The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Central vt bait  (Read 1401 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Central vt bait
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:48 PM »
So I am aware that the state has a site that lists bait dealers and all that stuff, but it does not tell me who is good and who overcharges for small bait. So with that said, I just moved from st j to montpelier. I am losing Flanders bait (best shop I've been to in the state) and going to unknown territory. So the state lists a shop in northfield and a shop in Calais (located at a po box apparently). Does anyone know anything about either? Are there more shops that I missed within say 15 miles of montpelier?

Offline LimpFin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • May your flag never be at half staff
Re: Central vt bait
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:43 PM »
I have always had good luck with Rick's Bait in Calais. He is on RT 14 just north of town and has a sign next to the road. Prices are in the ballpark of what I pay anywhere. He's a good guy and loves to trade a good fish story. I've bought bait from him for over 20 years.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Jim Paige has a bait shop just North of Montpelier on rt. 12.  Ill see if I can dig up his address.  He has bait already as far as I know.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Keith,

I purchased bait from Rick's a couple times last year.  The bait was in excellent condition, lasted for days, and was priced fairly.  I'd buy from him again.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I also have bought bait from Rick for 20 years, great guy & bait. Other fellow on rt 12 is also good.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Jim Paige has a bait shop just North of Montpelier on rt. 12.  Ill see if I can dig up his address.  He has bait already as far as I know.
Did you find out if Jim Paige is selling bait and what his address is? Thanks.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:12 AM »
He is fully stocked. 

Jim Paige
Ridge-Runner Products
177 Rte. 12
Middlesex, VT 05602
802-229-4246

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:07 AM »
I always had good luck with Rick's Bait on Rt 14 is Calais.  Bought bait for years there, way back when Rick still caught smelt outa Magog and sold them.  (When that was still legal bait.)  Rick has always treated me well, and he'll be open this weekend.
I fish better Hungry.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:15 AM »
I have bought bait from Rick for years as well, dating back to when he sold smelt from Magog and he is a great guy, very fairly priced.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I have bought bait from Rick for years as well, dating back to when he sold smelt from Magog and he is a great guy, very fairly priced.
Ditto on that and his bait is good and cold from the Brook behind his place. No floaters when you drop them into the lake!!

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:56 PM »
X2 on ricks bait always good and lively. The guy in northfield isn't that great.. Doesn't have a good setup and hardly ever has bait. Bought 5 dozen off him last year. Overnight with an aerator and next morning 1/2 were dead. I have also heard good news about te guy on rt 12
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:00 PM »
I don't buy that much live bait but everything I have gotten from Rick has always been in great shape.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.