Author Topic: battery powerd bait aerators  (Read 2255 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
battery powerd bait aerators
« on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Just curious how many guys use some sort battery operated device to bubble the water in there bait buckets while actively fishing for the day? I just picked up a 12 pack of d batts for really cheap. Wonder if anyone notices a difference on how long they get on a fresh set depending on Brand. On most brands I can get 2 days or a bit longer as long as its not cold.
Salmonemia

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: battery powerd bait aerators
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:44 AM »
can't say I can nail down a specific difference, although I typically do get either Duracell or Energizer ... when something needs batteries it's usually for something important (like fishing gear, tools etc) so I try to not go with a generic brand .. as it's usually not too huge a difference in price, but if there is any performance difference, it's a small chance to take for a bigger issue.. that's just my $0.02.  For the aerators, if it's going to be super cold some times I use those aerating tablets, and then just run the aerator occasionally during the day... seems to help doing it as a combo.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Thanks just got a dozen Panasonic d batts for 6.99 will see how they do.
Salmonemia

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:50 AM »
I just change the water often as needed.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:50 AM »
I dont use shiners but when I use minnows I add slush from drilling holes to the bucket until the water is near freezing. They keep for about a week without aeration this way.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:53 AM »
I was using cheap batts for awhile last year ... I think the Panasonics.

Didn't seem to last as long as name brand.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Thanks I'll use them up and see how it goes. Lately I use smelt. I like them to have plenty of 02,
Salmonemia

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:03 AM »
The Minnow Magic  cooler has been aerating and keeping them lively for 13 years now.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Have a small Oxygenator, silent and runs a whole season on four AA batteries.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:54 AM »
I do not use an aerator while out on the ice, but whenever I get home from a fishing trip I put a plug in aerator into my bait bucket.  I believe it is an aerator that is for fish tanks that I picked up at walmart for cheap.  Based on my experience the minnows should be fine.  One day of fishing without an aerator shouldn't kill anything as long as the water is cold.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:01 PM »
I have a good size cooler I have set up with an aerator when I travel 2 or 3 hours for a fishing trip. I like my local bait dealer and I have waited to buy bait at a dealer in the fishing area only to find real small bait or none at all. I don't take that chance anymore so I mostly use Goldens when I travel north for a 3 hour ride to fish Champlain and I don't lose any bait on the trip. Just a cheap one that I got a Walmart that takes 2 size D batteries and I mounted it outside and drilled a hole through the top to run the plastic tube for the bubbles.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:59 PM »
I use whatever D batteries are cheapest, and as long as they last that day I'm happy.
There are two reasons, one or aeration, the other is to prevent/delay icing in the bucket.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I have a aerator that takes d battery's I use rechargeable battery's with a small solar panel that I mounted to the  bucket that charges the batts during fishing when the suns out

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I just toss some snow or slush into my bucket every once in a while to keep it aerated. Never had a problem with massive bait death.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:05 PM »
  I use the drilled hole slush method on the ice but use battery aurator units overnight. I buy the largest package of Duracell's at home depot. Buying the big package greatly reduces the per battery cost.
John

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:44 PM »
I use aeration every time.  I use smelt and they like O2.  Last year I got lucky and bought 5 dozen just before the Winni derby then a lot of bait shops suffered from bait dying in transport.  My bait stayed healthy. All weekend on Duracell's and swapping out water.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I was talking to AJ about that smelt issue last year... people lost power due to the storm and he said one supplier lost a few hundred thousand smelt or some ridiculous number... and we all know how finicky those little guys can be for sure!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:31 PM »
You can bet I'll be getting my bait early again.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Wal-Mart has small ones that take 2 AA and says 20 hrs we will see but for $5 for the aireator it's worth a shot it's called baby bubbles in the sporting goods output of bubbled seems comparable to the one I have that takes d's

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I use aeration every time.  I use smelt and they like O2.  Last year I got lucky and bought 5 dozen just before the Winni derby then a lot of bait shops suffered from bait dying in transport.  My bait stayed healthy. All weekend on Duracell's and swapping out water.
Smelt definitely love oxygen. If I used smelt, I'd get an aerator for sure. They're so picky, keeping them alive is like raising children.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Children are way easier!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.