Author Topic: sienna v president  (Read 3110 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
sienna v president
« on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Hello everyone. give me some feedback on the two of these. I just got a sienna this year and have only used it slightly. Curious if anyone has experience with both and the good, bad, and ugly. I also got a trion and noticed when it got cold the reel was fairly stiff and the sienna was not. So, wasn't sure if the pflueger grease is known for this and if so will i need to take apart the brand new president and clean the grease out? I fish mostly outside. 5-35 degrees typically. thanks for any and all info. Oh, the biggest thing i forgot is the price. President is $50 and sienna is $30. Just want to make sure the extra price is worth it.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: sienna v president
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:28 PM »
I think I have 5 presidents now in various sizes. Love that reel. It's a real value. Don't know about the grease. I clean all my reels out and replace the factory stuff with Tri Flo.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Go with the Shimano. They have a silky smooth drag no matter the temp-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:33 PM »
I'm another guy sold on the presidents. Most of my spinning outfits have one on them.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:33 PM »
I think I have 5 presidents now in various sizes. Love that reel. It's a real value. Don't know about the grease. I clean all my reels out and replace the factory stuff with Tri Flo.

Rg

which tri flo product? grease or oil lube? ive read various reviews on guys using oil instead of grease on their ice reels to help with the cold stiffness.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:37 PM »
What size reels do you have of each type, it makes a difference. Is the trion a gx7 (pearl with wood handle knob) or the version 2 trion (white/black with rubber knob)?

The size 20 trion (white/black) is a bit stiff no matter what the temp...they're a little better when cleaned and lubed - smooth reel though. It will loosen up a slight amount as you use it more and more. My President (size 30 for open water only) isn't like this - neither are my size 30 trions.

You honestly cannot go wrong with either of the common offerings from both Pflueger or Shimano. They're great products for the money. A Sedona is more like a President while the Sienna is more like the Trion btw

I have a size 30 trion gx7 that's been jammed full of sand, flew out of my truck at 65mph, full of water, etc. and its still one of my most favorite reels. I've caught many, many fish with it and after 3 years its finally starting to sound funny - still operates smooth and reliably, however.

Catchin' Fish

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:39 PM »
thanks matzilla. currently i have the 500 sienna and new version trion with the rubber knob. Looking to stay with the smaller reel options.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Tri Flo liquid. I learned about it while I was gunsmithing. I never use grease of any kind. Less is better. Grease collects debris.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Sienna  :tipup:
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Tri Flo liquid. I learned about it while I was gunsmithing. I never use grease of any kind. Less is better. Grease collects debris.

Rg

Best way of cleaning out all the grease that the reels come with? I tried using a Q tip but there is a lot a guy can't get to so some kind of liquid is needed. 2 4 D? Hot water?

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:55 PM »
I also love my presidents but also have the Stradics too. Most of my reels have done a good job but my fishing is between 15-30 degrees and I keep them in my house when not in use.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Low VOC mineral spirits. Then wash with Dawn and hot water. Dry thoroughly, oil and re-assemble. Use old tooth brushes or whatever you have to get in the nooks and crannies.

Rg

Offline Bladik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Go with the Shimano. They have a silky smooth drag no matter the temp-

I agree. I have owned both and liked both. Very similiar in initial feel but the Shimano holds up better. I current use a Sarhara 500 on my UL ice rod and it is a trooper! Easily punches above it's weight class. Perrch, walleye to the errand steelhead it takes on all comers.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I've owned shimano reels.  My complaint is too many parts. The president is a pretty simple design. Fewer parts to fail over time. I think the bearing system is far better as well.

Rg

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:14 PM »
the sienna is what i would go with out of the two. i have a president and it freezes up and gets stiff too. it is on my ultra light for summer time now i cant handle getting out ice fishing and having equipment fail me. i personally fish lews reels and i love them. lews is top of the line in my opinion

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:34 PM »
the sienna is what i would go with out of the two. i have a president and it freezes up and gets stiff too. it is on my ultra light for summer time now i cant handle getting out ice fishing and having equipment fail me. i personally fish lews reels and i love them. lews is top of the line in my opinion
Wish cabelas had them online. Lews website shows them as a dealer but have never seen em. Look nice. I have cabelas pts that i need to burn so narrows my options a bit. Thanks

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I run siennas on open water and ice rods. Very nice reel for an "economy" reel. I have not had one break yet. I have not had a pflueger reel last more than 2 seasons of hard openwater use.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Pflueger President fan here.  In my opinion they are the best value for the money.  Great drags and mine have lasted a long time.

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Pflugers are great reels for the money, but the drags are horrible. If you buy one , douche it out with brake cleaner or soak the whole thing in kerosine and then treat liberally with quantum hot sauce.

The siennas or Sahara's you can take right out of the box and fish problem free for years.

Spend your money however you wish.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:11 PM »
The drag is different on nearly every pflueger, which did you have problems with?

A precision machine oil works wonders for lubing reels including the drag systems and bearings

Catchin' Fish

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Ive been a Pfluger President fan for awhile,especially after they did an upgrade a while back. I needed 2 new reels last ice season & bought 2 Siennas, thought id try em. No complaints with either reels. I did add 2 more reels this year, 2 Pfluger Supremes, will see how they work out when fishing them in the cold. 59.00 bucks apiece.

Offline cubanice27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:09 AM »
I have both and use both ice fishing and open water fishing. The sienna has the smoothest drag but dang let me tell you when looking for a nice smooth retrieve and when needing to use the reel for some quick action president beats out sienna. Tough call, but wither way Im a fan of both

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:00 AM »
what about a shimano symetre ? i got a coupon code for $20 off $100 i think they total out at 99.99 for the symetre  and $20 off that would be around $80 then if you use your point you get it cheaper? let me know if you did not get that $20 off in your e-mail i can pm you it.

the offer i got end December 24.

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Of the two choices, I would take the President. A better choice, though, is the Shimano Sedona.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:37 AM »
shimano.

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:47 AM »
I have several Presidents (6) in different sizes. I've never had problems with any of them. Love the smoothness . Also have a Supreme but prefer the President. Guess I'm pretty much a Pfluger fan. Never fished a Siennna so can't comment on them.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:40 AM »
what about a shimano symetre ? i got a coupon code for $20 off $100 i think they total out at 99.99 for the symetre  and $20 off that would be around $80 then if you use your point you get it cheaper? let me know if you did not get that $20 off in your e-mail i can pm you it.

the offer i got end December 24.

Oh yeah I have several Symetres.  Love them for icing.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I has a symetre earlier this year. Was a great reel for sure but I noticed veey little difference between it and my siennas. I sold it and bought 3 more siennas.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:08 AM »
kevin23
funny you brought that up i got a ton of those ixr series shimano's i use to use them for salmon fishing since switched to Mitchel 300 series reels those ixr are bullet proof even at 14.99 they stand up to hard charging salmon and still work when done "surprisingly enough", never seen a 15 dollar reel stand up to salmon and last long... there not a good reel by far but are bullet proof me i would rather a Sahara to the sienna's.   just thought since i am not using the coupon code i would offer it to him for a better reel? but there real is not difference if any in the sienna's to the symetre reels? except price ?that why i thought about the code mite help him step up if it saves him enough??   

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM »
I've been using sahara's love them super drags on them, 75.00 apiece.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.