The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How close is to close  (Read 2690 times)

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
How close is to close
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:40 PM »
So we probably beat this horse already but it is interesting to me. How close do you fish to other people?  I don't enjoy combat fishing much but maybe I am just a Hermit. What is everybody else's bubble like? If it was up to me eyesight is to close but definitely earshot.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How close is to close
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:52 PM »
My ice fishing standards are a lot different than my river fishing standards. I try to set up at least 75-100 yards from others when I get out to a lake that has lots of people in the area general area. If someone new sets up closer than that after I've already established my area, well, hey...I can't stop them but I wonder why they are fishing on top of me!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:11 PM »
If there is no chance of tangles when "fish-on"  what's the worry ?

On the other hand, my  .40 holds about a 2" group at 100 yds.   

I'm not sayin' to spread targets, but it may inspire second thoughts of encroachment.     :whistle:

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I like that maybe it's time to target practice  and people will keep there  distance. So why do u think the standards are different open water vs hard? I have had people setup so close I can almost feel their heater. But it gets that way with hunting too I guess.

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I tend to only fish Georgetown and people can come as close as they like. On multiple occasions I have invited people to post up right next to me if i am having luck and they are not. I feel like the more jigging around the more salmon will come around. I have never noticed a slow down in my fishing.  On rivers it all depends on the location and time of year. Sometime there are only a couple of holes to go around

Offline fuzz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:28 PM »
I don't mind company unless I'm tip up fishing n ppl put there's in between mine like last yr on Noxon n I freaked out but I like talking with ppl

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I think that's why I got that way is with tipups. I started ice fishing with tip ups and I hate the way people act with them either setting right in the middle of mine or worse when they start pulling my tip ups. I have gotten to the point were I get annoyed when they point out my flags.maybe I am just getting cranky. It's one thing when your invited to fish next to someone but just go post up next to them is annoying. Especially when you've put in the legwork of scouting out good fishing n u get your spots poached.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:58 PM »
But it's kinda like this site just this one post I see over 140 views and 6 posts. Everyone wants the info but no one wants to contribute  ??? Lots of lurkers

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:07 PM »
The responses are at about the same ratio of those catching fish to those fishing, ha.    4%.    :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Shanty Closed Go away
Shanty Open come and talk
Not really but
If some is going to fish close to me i would rather have communication

Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline Cranker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:37 PM »
I was ice fishing in Minnesota a few years ago and we hear a truck pull up outside of our ice house and no kidding they put their permanent fish house 4 feet from the back of our pop up.  Completely different world out there as to what is acceptable compared to MT.  Here in MT....I don't want to be within 100 yards of someone regardless of how I am fishing.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:45 PM »

I bought a shirt at scheels just for ice fishing. 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Are u going to hang that on the outside of your house? I think I am going to paint it on mine.

Offline timberbutte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:12 PM »
I dunno, I've made some friends inviting strangers to drill holes next to me. Especially if they are beginners, or the ice sucks on their home lake(Ferry) where they usually crush em, or they have little kids... This isn't exactly opening day of elk season. I hate for this to become one of THOSE outdoors sites. Maybe it's all about the invitation.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Sunnyslope, open water is different because you need more room to fish.  You cast long distances in different directions.   You are also a lot more mobile in a boat or wading a river. Fish also seem spookier during open water.  Ice fishing, you are only fishing directly beneath you or your tipup.   There is no lateral distance to be covered from casting and retrieving. Open water is more dynamic than hard water.  I still like my space when hardwater fishing.  50-100 yards is usually a good minimum for me.  Sometimes when I am fishing a crowded point in shallow water during early ice, there may be a half dozen to a dozen ice houses within shouting distance.  in that circumstance, I don't mind the crowd because that is where the fish are concentrated.  People generally won't mind an extra person anyway.  If I show up and there is only one party, I go somewhere else.  Other times, if I am fishing a secret underwater hump or ledge or sunken island, that I went through great lengths to find and there is no one within a square mile, and someone comes roaring up on a 4 wheeler and starts drilling holes, I'm going to be pretty upset.  I guess it just depends on the situation.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:39 PM »
I like those posts. I think within reason it's great. I am known For making laps and chatting with people in fact a few times it kept me from getting skunked but I think it's good manners to fill it out a little before setting up camp. I get annoyed with whole public lake screw u let's share holes and secrets, how's your lunch give me a bite. It's kinda like the fishing conditions how many times do people rely on others to do their scouting on thickness of ice? If I got to spend a tank of gas driving there some times multiple times and gpsing a location and the guy comes out and hangs off my shirt tail I get aggravated. I think good manners go along way. That's what I think I was going for what is the general thoughts of good distance? It looks like 50-100 yards?

