Author Topic: clear sewing thread for line?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
clear sewing thread for line?
« on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Was in the store today and saw some and remembered I had read about anglers using it for ice fishing. Seems like a good deal...any idea what size would work?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: clear sewing thread for line?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:16 PM »
I know guys that use it and swear by it, but was wondering about the strength consistency?

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:29 PM »
The stuff I saw at wally world tonight had a few different sizes. If I recall something like .004, .005, and .006. The .006 seemed about the size of say 2 or 3# test but I could be wrong.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:33 PM »
The guys I know that use it are very careful when they get a fish up around the hole, always "slide" the fish out, being careful not to lift it out!  Don't know about diameters though.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Great on picky pannies, could see the bite if they were just sucking on the bait.
Bud

Offline bucktownboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Why not use Asso line ?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:02 PM »
You are better off buying the cheapest fishing line you can find then using Thread.
<===Lefty===

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Sufix ice magic:

Specifications

Test lb. Diameter (inches)
1  0.004 
2  0.004 
3  0.005 
4  0.007 
6  0.008 

why use sewing floss when you can get real fishing line that's comparable for a decent price

Catchin' Fish

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Just remember some old timers talking about using it and I saw it in the store. Wondering if anyone else used it. Seems as though after some reading I  may grab a small spool and try it on one of my shallow water setups.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:21 PM »
i would just assume to use line that is chemically and mechanically engineered for fishing.  i just would not want walmart sewing string to be whats between me and that wall mount crappie!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Its not Walmart brand, and apparently its a pretty good product. What caught me is the amount of thread you get for little money. Saw somewhere like 500 yards for 2.59! I'll have to grab some and let y'all know!

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:52 PM »
Back in the early 1970's I used it and it worked Ok.  there are lots of newer better things out there but I have no doubt it would still work today just maybe not as good as something newer.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:04 PM »
I've used mono-filament sewing thread for almost 6 years now. Started out using it on my smelting outfit, then I decided to use it for finicky panfish. Never had a panfish break me off, even caught some "bigger" fish on it. Here's a few of the "bigger" ones, the rod is 18" long for reference.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:03 AM »
Well if you insist on Thread, at least change it out often. Like you said it is cheap. And cheap you'll get.
<===Lefty===

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:21 AM »
People used invisible mending thread back in the day when light fishing lines were not yet around. It tests out at around 3/4 #.  A soft rod and loose drag are needed but it works. You can ge tippet material in fly fishing shops that have low diameters too even in fluorocarbon. Tie on 3' of that and leave the rest normal 4# test. If you break off you only lose a bit.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:22 AM »
Is this really a thread? Are you people serious just go buy fishing line what is wrong you all.......

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Is this really a thread? Are you people serious just go buy fishing line what is wrong you all.......

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
<===Lefty===

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:25 AM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I guess I was looking for replies from anglers who actually use or have used it. I can go buy fishing line any day. But figured I'd try something new. Nothing wrong with me just exploring option's.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:48 AM »
I guess I was looking for replies from anglers who actually use or have used it. I can go buy fishing line any day. But figured I'd try something new. Nothing wrong with me just exploring option's.

No there is nothing wrong with trying out something else. It's just some people,including me just don't understand why. And that is OK. Everyone has their own way of doing things and if it doesn't look right people will comment. Hope you the best and have a great Ice fishing season.
<===Lefty===

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:52 AM »
my  my  my, such interesting opinions.............. ..........that is what they are, right?

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
it is nylon sewing thread and the best place to get it is at like a JoAnn's fabric type store. it is quite inexpensive but that does not translate into poor performance. I have been using it for at least 5 years and have not changed some of it out yet. I do not however trust my reel drag in cold weather but prefer to back reel. I can't think of one time my line has broke and I have landed many 20+in trout(takes awhile to get hook back) and lots of 15" perch with it. It doesn't soak up water and is not as subject to uv light damage.     If you are set on only buying big name line a don't mind paying all the extra in advertising costs, more power to ya. I don't care to spend my money that way.

Any idea what size to use?

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:10 AM »
I noticed the spools I saw last night had .004/.005/ or .006 on them. Have to give one a whirl!

Offline perchmasterson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Why not use Asso line ?
X2
I'm cheap?

asso line 50 yards; $4-10
sewing line 250 yards; $3 and does everything I need it to
I normally only splice about 20 yards on top of regular mono to fill spool otherwise the whole spool of thread wouldn't come close to filling spool
I'm inclined to say size I use is .oo6

#I should have made a new post
actually you got me, I've never heard of asso line, sounds good and some of their varieties are comparably priced to thread.
did I mention we don't have ice yet, grrrrrrrr.            ops, sorry 

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Using sewing thread for fishing line ??  Sounds like something 'naughty' (knotty) is going to happen.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:35 PM »
I'm cheap?

asso line 50 yards; $4-10
sewing line 250 yards; $3 and does everything I need it to
I normally only splice about 20 yards on top of regular mono to fill spool otherwise the whole spool of thread wouldn't come close to filling spool
I'm inclined to say size I use is .oo6

#I should have made a new post

actually you got me, I've never heard of asso line, sounds good and some of their varieties are comparably priced to thread.
did I mention we don't have ice yet, grrrrrrrr.            ops, sorry

Cheap or not; you certainly can haul in slob yellas PM!  That being said I'd never chance a  trophy on sewing thread! My 2-3# ice braids last several seasons; along with the Asso fluoro leader spool. A value in my book. Tight lines!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:21 PM »
I used Singer Transparent Nylon Thread that I buy at Meijers with very good success for gills. I'm always open to try something different.
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:32 PM »
   Hey brother,I get ya! I was just at Walmart recently looking at the thread.Anybody can catch fish on " fishing line" I often look for more challenging options,just to push the edge.I am forever experimenting with primitive fishing techniques along with moden,fish on!

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:09 PM »
This is a controversial thread! Pun intended!!!

Wouldn't sewing thread take in water and freeze?
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:56 AM »
it was used back in the day because there were no light line options for ice fishing.  now that the market is what it is, it doesn't make much sense to the everyday angler to use it.  theres no real cost advantage, there is no strength or sight benefit either.   People that use it today essentially are just nostalgic and/or its always worked for them. 

i wouldnt' knock anyone using it.  just like guys that like going deer hunting with a longbow.  it harkens to a simpler time when ice fishing wasn't so you know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.