A truck will have better towing power , but once started a quad or sled would most likely get er done , as long as traction is maintained
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I was reading that lots of sleds just dig in and can't get traction. I've never had issues but it's always been with a smaller shack. Most of the guys/gals with quads seem to pull well but I worry about when the snow gets deeper.
I was thinking of either a quad or snowmobile but not sure what the best choice would be so figured I'd ask here for some input.
Oh and I haven't welded tow bar yet but will be so right now just using a heavy duty tow strap.

Offline Andre1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: towing a permanent shack? snowmobile or quad?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Make sure you have good teflon or other hard and slippery sliding surface on the runners otherwise you'll have all kinds of grief depending on snow or ice conditions.

Always put your runners on blocks when you place your shack.  And move it often.  Slush and ice always form around shacks so the blocks and moving it will help keep it from freezing in.

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Depends in the depth/kind of snow.  I got a Big Bear 400, it's geared ultra low and can pretty much pull anything as long as it gets traction.  If the snow gets deeper than 18", it struggles to pull itself let alone anything else, especially in powder snow.  Why, the snow pushes up against the underside of the ATV and the wheels just spin.  No ATV will pull in this case and that was the case last year since mid December.  Last years deep snow on the lakes was so brutal!  Now wait until spring when you need to move ur shack when all that snow turns soft, even worse. 

ATV's are fine as long as the snow depth isn't too bad or your in a well packed down area ie) lots of sled traffic...     
How long is a piece of string?

Offline magic13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:21 PM »
An 8x8 shack will be a little heavy but once you get moving  a quad or a sled should pull it.  A couple of things to remember.  Between the runners install a toboggan style nose piece made from tin or flexible plywood so the shack will climb on top of the snow instead of plowing it.  Makes a big difference.  Another is to close and secure your hole covers before towing or you may get a big surprise when you open the door and look inside.
Semper Paratus

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Make sure you have good teflon or other hard and slippery sliding surface on the runners otherwise you'll have all kinds of grief depending on snow or ice conditions.

Always put your runners on blocks when you place your shack.  And move it often.  Slush and ice always form around shacks so the blocks and moving it will help keep it from freezing in.
That's the best advice. I remember pulling Grump's 2 storey high, green behemoth shanty out at Hnausa with my little bitty Yamaha Bravo and a long rope. She grunted and smoked but got her done. The worst part was when I finally got some speed and then I hit glare ice. The shanty PASSED me on the right WHOA  ::)……no brakes  ;D
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:53 PM »
That's the best advice. I remember pulling Grump's 2 storey high, green behemoth shanty out at Hnausa with my little bitty Yamaha Bravo and a long rope. She grunted and smoked but got her done. The worst part was when I finally got some speed and then I hit glare ice. The shanty PASSED me on the right WHOA  ::)……no brakes  ;D

That would be my only concern as well , especially this year of limited snow cover so far ...............slow and easy :)
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline size38pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Alpine II

Offline Frozen Hook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:29 PM »
I was reading that lots of sleds just dig in and can't get traction. I've never had issues but it's always been with a smaller shack. Most of the guys/gals with quads seem to pull well but I worry about when the snow gets deeper.
I was thinking of either a quad or snowmobile but not sure what the best choice would be so figured I'd ask here for some input.
Oh and I haven't welded tow bar yet but will be so right now just using a heavy duty tow strap.

I know I'm late to the party, but just ran across this thread and thought I should share. I pull my shack with my Polaris Sportsman 800. Once pulled it over 3 miles in a good 18 inches of snow.

Have you've been dreaming about fishing, why not fish while you're dreaming?

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2015, 08:26 AM »
That looks awesome Frozen Hook  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.