The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: still looking for the best power auger!!!!?? HELP  (Read 2917 times)

Offline packers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • insufficient funz
still looking for the best power auger!!!!?? HELP
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Im set on buying a power auger but am really struggling with which one. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to a strikemaster lazer mag  or the new lithium strikmaster or the ion. Any advice or opinions are appreciated!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: still looking for the best power auger!!!!?? HELP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Here we go again!  ;D
 I have owned several augers and the one I own now is a Strikemaster 10" Magnum with the 2hp Solo engine.  Best auger ive ever owned. 4 years now, never leaks, always starts, Best running engine Ive had. I think your Mag comes with a 2.5 hp Solo it should kick axe-

And oh yeah, I run whatever gas I have mixed with whatever 2-stroke oil I have on hand.  Usually cheap Pennzoil. Loves it.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:38 PM »
STRIKEMASTER go big or go home

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Flip a coin at the store, buy the winner. You can't go wrong with Strikemaster. ;D

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:51 PM »
not a fan of buying batteries when (not if) they go bad. go with the mag.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:21 PM »

just more information to help you pick the best auger for you

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:38 PM »
I watched the lith ion auger punch 103 holes or whatever. Thats cool, but it cost $600 and an extra battery is $250. Thats just stupid! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Go propane and never look back . I have the jiffy pro 4 with an 8" drill and love it .

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I second the propane after my friends saw mine last year they all bought one.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:55 PM »
For what it's worth...
I always ran a jiffy model 30 2 stroke, and it NEVER failed me on the ice. I loved that auger and said I would never part with it.... Well, I did. I bought a Jiffy propane 10"and as much as I loved the model 30's, I do not regret trading up for the pro4. It is reliable, and starts up 1st or 2nd pull every time. no BS. I would think about a propane fueled auger before a battery one. Batteries do not work efficiently in the cold and inevitably die. I don't know where the ions are selling for $600, but in my area they run same price as the pro4 at a little over $500
My only other suggestion is to try them out before you buy. most folks know enough ice fisherman with different augers so they could borrow or at least cut a few holes.
a few years ago, I walked over to an unknown guy ice fishing near by, and after a short chat with him, I was admiring his new jiffy pro4. He was gracious enough to let me try it, so I cut a few holes for him with it, and found the auger I wanted.
Chasing Ice

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Its the strikemaster "Lithium Lazer" 50volt.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Try looking over these specs. Then tell me there is a better auger out there.
http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-shark-71cc-10-power-ice-auger
<===Lefty===

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Try looking over these specs. Then tell me there is a better auger out there.
http://www.landmsupply.com/department/sporting-goods/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-shark-71cc-10-power-ice-auger

There is propane is the best way to go . No mixing gas and and you don't have to smell gas fumes all day and go home with a headache . I not going to say that is a bad auger but I will never own a gas auger that is not propane .

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:58 PM »
There's sure a bunch of good ones out there and it'll probably come down to your what's in your wallet. If I were going with fuel I'd probably reach for the Nils/Tanaka. The Jiffy Pro 4 propane seems to have passionate fans. I like the electric Strikemaster Lithium Lazer which would maybe my first choice if I were in the market. I'm real fond of my IceGator Ion but you can't buy one this year. You were asking about the best ones on the market I think.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:23 PM »
I just sold my 25 year old Jiffy 30.  Ran like a champ but I picked up a Tanaka/Nils this off season for the weight savings. I hope to confirm it's the best auger out there in 20 years or so! 

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:28 PM »
For what it's worth...
I always ran a jiffy model 30 2 stroke, and it NEVER failed me on the ice. I loved that auger and said I would never part with it.... Well, I did. I bought a Jiffy propane 10"and as much as I loved the model 30's, I do not regret trading up for the pro4. It is reliable, and starts up 1st or 2nd pull every time. no BS. I would think about a propane fueled auger before a battery one. Batteries do not work efficiently in the cold and inevitably die. I don't know where the ions are selling for $600, but in my area they run same price as the pro4 at a little over $500
My only other suggestion is to try them out before you buy. most folks know enough ice fisherman with different augers so they could borrow or at least cut a few holes.
a few years ago, I walked over to an unknown guy ice fishing near by, and after a short chat with him, I was admiring his new jiffy pro4. He was gracious enough to let me try it, so I cut a few holes for him with it, and found the auger I wanted.

