The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: First ice outing this season  (Read 1680 times)

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
First ice outing this season
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I bought a 8' jon boat specifically so i could get out on the ice before it was safe to walk on. Ended up out on a small farm pond today in CT that had around 1'' of ice. Nothing to get too exited about, But i jigged up 7 crappies and 5 perch. Most of the crappies and perch in this pond are on the small side, most were around 9'' with a few even smaller. Felt good to get out on the ice tho, Can't wait until the lakes are ready.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: First ice outing this season
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Wow, thats dedication lol
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:04 AM »
I wish I saw that....
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:34 AM »
I'd be more than happy to store your boat for you once the ice melts and you don't need it anymore...

Good hustle getting onto the ice!
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:46 AM »
I bought a 8' jon boat specifically so i could get out on the ice before it was safe to walk on. Ended up out on a small farm pond today in CT that had around 1'' of ice. Nothing to get too exited about, But i jigged up 7 crappies and 5 perch. Most of the crappies and perch in this pond are on the small side, most were around 9'' with a few even smaller. Felt good to get out on the ice tho, Can't wait until the lakes are ready.

If you did that in the Berks I can only imagine how many Yocals would be calling the police to come "Rescue" you in about 5 minutes.
That there....that is dedication to the hard water!
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:57 AM »
It worked really well, thing just glides across the ice. I'm sure i looked like a nut but that don't bother me, It will keep me dry and catching fish.  If anyone gets any ideas from this, just be aware that the boat might break through the ice, and have a plan on how your gonna get back onto the ice, happened to me at one point and it took me a minute to figure out how to get back on the ice lol

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:54 AM »
I don't know... but this just seems extreme and reckless. I teach kids to ice fish and this will be a story I will tell on "what not to do" if your even thinking about it.  just over the top. how about figuring NOT to get back on the Ice and go home?  I'm just sayin...

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:05 AM »
just curious , do you cut a hole in the bottom of the boat ?

Offline Wnthunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Lol.. I wish I saw that too.. I thought I had the itch to go fishing .. Not as bad as u I guess .. Have fun

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I wonder what the game warden would say if he was there watching you put five lines in then the boat broke through? That could make for an interesting court case for sure!

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I wonder what the game warden would say if he was there watching you put five lines in then the boat broke through? That could make for an interesting court case for sure!

I don't believe he could say anything. THERE'S NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT GOING OUT ON ICE IN A BOAT!!! I only jig when i ice fish so i've only got one line in the water.

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:47 PM »
I don't know... but this just seems extreme and reckless. I teach kids to ice fish and this will be a story I will tell on "what not to do" if your even thinking about it.  just over the top. how about figuring NOT to get back on the Ice and go home?  I'm just sayin...

Flaggs!

I honestly don't know why you're making such a big deal about this. There's nothing reckless about going out on ice in a boat... Going out on three inches of ice on foot like a lot of people on this site do, Now thats something you should be telling kids not to do. I'm never out of the boat when i'm on the ice so unless my boat just decides to sink than i think i'll be fine lol

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:00 PM »
I got a little private pond I do that on too just to mess with my buddy's and send em a pic of the flasher next to the hole I've actually considered doin it a coupe other places. I've broke trough plenty of times you either push your way back onto the ice or break a path back. I dont understand why Evryone thinks its so crazy I actually feel much safer than walking on 3 inches like you said

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I got a little private pond I do that on too just to mess with my buddy's and send em a pic of the flasher next to the hole I've actually considered doin it a coupe other places. I've broke trough plenty of times you either push your way back onto the ice or break a path back. I dont understand why Evryone thinks its so crazy I actually feel much safer than walking on 3 inches like you said

I guess it's just us crazy CT people... Frackin Massholes lol

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I don't believe he could say anything. THERE'S NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT GOING OUT ON ICE IN A BOAT!!! I only jig when i ice fish so i've only got one line in the water.

I wasn't saying you were breaking any laws. It would have been funny to see is all I meant, but with just the jig rod the humor is gone...

I won't deny that I'm a Masshole, though! ;D

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:12 PM »
[quote I won't deny that I'm a Masshole, though! ;D quote]

At least you admit it :P

I won't deny i feel a little like a nut out on the ice in my boat haha but i'm an addict and i gotta get my fix somehow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.