New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Power auger or flasher?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Power auger or flasher?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:15 AM »
I'm sorry I just don't get the power auger thing, a 5 inch Mora with good non China blades cuts like butter. Hand Auger also add no noise to the peaceful lake experience. I sometimes think guys like drilling with power augers more than they like fishing. More than once our gang has done time trials watching guys across the lake doing the pull cord thing over and over. Every time we have our hand powered holes dug faster.

Get the flasher and Jig them up!
Buddy I'll race you anytime. If you're fishing with a 5" hole and you have a flasher you'll need two holes. Any ice over 8" and my 10" jiffy beats you by a mile
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:23 AM »
number one  the guy runs tip ups!  number 2  we had 3 foot on ice last year!   number 3  you can't  beat a power auger over  8 to 10 inches of ice  ......and a warning ...you start twisting on a lazer like that  as you get older pick a good orthopedic surgeon  to handle that roto cuff operation

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Well after being on the phone with Humminbird for over an hr yesterday I had the best customer service I have ever had with any company. I had a few questions about the new helix 5 as it is a brand new product  the lady put me on hold for about 5 minutes after not knowng an answer and when she came back she was out of breath and said "hold on I just ran and got one and I'm plugging it in and we will see" I was on the phone with her for a while with a bunch of most likely stupid questions but she was awesome! I was debating the humminbird or the lowrance but service like that sold me. I now have a Helix 5 sonar only portable on the way and I am very stoked.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:06 AM »
@others trying to explain to "kcjerk" .  just a tip all you got to do is read the screen name and the post count it tells you every thing.....like he is a new poster here trying to pick fights. or trying to agitate the fellows that have been on here longer than others...   that how i see it just ignore them nothing will come of it  if you do get agitated. he could be a spammer etc etc just signing on to piss all of us off then come back to spam up the site  etc...etc.. i am trying not to lead to conclusions but with that low of post count on this site  and that screen name and that post he posted just says some thing to me not to bother.....   

Offline Fishfry1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2014, 01:03 PM »
I'd go with a flasher hands down

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2014, 01:17 PM »
get a flasher a hand auger conversion kit. Turns your hand auger into an electric auger using an 18v cordless drill. The conversion kit is like 24bucks on amazon

Offline gpete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Find a good deal on both (used). Good luck!

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Get yourself a nils...then learn to use it correctly(most people just can't seem to figure out using 2 arms to turn lol)...if you keep blades sharp($20/year for sharpening)...I will put $ any day that I can drill a hole just as fast if not faster then a power auger (tried it even with the thick ice last year) and I guarantee my auger won't need fuel and will start every time.  Nils nils nils...you'll never look back and I got my 6" for $125...good luck ordering now they sell out every year, wonder why?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Dec 22, 2014, 06:57 PM »
well  good  shoulda  is  coming  to the  sandy  pond 2 man  tourney and  drilling all the  holes!!!!   

I  believe  your  faster  then a  power  auger  and  after this  it  will put any  doubts  to rest  :thumbsup:

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #69 on: Dec 23, 2014, 06:44 AM »
well  good  shoulda  is  coming  to the  sandy  pond 2 man  tourney and  drilling all the  holes!!!!   

I  believe  your  faster  then a  power  auger  and  after this  it  will put any  doubts  to rest  :thumbsup:

2X  ::)
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Smoltz35

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There are no bad days when fishing!!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 23, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Put your battery drill on the auger and go with a flasher.
. X2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.