Author Topic: Fishing Near Yorkton  (Read 2382 times)

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing Near Yorkton
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:16 PM »
New to this area and would like to get it fishing round here. I usually fish the south and get out as much as possible.  So if anyone could direct me to a Lake near by or what you do if you live in yorkton where do ya head out?  Thanks guys.
A Bad Day Of Fishing Is Still Better Than A Good Day Of Working!!

Offline ProV1X

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing Near Yorkton
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Haved fiished Lake of the Prairies a few times in the winter. Near Hwy 10, Dropmore and at the south end on the inside point. Never been skunked. Careful driving on though. Old creek bed has current and thinner ice.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Good spirit 25 min north of yorkton has good fishing

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Anyone know the regulations on Lake of the prairies?  In regards to sk or mb license? How does that work?

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Anyone know the regulations on Lake of the prairies?  In regards to sk or mb license? How does that work?

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:18 AM »
A sask or Manitoba licence is valid on lake of the praries, it is a barbless lake and there is size regulations on the lake, can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head but check the fishing regs it's all listed in there

Offline Brandon82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:32 AM »
The whitesand river is located just north of Theodore

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:18 PM »
in lake of the praries you can use either license but you are allowed live minnows

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:20 PM »
From the 2014 Manitoba Angler's Guide www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardship/fish/pdf/2014AnglersGuide.pdf ...

SPECIAL REGULATIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL WATERS

Lake of the Prairies and its tributaries, including the Shell River west of PTh 83 and the Assiniboine River downstream to the bridge at Shellmouth (PR 549) - walleye limit is 4; all walleye between 45 cm and 70 cm must be released. All pike over 75 cm must be released. Anglers may fish with either a Manitoba or Saskatchewan angling licence upstream from the Shellmouth Dam (see border waters - page 5).
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Thanks for the info... I have since been on lake of he prairies a couple times just near the bridge on the highway. Only have caught a few perch real nice ones but only a few. Anywhere else a guy could go around here to try and catch some nice pike or walleye? Just looking for lakes not spots. Wanting to get out as much as possible before heading back to work  :'(

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Stick with lake of the prairies. It's a Great Lake for big walleye. Try farther down the lake towards the shell mouth dam. Good spirit can also produce well but the guys that I know that fish don't even bother being on the ice before 4pm. Supposed to be a good evening bite there

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:04 PM »
Thanks.. Does. Guy have to worry about the lake? As far as driving down the lake? Or how far is that down the lake? You can PM me if ya like. And as far as the night bite was that at good spirit? Just trying to get an idea of where to go to get some fish on the ice. Thanks again

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Besides the lakes suggested you could also ice fish at Whitesand / Theodore Reservior, Goose / McOuat Lake and the lakes in the Qu'Appelle valleye like Round and Crooked.

There are also trout to be had a Wilson and Lady Lake. 
Both the trout lakes may or may not be aerated so use caution on them. :-\

WW

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Thanks.. Does. Guy have to worry about the lake? As far as driving down the lake? Or how far is that down the lake? You can PM me if ya like. And as far as the night bite was that at good spirit? Just trying to get an idea of where to go to get some fish on the ice. Thanks again
Yes the evening bite is supposed to be good at good spirit, I have heard of it being good at lake of the prairies as well. I have only been on lake of the prairies once this year and I wasnt to far away from where you were so I cant speak for ice conditions farther south down the lake.

Offline BigO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:18 PM »
That's interesting about Good Spirit. I fished it regularly in the 70"s and it was always a great evening bite. 4pm on. Winter and Summer. Haven't been back for 35 years. Some Good Things never change!!!!

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:55 AM »
Any way you could recommend a route to get to shellmouth from Yorkton? Thinking of trying to head there tomorrow morning.... Thanks.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2015, 04:21 PM »
its been about 8 years since I have driven there, so my memory is a little fuzzy, I would recommend trying google maps.

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. Going to try it next week. Thanks again

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:53 PM »
let us know how you make out

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Does anyone know how the ice is at lake of prairies? Looking to try and get out one last time before the end of the year.... Thanks for any info... Just don't want to get there to be disappointed and cant get on....

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:10 PM »
fishin-crazy, you may want to ask about Lake of the Prairies on the Manitoba form as well. ;)

WW

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2015, 10:18 PM »
If driving on is what your looking for, I wouldn't even chance it! Youll be safe with a quad or for sure walking! Was out at Theodore this past weekend and still 2ft of ice! Just my thoughts! Be safe out there!   :P

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:43 PM »
Hey guys, just posting to see if anyone knows if the nearby lakes are doing any good? Been out to the bridge at lake of the prairies a few times and did ok few walleye and some decent perch.. Just dropping a line to see how any other lakes are doing, as I have yet to try any others...
Thanks again......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.