The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 5 or 6" Lazer  (Read 659 times)

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
5 or 6" Lazer
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:22 PM »
I currently own a 5 and 8" lazer hand auger. I use the 5" mostly when I'm targeting perch/gills/crappies. I was thinking about switching up to a 6" just for the crappies. I've caught some nice size crappies last year. The biggest ones where white crappies. I think if they were black crappies they wouldn't of been able to fit through the hole. I just want to know what your guys/gals thoughts are on using a 6" hole for crappies.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: 5 or 6" Lazer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I currently own a 5 and 8" lazer hand auger. I use the 5" mostly when I'm targeting perch/gills/crappies. I was thinking about switching up to a 6" just for the crappies. I've caught some nice size crappies last year. The biggest ones where white crappies. I think if they were black crappies they wouldn't of been able to fit through the hole. I just want to know what your guys/gals thoughts are on using a 6" hole for crappies.

I use a 7" give that extra room for the transducer and perfect for tip ups.... only when the power auger comes out do I use a bigger hole

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:51 PM »
I can confirm a 15" crappie will barely fit through a 5". Not sure how "nice" your fish are but if they are in the 14-15" range id move to the 6in.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:03 PM »
I use a 6" for crappies and it works great.  I'm not getting any 15 inch crappies so I can't speak to that but for your run of the mill crappies, a 6 is just fine. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Biggest crappie I pulled out of a 5" hole was a 14" white. Have pulled quite a few 12-13 1/2". I know the lake has some bigger crappies that are 14-17".

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:29 PM »
14-17" crappies?  ;D  If I got in my car and left Minneapolis tonight, how long would it take me to get to Rochester Hills?  I've got a couple of meetings at work tomorrow but I could probably cancel those ;D 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I have and use a lot a 4", two 5", a 6", a 7" Lazers. You will never regret have choices for hole size as the season moves on. Different lakes and different conditions call for adjustments to strategy. If you have the gear you level the playing field.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.