The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LOTW fish limits  (Read 1789 times)

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
LOTW fish limits
« on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I need some clarification on the possession limits on Four Mile Bay on Lake Of The Woods.  The regs say 8 not more than 4 can be walleyes. Aren't state wide limits 6?  Are these fish that are taken from LOTW to be gutted and gilled to transport home?

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: LOTW fish limits
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:28 AM »
comp, The possession limit on LOW is 8, only 4 may be walleye's! The other 4 can be sauger's. These are special regulation's, meant only for LOW since it is a border waterway. The slot limit's, if you are not already aware of them, are 19 1/2" to 28"! All fish in this slot must be released! However, you are permitted to keep one walleye over 28" as a trophy fish! I hope this clarified everything for you!  :tipup:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:43 AM »
I did call the DNR for some clarity on this: The fish must be kept in tact and have a licensed fish packers stamp on them, or keep a receipt from the resort/lodge that you are staying at if challenged on the possession limit.  One fish per clear plastic bag.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Now I'm confused! What are you supposed to do if you clean the fish yourself? ??? :tipup:DIRTBALL2 ;)2
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2014, 01:12 PM »
This really seems confusing to me also. My understanding is that as long as the fish are in tact and you can prove that you were fishing on TLOW (i.e. receipt) the possesion limits are as statedin the regs.  Now when I was up there 12/17/14 I was told by another fisherman that only the sauger had to be kept intact??  I believe (this is my opinion) the DNR are looking for the slot limits for the walleyes and the number of walleyes (no more than 4 can be walleyes) against the 8 possesion limit. 

Offline midwest_rodworks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Coming up to LOTW in 10 days, just curious as to how the law works.  Obviously, daily limit is set at 8 walleye/sauger, with no more than 4 walleye and one over slot.  Here in Nebraska, you have a daily limit and an overall possession limit, which is double your daily limit, example; Nebraska walleye limit is 4 daily/8 possession.  My question is does Minnesota fish and game regulations follow this or is the combined 8 my limit for my 2 night stay in a sleeper shack?
"Balance in all things"

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I read the regs as daily & possession the same.  In other words if you limit out the first day, you better eat some so you can fish more the 2nd day. 

That is how we do it on Upper Red. 

Offline Meterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Winter limits on LOTW-MN are 8 walleye/sauger of which only 4 can be walleye.   Possession limit is same as day limit.  With sauger, leave the skin on the filets and leave the backbone with the large spotted dorsal fin attached (cut the backbone off behind the head).   With walleye, just have to leave the 1" square patch on the filet.   this is the way the guides clean your fish for travel at Arnesen's.  Summer LOTW limit is 6 walleye sauger.   Also, for you out of staters, only fish with 2 rods maximum.   Fishing has been slow on LOTW.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.