Author Topic: new to ohio  (Read 829 times)

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • some days u r the dog,others the hydrant
new to ohio
« on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:44 PM »
looking to plan a trip from syracuse newyork to fish for some 13lbeyes around cedar point in late jan early feb..read back through last year posts..not much info on bait shops and where to park???watched a few you tube vids and the action seems good..fished the last dozen years in bay of quinte.caught some nice eyes but ...any help on finding links to bait shops??where to stay ,where to launch from???and so long 4 now;john
salmon;the other pink meat

Offline dano1031

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: new to ohio
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:44 AM »
We fish for eyes off of catwab island we do extreamly well there is plently of hotels in port clinton. catawa is only 20 mins west of sandusky

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:37 PM »
thanxs for the input.and so long 4 now.john

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:56 PM »
last year was a banner year on the ice. lately they have been few and far between for good ice. We get out one year the next we don't. As far as the 13 pounders, possible??? Yes. Guys were having 40-80 fish days last year with tons of good eaters in the mix. Many more good eater days than hog days but you can them for sure. Like the other poster said Port Clinton is where you need to be and more than likely you would be leaving out of Crane Creek/Magee Marsh or Catawba. You can walk easier from Catawba than Magee but if both could be done on days when the  bite is closer to the ramps. We were travelling between 7-10 miles out of Magee last year and 3 plus miles from Catawba for a good bite. Many guys use quads but I am a believer of snowmobiles on erie for conquering drifts, shoves and cracks. Either way studs or chains are a must. Rickards Bait usually serves the ice crowd when there is ice but will only open when guys are getting out. As of now, our season this year is not looking nearly as good as last year but in a usual season good ice is not usually even thought of until at least mid january, at the earliest.
I would say to have a back up for Erie if you are taking vacation time from work, it can be hit or miss like I said. Hopefully, we get a good season this year as it is such a great time in the winter on Erie.

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:59 PM »
thanxs for the info..boq is a great time but its getting tough to even get on the ice, limited parking.plus crossing the border is not always fun.its would be an extra hr drive..if you believe its  worth the trip????boq has the same issue with safe ice.my favorite areas are now out of reach cause of lost of parking privilege...it would be sheaper to fish ohio i think..could you tell me where and how much a out of state license would cost??can you purchase them at bait shops..any and all info would be great,,and so long 4 now;john

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Safe ice is an issue here too. Like I said, some years great. Other not so good. As far as license, wait till you are sure we have good ice then log on to www.wildohio.com and get your license for a day 3 day or year. That way you don't waste your money on something that may not happen. Also visit that site for license costs etc. The limit does drop to four in March and April, but March ice was incredible fishing last year.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Safe ice is an issue here too. Like I said, some years great. Other not so good. As far as license, wait till you are sure we have good ice then log on to www.wildohio.com and get your license for a day 3 day or year. That way you don't waste your money on something that may not happen. Also visit that site for license costs etc. The limit does drop to four in March and April, but March ice was incredible fishing last year.

Offline johnnywalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2014, 01:05 PM »
thanxs for the link!!!!!!.and so long 4 now;john

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.