The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Togue jigging tips  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Togue jigging tips
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Looking to get into jigging lakers this year, I have a flasher, showdown troller 2.0, and did minimal jigging last year with little success, looking for tips, what's your favorite set up, depth, jigs, bait? Thanks

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Togue jigging tips
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:59 PM »
I like to cut a bunch of holes (15+) in depths from 15' all the way up to 100'. Bounce around and change jigs once you get a couple lookers with no takers.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:11 PM »
i like to jig about 5 feet from my tipups, dead bait on the tipup

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:53 PM »
i like to jig about 5 feet from my tipups, dead bait on the tipup

BIG is not always what you want. A piece of meat on the jig is always a good idea!

Try some glow plastics and tungsten. I hear a lot of good things about white tubes too. Take a look at these. I watched some youtube vids on them. Seem to fit in the white tube zone and upgraded. I bought just a couple to try.

http://www.hogylures.net/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:00 PM »
I prefer swedish pimples and white tube jigs.  Change depths (in the water column)  if you aren't getting any action.  It sometimes helps to reel as fast as you can if you see them coming up off the bottom after it.  It takes a leap of faith to do this when you first try it, but it often triggers a strike, though not always.  Be sure to check the threads at the end of the "Community" list for trout.  Lots of good info there and on you tube.

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:27 PM »
There are quite a few videos on YouTube that you can get some information out of. A good depth map of the lake you are fishing will go a long ways too. Your lure choice isn't all to important. I've seen em hit just about everything. Size and color play a bigger role I think. I tip most of my lures with a piece of smelt.

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:06 PM »
I hardly ever use live bait jigging for them. Usually the Swedish pimple, jigging rapala, bucktail jig, or other spoons do the trick. For some reason I got a lot on those jigs that look like kastmasters with a tail on them.. Orange and green ones. Must be the movement the tail makes.

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:34 PM »
How large do you go on the Swedish Pimples for lakers? I'm guessing 1/4 oz, or is that too much?

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I was a firm believer of pimples until The new tungsten jigs came out..   ;)2
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:50 PM »
Not sure on the size but the biggest one I have is about 2.5 -3 inches. Tube jigs work good too.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:54 PM »

What do you use for tungsten jigs?

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Air plane jigs have treated me pretty good, and big heavy spoons .

Offline Slammah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This one has got some shoulders on it!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Knowing that you have a flasher, my biggest piece of advice would be to not allow them to look at it for too long. They are really good at picking out a fake and if you just jig the lure in front of them they will come in all day, take a look, and leave. Our hookup:looker ratio went way up last year on Sebago once we started working the lure away from them the moment they showed up on the screen. I like jigging with tubes and other soft plastics along with swedish pimples. We caught numerous fish in over 100' that chased our baits from the bottom all the way to just beneath the ice. Pretty cool to watch them chase the jig if you are in a dark pop up. Good luck and post some pics!

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Location,location,location..........once your on the right piece of bottom and find the fish,they will hit a variety of offerings.Find the areas that hold the bait for the water your fishing and you will catch fish,that's where your bottom machine comes in.Chart study is huge.The difference between no fish  and non stop action can be a hundred yards.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Fishfinder and depth maps are your most important tools.  Look for areas where a steep drop levels out to a deep flat, deep points, humps etc.  even if the fish aren't hitting, you will see them on the fishfinder if they are there.  If you don't mark fish within 5 or max 10 minutes at a hole, move!  Small moves if you are confident it's a good area and fish are there somewhere, bigger moves if you're prospecting in unfamiliar water.

Once you mark fish, try something big like a 1 oz bucktail stinger jig tipped with sucker meat to start, and if that doesn't work, try a lighter rig with something like a 1/4 oz crippled herring tipped with a smelt head.

Slammah is spot on about teasing the fish into hitting.  They seem to want different things on different days, but you often have to play with them a bit to get a hit.  They get much more aggressive once they get up off the bottom a bit.

Offline Flatlander2Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I got my game face on now! Come'er Fish
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Insert jig into hole, drop to bottom, jig 50 times, reel up 5 feet and repeat....
Here fishy fishy fishy

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Are you sure those tubes don't work back home?  Maybe try some 6 to 7'' tubes.  White works good up this way because the lakers are feeding on whitefish.  Try some green/brown tubes matching the color of suckers.  They worked for us this week ;)

If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Holy those are some monsters there guys!..Ya I tried the white tubes  but no luck. I will try them again this year..
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:39 PM »
wow

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Don't hold back jigginfrogs. Show us the biguns.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Holy those are some monsters there guys!..Ya I tried the white tubes  but no luck. I will try them again this year..
It is not just the tube, you need a jig head the allows the tube to to lay fairy flat when not jigging and will bounce the bottom like it is feeding when jigging, tip it with bait...smelt...sucker
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:49 PM »
i have a bunch of those big tubes. never had luck but i didn't use them much either. i guess ill have to try them again! @)

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:16 PM »
They don't work jacksmelt nothing to see here move along..😬

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.