Author Topic: New to the forum and ice fishing.  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Crazinamatese

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the forum and ice fishing.
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Just dropping in to introduce myself. I live in western WI. Looking to get into ice fishing so I will be reading alot of these discussions and maybe have a few questions.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New to the forum and ice fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Welcome!

First things first. Take out a second mortgage and build the addition to your garage. You're gonna need the room ;)

A few more posts and you'll be able to see the whole forum (3 I think).

Have fun and so away.
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Crazinamatese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Thanks! Here is kinda run down on what I have so far. I have a hand auger, a couple of jig rods, folding chair, some soft plastic bait, assortment of panfish jigs, big plastic sled to keep all my stuff in, slush scoop, LED lamp, 5 gallon bucket, and a few other things. Im sure I have what I need just to get started. I been looking for a small portable shack on some buy/sell/trade pages but nothing really out there recently. Im using mostly used stuff right now as I don't want to dump a ton of money into brand new name brand stuff right away as Im just getting started. Im looking to focus on panfish right now. They are a fun fish to catch. So any good advice for beginner like myself is welcome.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Worry more about keeping safe and warm than how much high tech stuff you have.

Ice picks!
Spud
Signal whistle

Good boots and socks
Under layers
Outer wear
Gloves
Hat

Ice fishing stinks if you're cold or wet.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Crazinamatese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I have plenty of cold weather stuff ;). I spend alot of time bowhunting here in WI so Im good to go. Do you guys carry those 'ice picks' in case you fall through the ice? I seen them at a Wal-Mart and decided to pass on buying them. Not sure if they are one of those things that are a 'must have' item.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:13 PM »
I have plenty of cold weather stuff ;). I spend alot of time bowhunting here in WI so Im good to go. Do you guys carry those 'ice picks' in case you fall through the ice? I seen them at a Wal-Mart and decided to pass on buying them. Not sure if they are one of those things that are a 'must have' item.
Its all personal preference, I wear mine sometimes other times i dont.. Real easy  to make at home if you got the time.. I made mine out of some scrap 1 inch diameter dowel.. Drilled a hole about 2 1/2 inches deep in the end of the dowel enough to stick a 12 nail with the head cut off it in... Little wood glue, spin the rope on the handle and black tape it to the dowel and batta bing batta boom no money spent at wally world
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Welcome aboard Crazin! 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Yes!
Ice picks will save your life!

Rg

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I've got a pair of those I keep right in the sleeves of my ice jacket.  They have a long cord that goes from arm to arm. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Welcome! Ice picks should be at the top of your " must have list " as the old saying goes : better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Offline cubanice27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Welcome to the forums!! Im pretty new myself, however...... GET THE ICE PICKS ($10) AND A SPUD BAR (cabelas has the HT "ice chisel" for $20) PRONOTO!! ESPECIALLY IF FISHING ALONE.... DOUBLE ESPECIALLY IF YOU PLAN ON DRINKING EVEN A LITTLE BIT!! 1 Guy already fell in the ice here in illinois that I know of and had the picks on hand.

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Welcome!  As stated... always put safety first!
Fish On'

Offline phatboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Welcome aboard any thing you want to know you'll be able to find out right here!!!

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty! Lots of great info here.... Do you have any electronics? If not you may want to invest in a used flasher to help you stay on top of the fish. I started with a vexilar fl-8 and it changed my whole approach to ice fishing nearly 15 years ago. Knowing if the fish are underneath you is an invaluable tool....and knowing when their not there can help you decide when it's time to drill some more holes.... Stay Safe and good luck out on the ice this season!

Offline Crazinamatese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:06 AM »
I have no electronics or flashers. I been looking at them at stores and online, but the high prices are keeping me away. So it looks like I will be rolling the dice with every hole I drill for now. :-\

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:45 AM »
My first 10 years of ice fishing were without electronics and I had a blast.  The electronics are certainly fun, kind of like a video game and they take alot of the guess work out of getting into fish but I still find myself turning off the Lowrance and fishing blind.  There is just something fun about getting hit without seeing it coming.   Get yourself an old school depth finder that you tie onto the end of your line, work the points, coves and structure that you would during open water and have fun.  Also see if there are topo maps availabe for the water that you plan on fishing.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:37 AM »
I have no electronics or flashers. I been looking at them at stores and online, but the high prices are keeping me away. So it looks like I will be rolling the dice with every hole I drill for now. :-\

Welcome to the madness! I thought the same thing (about the prices) until I watched a guy fish with a flasher. He was jigging on the bottom (10") and the pike would swim through about 6". He reeled up real fast and WHAM! He never would have caught it hanging on the bottom. I saved up some money and bought one. Never been happier.