X2. Just sold my 30 or so year old jiffy model 30 for a 150$, still ran like a top.  Have the PRO4 10" and confident it will last just as long as the model 30. Very impressed with the blade system on the PRO 4. Auger shreds ice with ease.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:17 PM »
Lazer Mag if it was me.  I own one and it's been good to me.  I used the Lithium this weekend and while is is an awesome auger I find the Lazer Mag is stronger blowing thru the bottom of the hole and you don't have to worry about keeping a battery warm.

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Nils Master with the Tanaka power head. I have only great things to say about it. You won't regret buying one. Take a look at how many used Nils/Tanaka are for sale. Not many, for a reason.

Offline Wibowhunter88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:21 PM »
I have an eskimo and I absolutly love it. And for the price u can't beat it. Buy what ur budget fits do ur research on models ude like to own don't take anyone word for it.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I love my honda strikemaster 8". Its so light and cuts like butter!!

Offline Mike3913

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:32 PM »
I own a lithium lazer as well as a laser mag.  The lithium I plan on using in my wheel house, I've had it out and it's a beast.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Lazermag all the way! Have beat the living hell out of mine for 5 years and it hasn't skipped a beat. Can't say the same for the jiffys and Eskimos I've owned. Won't buy another auger that isn't a strikemaster. Going to buy the big volt for in the permy this year

Offline fishyfishy0618

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I just bought a Nils 8" with a Makita 18 volt with 3ah batteries. The drill has 750 inch lbs of torque. Crazy how it rips thru the ice. The key is having over 700 inch lbs of torque. Just a thought to consider.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:39 PM »
Depends where ya live for the drills being good for augers. We get 3-4ft of ice most years you don't get many holes out of a battery and having a 10" hole through thick ice makes a world of difference. They are nice for early ice up here. Buddy has a 8" strikemaster on a drill for early ice we use a lot instead of lugging the gas augers out

Offline Esoxace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:59 PM »
I owned an eskimo mako for a few years that I really liked.  Upgraded this year to the HC-40 propane.  Gotta say, pretty sweet deal.  No gas to leak, No battery to worry about, easy starting, and more power than I'll ever need.  This was a no brainer purchase for me and usually I am the king of buyers remorse.
“The solution to any problem — work, love, money, whatever — is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:53 AM »
Strike masters are lighter, but they take more effort per hole. Jiffys are the opposit of that (especally the pro4s) they all run the same motors now basicly so forget the fight in that department, and eskimo is (i think) the only one with a full metal gearbox, their similar to the strikemasters in preformance though. Nils is probably lighter than a jiffy, and cuts btter than one too. But their hella expensive, and the blades are a pain to get sharpened.
But you can pick up an old jiffy for a very good price (at least here i can) and theirs a pluthra of parts. Batteries die in just the cold.
go hard or go home

Offline andyrm66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:09 AM »
whenever Im on the ice i can always tell a strikemaster power auger just by sound - it takes them forever to drill a hole and more than one attempt, maybe they all have dull blades???

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:50 AM »
I bought a jiffy pro 4 lite propane 8". Thing cuts like crazy. Very nice machine. My buddy loved it so I sold it to him and bought a pro 4 10". Jiffy propane for me!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:41 AM »
An Auger is like anything else. You get one and take care of it and it will last you a long time. So go out there and buy one before an auger war starts. Don't ask people what is best  for you. You don't want us to dress you too do you?
<===Lefty===

Offline littlenoodlerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:26 AM »

I would suggest checking out this video.  I'm a die hard Gator guy and you will see why.  This model isn't even the latest and greatest from IceGator, they are even faster and lighter now.  The Annihalator is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.