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:53 PM »
For me the rules change a little depending where I'm at. Some places I fish I don't move at all the whole day. Those fish are cruising and I feel more comfortable with people closer. I try to always be the first one out there, that way I'm always good. If someone wants to set up close that's their decision. If I'm on Peck or Nelson that distance is much farther. I don't remember it ever really being a big deal, though. I'm there to have fun, and pretty damned laid back. @)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:50 AM »
There are many good thoughts in this thread. I've seen that shirt before Strip and it was made for a reason!! ( I'd wear it!!!)  But it also depends on the situation. For example, at Georgetown, your catching 7" salmon and 15-18" rainbows, not to much to get to bent out of shape about. There is a lot of area up there that holds fish, the fish bite and it's a great area to be social.
I can see people getting bent out of shape about tip ups, especially when you are only allowed two. BUT! If your fishing in a bay that's 300 yard long and 100 yards wide and you put a tip up at each end of the bay and think that the entire bay is yours, that's really going to irritate people.
Wyogator, also made great points. If I've done the leg work to find and pinpoint areas that are very small but are holding quality fish, I'm going to be irritated if I can even hear you.
Caveat...I will be way more tolerant if they are noobs, and just exploring and don't have any idea what they are doing. Also, a please and a thank you goes a real long way, as well as asking if if you can fish in the general area. If I'm new to an area, I always go talk to people and get the feel of their demeanor. After talking for a bit, about wolves or hunting or whatever people generally get pretty receptive to company if you ask if you can fish in the general area. I'll even ask if I'm too close if I think I'm pushing it.

Offline MontanaTom79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:59 AM »
I'm gonna set shop next to missoulafish! Lol  ;D
Tight Lines... Team rippin' n lips

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:01 AM »
Lol!! You don't count since I know you hahaha!!!

Offline MontanaTom79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:09 AM »
It doesn't matter to me plenty of fish out there if someone wants to set up next to me no problem. If they can tolerate me being rowdy even better. Better yet if they can tolerate my kids running around causing havoc. More power to them. Lol I'm usually the first on ice. I like to have my first pick. ;D
Tight Lines... Team rippin' n lips

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:57 AM »
I typically prefer some distance between myself & others. I don't mind the visitors that stop by for some hardwater chitchat or the people who ask me to punch them a few holes because their hand auger just isn't cutting it. What I don't like is people camped right next to me. Kind of ruins the whole freeing up my mind peaceful alone time vibe I have going. Most people have boundaries & respect the boundaries of others. Can't ask for much more than that.

Offline elksecutioner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:44 AM »
As an ice fishing noob, I just want to thank everyone here for their thoughts.  Better to learn these things here than through trial-and-error in the field.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:08 AM »
I typically prefer some distance between myself & others. I don't mind the visitors that stop by for some hardwater chitchat or the people who ask me to punch them a few holes because their hand auger just isn't cutting it. What I don't like is people camped right next to me. Kind of ruins the whole freeing up my mind peaceful alone time vibe I have going. Most people have boundaries & respect the boundaries of others. Can't ask for much more than that.

Couldn't of said it better.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:08 AM »
]

Offline craver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I try to get at least 75 yds but normally I try to fish opposite of where the groups are.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:35 AM »
So do you guys have some creative ways to keep people away from your spots? Like that shirt or such. Every year seems like I gotta come up with away to tell people move over aways.

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:40 AM »
One time we had some guys post up maybe 30 feet from one of our hottest tipup halfway through the morning.  We're not sure if they randomly picked that spot, knew about the particular structure, or had been watching us chase tipups before deciding to fish.  They gridded out a bunch of holes and put up their tipups.  The entire lake was empty since it was midweek and there are plenty of known good spots on this lake.  Our group thought that it was pretty douchey (sorry to use that word but this word fit so well).

So I guess I'd say when the lake is empty with good ice any closer than 100 yards especially with tipups is too close.  On smaller lakes or areas with limited access, I try to stay as far away as possible but still within the needed structure/depth.

Offline sunnyslope

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Just thought of the perfect analogy..  It's kinda like the urinals in public restroom you got to have that buffer zone.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Its public water so you can setup wherever you want,be cordial and respectful enough to leave a buffer between our gear and well get along fine.
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.