Author Topic: Best excuse you have made?  (Read 884 times)

Offline Ice Wombat

• IceShanty Rookie
Best excuse you have made?
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Just wondering what some of the creative reasons/excuses that you have had, or had to make up, to extend your time on the water?

My wife was awesome enough to add it to her wedding vows that she "promises to let me stay out later if the fish are biting" as I promised to "shower as soon as I return from a fishing session"

But there are still times where the fish are not biting but your anticipation levels are stopping you from packing up when you should be....

What have you said over the phone to your other half to extend your session?

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best excuse you have made?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:28 PM »
This is a great topic.

I'm curious to hear the "wife tales".

Mine just knows I'll be gone, maybe Til morning. Lol.

I do keep her informed, but I usually don't leave with a timeline to be back and she seldom reaches me on the ice other than to ask how the fishing is. I'm a lucky feller.

Good fishin!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Been married so long now nothing I say means a damn anyway.

I just decide when it's time to quit, sometimes it is late other it is after just a few hours.  But never ever will I quit until I have fished at least as long as it takes to drive to and from the lake.

SHOTGUN

Offline flytyer nymph

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I'm in with Shotgun. Been the second in command for so long.........I think she is encouraging me.......to stay a little longer! And I know there will be a hard water treat under the tree.
K
Kj

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:14 PM »
I'm in with Shotgun. Been the second in command for so long.........I think she is encouraging me.......to stay a little longer! And I know there will be a hard water treat under the tree.
K

X3
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:35 AM »
I've turned my wife into my best fishing partner, so I really don't have that issue anymore. There was a time when we were first dating that her and her father were driving the general area I was at and had called the police; only to discover me home already wondering where the hell she was? Needless to say that helped her understand that I get home, when I get home. This was before cell phones, so now there is ample opportunity to let someone know if the fish are biting and you will be later or longer. I'm sure there are some of you out there that the wife hopes you won't be back too soon so she can have time to indulge her own pursuits, and thats healthy for both of you.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Been married so long now nothing I say means a damn anyway.

I just decide when it's time to quit, sometimes it is late other it is after just a few hours.  But never ever will I quit until I have fished at least as long as it takes to drive to and from the lake.

SHOTGUN
X4
Although I did freeze the aprons of my thermal tent to the ice and didn't have a means to chip it out except for the tire iron which took an extra 2 hours... .no fish were caught in the extra 2 either... damnit.
and thanks to the following Christmas...I now have a survival hatchet to take with me.  ;D ;D :tipup:
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.