Author Topic: Gonna be a rough day on the river  (Read 1115 times)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gonna be a rough day on the river
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:39 AM »
with all this wind, but whats a guy to do when he can't get on the ice?   Saugers and Eyes are snapping good right now. 

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gonna be a rough day on the river
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:53 PM »
you a better - or crazier - man than me  ;D
forecast of 30 mph+ gusts scared me away, but i got xmas shopping for the wife taken care of  ;)
plan to hit it a few times the rest of the week. gotta get em while the gettin's good, and last week was pretty darn good, especially saturday  @)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Yea sure. Watched 12 boats catch 6-10" fish very slowly on sun. Guys were actually keeping them and the occasional 11" fish. Pathetic. Not anywhere close to what it was last week.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:56 PM »
yeah it was hard to stay on bottom yesterday.  it wasn't too bad temp wise but boat control was terrible.  ended up giving it about an hour before calling it.  it was just the last time i could get out for the rest of the month. 

we could of put about 7 in the box (13-15's) up in the lock sunday afternoon but didn't.  caught about 25 in 2 hours.  lots of bites and lost a few decent fish too.   

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:31 PM »
I watched 2 guys in an silver alumacraft put a 13" WALLEYE in the box on sat. Right in front of me!! Everyone there looked at eachother and said the same thing.... that was a walleye. Granted it was a lot bigger than the 11" saugs they were keeping but in no way was it even close to 15". Didnt measure it either. Also saw quite a few snagged fish go in the boxes. And of course the boats that would sneak up to the rollers for a couple minutes then fall back into the group. Time for the DNR to start watching them... a lot of illegal stuff going on.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:24 PM »
I watched 2 guys in an silver alumacraft put a 13" WALLEYE in the box on sat. Right in front of me!! Everyone there looked at eachother and said the same thing.... that was a walleye. Granted it was a lot bigger than the 11" saugs they were keeping but in no way was it even close to 15". Didnt measure it either. Also saw quite a few snagged fish go in the boxes. And of course the boats that would sneak up to the rollers for a couple minutes then fall back into the group. Time for the DNR to start watching them... a lot of illegal stuff going on.

i'm pretty sure i'm not supposed to be up that far in the lock either lol.   but yeah if i'm really in the mood to eat a fish, i'll throw a 13" sauger in the box but i saw tons of smalls the last few weeks go into the boat to not get thrown back.  its preposterous.   Sunday we caught 75% of our fish under the chin. they were laying on the minnow trying to crush it or whatever.   big ones wacked it.  whenever i swung us around through or made a sharp turn we'd get bit good.  by the time i figured that out it was too late for me to attempt to get my rigging poles out of the compartment so we just stuck with jigging. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:55 PM »
12.5-13" fish are what I like to keep as well. The difference from 12" to 12.5" is pretty big, seems like that last half inch and they are about twice as round.

No boats out tonight, river came up almost a foot and the current is rolling pretty good now. Supposed to go up another 10" by the weekend.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Robby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:10 PM »
I'm a bass guy really.  Becoming a panfish guy. Out of curiosity how heavy of a jig do u normally use.  I go out force yes a couple times each winter and catch fish normally.  But I'm self taught and could use some expertise.I rarely use a jig heavier than 1/4 oz.  When JM up in the locks I know I catch more fish on 1/8 pz or less.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:00 AM »
1/16-1/2 depending on the current, depth, and wind. Right now we are switching between 3/16 and 5/16 usually. Id say the jig I use the most is 3/16.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I'm a bass guy really.  Becoming a panfish guy. Out of curiosity how heavy of a jig do u normally use.  I go out force yes a couple times each winter and catch fish normally.  But I'm self taught and could use some expertise.I rarely use a jig heavier than 1/4 oz.  When JM up in the locks I know I catch more fish on 1/8 pz or less.

it really depends on how deep i'm fishing and the current.   my standard fare is 5/16 to 3/8.   when its a dead calm and i'm fishing the edges i switch to 1/4.  The fish i theoretically lose fishing heavier jigs is minimal and i'd rather have the more comfortable feel of the bottom.   and i'm not tooting my horn here or anything but i will outfish most other boats in the area i'm fishing.   i fish the edges next to the current alot more than most because i always seem to catch better fish there so i like it heavier. 

Offline Robby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Thanks.  I seek them at the correct seams too. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.