New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Power auger or flasher?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
Power auger or flasher?
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Hey guys, just getting back into ice fishing and have 500$ I was planning on getting a new auger with but I keep thinking a flasher would be a better purchase. What do you guys think would be a better purchase? I have a hand auger and mainly jig for perch with tip ups out for trout or pike.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Power auger or flasher?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I would go with the flasher as you already have a way to get a hole in the ice.  The flasher will increase your catch rate.  That being said you could probably get a new serviceable flasher and a used or lower HP auger for your $500.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Put your battery drill on the auger and go with a flasher.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:35 AM »
again I'm going to go agaist  everything everyone is telling you .....again my opinion .....you said  tip ups  ...well fasher ain't going to help you there but a power auger  sure would!....the  hook a drill to the auger ...I did it ...it sucks  you  go threw batteries  fast and burn out a  125 dollar drill  my suggestion  get a  good used auger orrrrrrr  go get a  eskimo post hole digger  for  200 bucks  new   put you ice auger on that  then go  buy a used flasher or safe a bit  ...or use  a  LCR...lowes has post hole diggers cheap  off name 

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Hey guys, just getting back into ice fishing and have 500$ I was planning on getting a new auger with but I keep thinking a flasher would be a better purchase. What do you guys think would be a better purchase? I have a hand auger and mainly jig for perch with tip ups out for trout or pike.

Both  ;D  .....  get a used flasher for $300 and a used auger for $200  ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Ammo5254

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Def a flasher.  My catch rates at least doubled with one!  Good luck buddy!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Both  ;D  .....  get a used flasher for $300 and a used auger for $200  ;)

exactly

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Flasher for sure!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:49 AM »
If your a tip up guy and are in an area that gets a lot of ice, do yourself a favor and get a auger.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:04 AM »
I would not leave home without a power auger, especially mid- late season.  Do what others already said and get a power auger, then think about the flasher.  You said you tip up fish, getting into jigging can be expensive in itself (jig rods, jigs, line. etc).  I am not sold at all on bring my makita on the ice to drill my holes, i like it a lot and its not waterproof.  Buy a power auger first, maybe find a deal on a flasher.  If not wait until next season for the flasher.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:11 AM »
I have a hand auger and mainly jig for perch with tip ups out for trout or pike.

Do you self a favor, buy a flasher. You have an auger, and  I assume you fish with others that too have augers. I'm sure they will gladly let you borrow there auger to cut holes, not so sure they would give up there flasher so you can catch fish. Tough it out this season drilling by hand, save again and look for a good auger deal in the off season. if you find that you don't like the flasher, I almost guarantee you could trade it for a power auger.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:21 AM »
id focus on a auger first. using a flasher without a good light power auger to move around with sucks
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Outlaw1222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I agree a flasher definitely increases your catch but like others have said it sucks to drill a bunch of holes by hand only to have no fish under you. I would look into perhaps buying a used power auger and a used flasher. Jmo
[imghttp://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg/img]

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I'd leave to go fishing without my power auger but not my flasher.   Think flasher first !                                    JUST A THOUGHT ...     fishing is best on first ice and last ice , that's when ice is thinner and easy to drill through by hand......
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:29 AM »
I would not leave home without a power auger, especially mid- late season.  Do what others already said and get a power auger, then think about the flasher.  You said you tip up fish, getting into jigging can be expensive in itself (jig rods, jigs, line. etc).  I am not sold at all on bring my makita on the ice to drill my holes, i like it a lot and its not waterproof.  Buy a power auger first, maybe find a deal on a flasher.  If not wait until next season for the flasher.

Yup, I misread your post. You already jig. I'd still buy the power auger. 
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I have a mora as my hand auger, a Jiffy as my power auger, and an FL8..... I take the hand auger until theres 12" of ice or more then I'll switch to the power auger.... When I fish with my hand auger or power auger I'll set my 5 tip ups up then go drill 10 more holes to jig in and when I get through all those I'll go drill 10 more.... Probably drill 20-50 holes when I'm on the fish and 50-100 holes a day when I have to search for fish. I still would go with the flasher you'll put a lot more fish on the ice with it and be a lot more mobile.... At the end of last season I purchased a lazer. Couldn't pass up the deal ($45) so that will be the auger I take with me most of the time now.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline RussW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Aaaaaa!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Get the flasher and you will have to drill less holes
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day... Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime!  

Who needs a boat when you can walk on water!!

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Hard to relate as where I live a power auger is essential.  Not sure how much ice you have to drill through.  Everything comes in time and so personally I would get an auger and start saving for a flasher, but everyone's situation is different.   :icefish:

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:39 AM »
$398.00 for a new flasher and ?99.00 for a lazer hand auger..still leaves u some cash for gas to go fishing  ;D

Offline ocSpecial

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but you just got out of the military?  So I imagine you are fairly young and well conditioned.  Drilling holes will be no problem by hand.  The main reason you're out there is to catch fish right.  Well the flasher will tip the odds into your favor a lot more than the power auger.  You said you mainly jig.  The flasher is what you want.  They change your whole outlook on jigging through the ice.  No more guessing.  But that's just my opinion.  What's more important?  Jigging or tip-ups?
Fish On!

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I would go with the flasher. Although using a hand auger blows, buy some new blades and suck it up. Good exercise as well. Just my two cents. Stay safe out there.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I'm pretty old and I still drill my holes by hand...
Get a flasher...  If you have anything left get a  Fin Bore 3 hand auger.....      ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Put your battery drill on the auger and go with a flasher.
2X on that.you need a flasher not a power auger
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I think about dragging weight.  If you have a wheeler and thats not an issue you can get a marcum 2.0 for around $200 or less if you look, then pick up a gas auger for around 300.  If your on foot like me, get the marcum troller 5.0 dual beam, thats in yOur limit, and has a small learning curve.
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Get the flasher and you will have to drill less holes

X2 - not even a question GET THE FLASHER.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I've been ice fishing 35+ years.  Didn't own a gas auger until 5 years ago.  The gas auger has made 20+/- trips to the ice and none in the last 2 years.
But if you're torn buy a marcum showdown troller <$200 & a gas auger.
Now I do use a drill and auger shaft.  But it does take a good drill which will set you back $2-$300 just for the drill.
Those that don't like the cordless drill option only feel that way because they tried an ordinary drill.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I'm in my 50's and didn't buy a power auger until last year. Gotta admit it was pretty handy to have with all that ice we had last year but I won't bother bringing it until the ice gets thick. Love the flasher and that goes every trip. In my book it's a no brainer...flasher first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.