The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lake Nepessing  (Read 2569 times)

Offline tjt1520

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Nepessing
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:35 AM »
I remember going to Lake Nepessing as a kid a couple times in the summer but if we ever get any ice this year would like to try fishing it through the ice. I know the lake isn't very deep but other than that I don't have any knowledge of the lake. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience ice fishing Nepessing for panfish, perch, or eyes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Nepessing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:55 AM »
first of all Welcome to the IceShanty
I presume your talking about Lapeer county
did a little hard water fishing there many years ago [didn't do well at all]
check out elk lake by Attica,use to be really good gill fishing there

SnoHam13 

Offline tjt1520

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:04 PM »
Thanks SnoHam13 I think I will try them both when the ice shows up. I looked at Elk Lake on google, is there a public access

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Thanks SnoHam13 I think I will try them both when the ice shows up. I looked at Elk Lake on google, is there a public access

elk lake road  runs right along the north west side of the lake  [off of M21] and the fishing is right there  [unless the county moved the road ]
1978 was the last time I fished there and had a blast with the gills
lake pleasant is a good pike lake if you can get permission to access it [speared a lot of pike there]
most any small lakes,gravel pit's hold fish in that area

SnoHam13

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Lake pleasant has been overpopulated by 18-20" pike now can't catch anything else there very out of control and very stunted. Went to lake nepessing once last winter and caught a bunch of bluegill and crappie in the 6-8" finally at the end of the day found some 10-12" crappies and hooked into a walleye at dark will be going back again this winter if anyone wants to team up.

Offline tjt1520

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Ill be heading to Nepessing to give it a try. I might as well seeing how I don't live far from it. Maybe Ill see you out there Muskyrush

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:14 AM »
If you see a guy punch a 100 holes that'll be me I run around like wild with my auger until I sit on fish.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:44 PM »
There's a really good reason we locals call it Lake Not-a-thing or Lake Skunkessing.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:33 PM »
There's a really good reason we locals call it Lake Not-a-thing or Lake Skunkessing.

:clap: :thumbsup:

SnoHam13

Offline Mike Wagner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:04 AM »

Might have to give it a try down there again if we ever get ice.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:19 PM »

Idk last year I seen a local come out a couple hour before dark and catch 4 walleye and a few pike before I left and a caught 80-100 crappie that day and I drilled about holes that day and caught fish out of almost every hole, these plenty of fish

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I had to drive across the state today along I-69. I remembered seeing this post so I took the exit to check it out first hand. Not looking good. There was no ice on the lake. Even some of the ponds on the golf course nearby were open. I for one am getting a bit discouraged with being able to ice fish close to home any time soon. May just have to make a trip to Little Bay De Noc after Christmas.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:23 AM »
there are always guys fishing straight out from the boat landing, and can be good . We have done good a little more shallow to the west of that spot for pike . and if you go to hilltop campgrounds, sometimes they can steer you in the direction you need to be. If you buy bait from them, they will let you park there as that can be a good area to the south of them along that shore. good luck. Oh yeah at hilltop, look at their bragging pics, some locals there do very well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.