And 2X on the safety gear!!!!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Kayak Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Welcome to the forums.  I am grew up ice fishing however I just started back up a few years ago. I bought a flasher the first year I started ice fishing again.  To be exact I picked up a Ice-55 and then 6 month later I ended up picking up a Hummingbird 597 which has the capability to use as a flasher.  Long story short wait a season or two for electronics until you decide exactly what you want. 

Offline Crazinamatese

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I been searching more about fish finders and depth finders and found this. http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/showdown-troller/SHWD-T.html?start=1&cgid=marcum-sonar   
I have seen this one used on a youtube video with some guys ice fishing and looks like it works good. Anyone have good experience with this one? Its something I think I can comfortably spend money on sometime down the road. I also scored a Clam 2000 portable 2 man shack today for $50. A Craigslist ad surfaced late last night and I made a call and the nice lady turned down other buyers after me until I came over to look at it and decide whether or not I wanted to buy it. Its in good shape so I couldn't resist. Im getting out for the first time hopefully on Saturday. I have some intel where the panfish are biting good. I think I will make a stop at the local bait shop to get more info. Thanks guys for chiming in. I really appreciate it. Can't wait...

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Welcome to ice shanty and ice fishing. Lots of great information on this site to make your ice fishing adventures more enjoyable.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Do you have a boat or kayak? If so you may want to consider buying a Lowrance or Humminbird. They can be used all year round for open water and hard water. I used the Showdown Troller last year and found it to be a decent unit. The one thing I didn't like about it was I couldn't tell if I was marking any fish on the bottom or not.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Welcome to IS, another great piece of safety equipment is about 100 feet of nylon or poly rope and a 5 gallon bucket. I drilled a hole in the bucket (about halfway down)and threaded the rope through the hole, tie a knot on the outside and double knot on the inside of the bucket. Then coil the rope neatly around the outside of the bucket with the bail handle up. Tie a loop in the end of the rope to hold on to when you throw the bucket to some one who has broke threw the ice. It never hurts to be prepared! ;D

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Just dropping in to introduce myself. I live in western WI. Looking to get into ice fishing so I will be reading alot of these discussions and maybe have a few questions.
Welcome to IceShanty!  And rgfixit nailed it, once you're hooked, it's time for a second job/mortgage to fund the addiction!   ;D

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:54 AM »
I been searching more about fish finders and depth finders and found this. http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/showdown-troller/SHWD-T.html?start=1&cgid=marcum-sonar   
I have seen this one used on a youtube video with some guys ice fishing and looks like it works good. Anyone have good experience with this one? Its something I think I can comfortably spend money on sometime down the road. I also scored a Clam 2000 portable 2 man shack today for $50. A Craigslist ad surfaced late last night and I made a call and the nice lady turned down other buyers after me until I came over to look at it and decide whether or not I wanted to buy it. Its in good shape so I couldn't resist. Im getting out for the first time hopefully on Saturday. I have some intel where the panfish are biting good. I think I will make a stop at the local bait shop to get more info. Thanks guys for chiming in. I really appreciate it. Can't wait...

Welcome to Ice Shanty!!  I fished for years, most of them, as a matter of fact, without the electronics.  did just fine using "old timer's information"!  I do have the Troller showdown.  It works well for me, I use it on ponds, small and large lakes.  It was reasonably priced and i didn't get trounced by the other half for spending the money.  I like it as you do not have to drill a hole for finding out depth and see'n if there are fish in the area, put a little water on the ice, place the transducer on the ice, and presto, you can tell depth, see fish if they are close to or off the bottom, and be able to slide it along a little to see if you are around structure.  Saves a lot of drilling time!! if your panfish'n, small teardrop jigs work well most of the time, tip with waxies, spikes or maggots and maybe redworms, as a bait list for the most part.  I love a mess of bluegill and/or crappie fried fresh when I get home!!  Good luck, and wish you warm (cold weather) welcomes!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:13 AM »
Welcome If you look through the electronics section of the Equipment Community/board there are numerous threads about flashers. Depending on how many lines you are allowed to use in your area ,you may want to look at a device called a tip down.
Steve

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:02 AM »
Build a smitty sled to haul your stuff with, You'll be glad you did.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Welcome to IS!!!
Another vote for safety gear...Ice picks and a rope...a must in my opinion!
Regarding jigging for pan fish, CPace had some good info...small jigs tipped with mousiess, spikes, etc. They are an inexpensive bait to add to the jig and will tripple your catch.  The panfish love the little extra "meat" on the jig.
Good luck...be safe...enjoy...and keep the posts coming!!
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Welcome to the shanty, great info here. ;D
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Crazinamatese:  Welcome, your in my old stomping grounds.  and yes, having your safety gear on you and knowing what to do is VERY IMPORTANT.  Take it from me.  60 plus years on ice, and first time I went in was December 19th last year, I am VERY lucky to be alive. Google up some Ice Safety videos, know what your up against.  Both me and my fishing buddy went in.  I should have died, as my core temp was down to 83.  I could/should have passed out and drowned.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.