Author Topic: Lake John solitude Monday and bonus  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake John solitude Monday and bonus
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:33 AM »
I couldn't get any takers Monday, so went to Lake John alone.  The drive over Cameron Pass was a little slick near the top. Nice new snow up there and in North Park - maybe 6-10".  I always love the drive up the canyon.  As a bonus this time, I saw a band of bighorns along the road, and three moose.  Nearing John, a pack of four coyotes were tearing lickity-split across the prairie in front of me, but I couldn't get a decent camera shot of them. 

Weather was fantastic - finally feeling like winter - calm, clear and in the high 20s until it warmed up mid-afternoon.  Ice 8" except for a few soft spots along shore that were easy to avoid.  Water clarity outstanding, and I sight-fished all day in 10 FOW.  Lost more than I caught (usually trying to set the hook too fast when the big ones took the jig). One really huge rainbow or cutbow chased my Kasty but didn't grab.  Looked like a shark.   Landed 5-6 fatties 13-16".  Had the lake entirely to myself all day until about 3 pm when two guys arrived and set up.   

There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Lake John solitude Monday and bonus
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Sometimes solitude is just what the doctor ordered.  I do my best fishing when I'm by myself, and it gives me a chance to focus and clear my head of clutter.  Looks like a great day up there - awesome photos.  That moose pic is great!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Excellent day!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline basschaserII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Great pics. We fished Lake John day after Thanksgiving was great. On way home saw a herd of 5 moose 3 bulls one spike and a cow. The two big bulls were fighting watch for half an hour. Never saw that many moose in one place. Plus the fishing was great. May show up Friday?   

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Sounds like the perfect day!
Selective harvest works!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:50 AM »
What a superb fishing trip! You could say that the bonus was also catching some fish. I usually roll solo myself though I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe it's because solitude is so rare.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:15 PM »
Great pics. We fished Lake John day after Thanksgiving was great. On way home saw a herd of 5 moose 3 bulls one spike and a cow. The two big bulls were fighting watch for half an hour. Never saw that many moose in one place. Plus the fishing was great. May show up Friday?   

Gee, males fighting over a female!!  Who'da thought it?   ;D   You hit the jackpot that day.

I think we will be there Friday.  How can I recognize you?  I have a black Frabill flip and a silver Tacoma.

Offline andyrm66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:47 PM »
i think i saw the same sheep Saturday, damn things in the road.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:11 PM »
i think i saw the same sheep Saturday, damn things in the road.

The sheep are a concern for me.  They are a beautiful band.  We've seen them twice now, in the same spot.  There must be some salt there.  Cars pass so closely that I''m afraid for their safety.

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:13 PM »
I always love seeing the critters on the way to the fishing hole. I feel like its good luck. Nice pics!

Offline Inluvwithfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:14 PM »
are you still planning on going up fri sawtooth? Id be interested in teaming up if you wanted. Its been years since I fished john.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:26 AM »
I always love seeing the critters on the way to the fishing hole. I feel like its good luck. Nice pics!

We always say this after seeing something - esp moose.  The magic doesn't always work, but fun to speculate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.