The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Coyote Night Season begins tonight-No bag limit-Visited our yard last night  (Read 986 times)

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I was awoken this morning at 5 am to yelping. I see the motion light over the garage is on, so I go take a look from the 2nd floor and there is a coyote, right next to my truck in the driveway. Not happy, as we have a small dog who knows no danger. When I went out this morning there was a faint smell in the air, almost like a mild skunk, maybe marking from the coyote. There were a lot of tracks around where our dog went to the bathroom, probably smelling feces of our dog. I'll see if I get woken up again, some decisions need to be made about what to do. I let our neighbors know as well. Then I see in the paper that the season for coyotes at night opened today with no bag limit, except they give them a break on Sundays. Good Luck.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
It sounds like you have some hunting to do. 

They're probably hungry at this point. I saw a fox around noon just off the parking lot where I work in Lewiston yesterday. I watched him for a couple of minutes because he didn't seem to care that I was there, and I thought he might be rabid. Then I noticed that it looked like he was stalking something, and from behind the stone wall came a squirrel. I was no more than 40 yards from him and he knew I was there, but he didn't care.   

I've never had a reason to hunt coyotes, but I know a couple of people back in New Hampshire who had to take care of them after they got after sheep or came in too close to homes like you're describing. The bait I've heard of is a live or dead lamb. If I were you, I'd follow the tracks back far enough into the woods where you can bait and set up with a spot light about 50 yards from the bait. There isn't much to eat right now, so any stinky meat is going to smell pretty good to them.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just a mile west of that location I saw lots of tracks and heard them other nite and fresh cat tracks in the snow near houses. in No hunting zone. That's must be where all the turkeys went.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
if they get in bigger packs they lose their fear! good time to invest in a AR w/ a good scope. that'll whack em' good! control them before they kill of your game and pets.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If you have pets I would shoot a few and the rest will move on and leave your area, they can really do a number on the game in the area to and they multiply fast I would take action if I were you

Offline kdcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
6 weeks ago they took down this lamb right in the back yard, ate her alive.  They have never come thru our yard before due to the 2 big male dogs marking turf.  The deer out there every nite was to tempting.  Realize it is Mother Nature at work but have a hard time w/ the fact that they do not kill their prey just take it down and start ripping and eating.  After 2 weeks of sitting on the deck w/ the Plott hound ( he will alert me that the coyotes are near long before I would know ) in come the 3 of them.  Only 1 left the yard and he/she has not been back.

Offline jtlambo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay thirsty my friends....
6 weeks ago they took down this lamb right in the back yard, ate her alive.  They have never come thru our yard before due to the 2 big male dogs marking turf.  The deer out there every nite was to tempting.  Realize it is Mother Nature at work but have a hard time w/ the fact that they do not kill their prey just take it down and start ripping and eating.  After 2 weeks of sitting on the deck w/ the Plott hound ( he will alert me that the coyotes are near long before I would know ) in come the 3 of them.  Only 1 left the yard and he/she has not been back.

Nice work, im gonna see if I can smash a few in the next couple weeks when I'm home as well. Keep up the good work.

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
do yotes taste good??

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
The only good coyote looks like this  ;D

Wayne in your area of Falmouth it's a tough thing discharging a firearm ,  folks may call police! i know you don't have a home or dwelling within 300 ft or 100 yards of your home , but you can't depend on local police to know or understand hunting laws !  The last thing I am sure you want is Police storming your house with guns drawn with your wife and daughter around ! So after talking too you last night about this problem  :-\ I would put a post on my hunting.Com and try to find a trapper that's trapping in the southern Maine area and give him permission to access your land and put some traps out in the woods around your house ;)

Just my 2 cents

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be Careful if you plan on starting to hunt Coyotes....if you thought ice-fishing is addictive lol... I started out with a simple light, cheap call and my deer rifle. Now- I have enough gear to make the guys at ATF nervous. But I tend to make things more complicated than they really are. If these dogs havnt been hunted they will come readily to a call. Pay attention to the wind and limit any movement and you will get your chance. Shoot a few and they get smart real fast. Good-Luck

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
The only good coyote looks like this  ;D

Wayne in your area of Falmouth it's a tough thing discharging a firearm ,  folks may call police! i know you don't have a home or dwelling within 300 ft or 100 yards of your home , but you can't depend on local police to know or understand hunting laws !  The last thing I am sure you want is Police storming your house with guns drawn with your wife and daughter around ! So after talking too you last night about this problem  :-\ I would put a post on my hunting.Com and try to find a trapper that's trapping in the southern Maine area and give him permission to access your land and put some traps out in the woods around your house ;)

Just my 2 cents

Excellent advice- I often forget that not all of us live somewhere you can shoot off your back porch. If you do have enough room to shoot- touch base with your neighbors beforehand. It does get tense when the Sheriff shows up and sees he is outgunned

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
definitely get him quick. it seems i only see them this time of year and they show no fear. had one hit the door as i was shutting it one night, just got the dog in.  and now that you mentioned that slight skunk smell......

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I used to night hunt coyotes in Falmouth quite a bit,theres a ton of them.We just gave the wardens and the cops a heads up ahead of time and never got bothered,it's not like your blasting off shots left and right.Shotgun (Falmouth is shotgun only) with a rifled barrel and sabots will reach out accurately to 100 yards no problem.Also,Falmouth's no discharge law is 500 ft. from a dwelling as opposed to the regular 100 yards.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.