The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: massachusetts bob house rules  (Read 1786 times)

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
massachusetts bob house rules
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Been looking to find some regulations for Massachusetts regarding bob houses. Anyone got anything? I got nothing.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
Re: massachusetts bob house rules
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:48 AM »
pretty sure you need a name/address on the outside. not positive. call the EPO's

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Name address and I belive a contact number. We had 1 on Bartons Cove a couple years ago. Still got the house just haven't put it out the last couple years.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Name and address, I think they specify 3" lettering is used.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I called a couple years ago. There weren't any rules then, but that might have changed.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:00 PM »

I'd suggest reflective tape too.

Offline dane grasso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:51 PM »
name,address, phone,  6 square inch on all 4 side's reflecker's
happy wife happy life

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Okay, I'm pretty new to all this…. can someone explain these to me? I was at Bartons last year trying to figure out how someone got it there but mostly how they got it out. Do they float so when the ice melts its just bobbing there?

I must say it looked like a pretty sweet way to fish.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Okay, I'm pretty new to all this…. can someone explain these to me? I was at Bartons last year trying to figure out how someone got it there but mostly how they got it out. Do they float so when the ice melts its just bobbing there?

I must say it looked like a pretty sweet way to fish.

No they don't float, at least not most of them haha! People build them using all sorts of creative designs and they can range from very simple basic structures to pretty top of the line setups. They are typically towed into position via snowmobile/ATV/Truck and then removed again prior to ice out. I have heard a lot of stories, including one fatal story last year, about people attempting to remove their shacks too late in the season, so make sure you have a plan to get it on and off safely.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:46 PM »
No they don't float, at least not most of them haha! People build them using all sorts of creative designs and they can range from very simple basic structures to pretty top of the line setups. They are typically towed into position via snowmobile/ATV/Truck and then removed again prior to ice out. I have heard a lot of stories, including one fatal story last year, about people attempting to remove their shacks too late in the season, so make sure you have a plan to get it on and off safely.
Thanks. Gotta say I'm a little disappointed. I pictured an anchor under the thing that would drop down when the ice melted and some sort of floatation so it would just stay there. Just tow it back to the boat ramp with a canoe.
The house I was looking at was VERY frozen in and I can't imagine trying to get it out.

Sure did look cozy in there though.

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:30 PM »

I had that same question, nothing in rule books. I E-Mailed Mass Wildlife. Here is their answer.

My question was.

I was looking for rules on having a permanent ice house on a lake in MA. Could you tell me the rules if any.

I don’t believe there’s such a thing as a “permanent” ice house but I think you’re asking about leaving an ice house on the ice for an extended period when conditions allow.  I’m unaware of any regulations addressing this on great ponds that are considered public property here in Massachusetts.  Other artificial impoundments, where there are water rights or local regulations imposed by a town, may have limits on the use of a shanty.  We recommend you contact the town Conservation Commission and any appropriate lake association to check local by-laws for a lake that might interest you.

Common sense suggests you put your contact information on any such structure and use reflectors liberally so there’s not a hazard created for snowmobilers and other recreationists.  By regulation you cannot leave lines unattended so would have to remove any tilt or jig if you were not present.  Also, if you were unable to retrieve the ice house before ice out you could be cited for depositing rubbish in inland waters. 

I’ll check around with others familiar with regulations to make sure I haven’t overlooked anything. 

Bill Davis

District Manager

This Is NH's rules

Bob houses must be removed from public waters, public property or private property no later than April 1. The owner’s name and address shall be plainly marked on the bob house and shall have 12 square inches of reflective material half-way up on the outside of each side.

So I guess take your pick. I'm going by NH's rule, except for removal time you may need to take it off earlier in MA.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Hey muffin man, why are you concerned?

Are you gonna fix up the old aluminum framed shack and actually set it out somewhere. ?

That would be cool, I could meet you out there after work sometime! We could give that ol shack a makeover.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:32 PM »
My guess you put a bob house on just about any pond in mass you will have nothing but problems. I don't know about central or western Mass but the coast here is Masshole central. Not sure what the regulations are, just the reality of it would be harsh. I have enough problems trying to fish the salt without cops being called by some lady who thinks she owns the beach, sand and al the salt water attached to it.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.