Author Topic: 8 or 10 inch  (Read 2493 times)

Offline damyankey

• IceShanty Rookie
8 or 10 inch
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:06 AM »
Thinking about a new auger. Don't know if I want to stay with a ten inch or drop down to an eight inch. Do fish for lakers, but due to lack of time will be fishing pan fish mostly this year. Will I hsve issues with  the 8" hole for Lakers?

Offline Turd Ferguson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 8 or 10 inch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:42 AM »
Love my 8" propane!  Get a 9", happy medium.
Uncle Dave's nephew

KCCO

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:59 AM »
8" hole will give you a circumference of over 25", that is one heck of a fish.  Stay diligent with cleaning the ice out of the hole, as you should with any size, and you should be more than fine.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:01 AM »
Remember that the amount of ice that you remove from the hole grows geometrically with the increase on size. A 10 inch hole requires the removal of 1.5 as much ice. Also the reason for me choosing an 8 inch is that my round tipups will fall into a 10 inch hole. If they fit in a 5 gallon bucket, they'll fit down a 10 inch hole.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:02 AM »
I used a 8 inch blade for lakers last year and I have nothing to complain about.

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:50 AM »
if you are keeping the old auger and staying with the same brand couldn't you use the old bit with the new powerhead?  Then you would have an 8 and a 10.  I bought an 8" jiffy pro lite and I am hoping I can swap out the bits on my jiffy 10"
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I like the idea of having 2 different bits, an 8 & 10, for one power head. You can do this with a jiffy pro 4 but it's a pretty expensive investment to buy a second head. I wrestled with this question when I bought mine and went with a 10, but I think if I could do it all over I'd buy a 9. "Split the difference" as someone else said. The only advantage I see with the 10 is some additional ease of being able to get the fish up in the hole faster. With lakers, that means less mayhem at the hole & maybe less fish lost. Huge difference? Probably not. Get the 9.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:41 AM »
I meant, 'second bit'.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Jibbs... You want to answer this one? @)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Jibbs... You want to answer this one? @)
I started to laugh when I opened up the page and saw your name...lets be polite...leave the horse in the barn....by the way...10 inch
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:26 AM »
I started to laugh when I opened up the page and saw your name...lets be polite...leave the horse in the barn....by the way...10 inch

Good call.....too funny!

Offline dryfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:32 AM »
I have always used a 9" .
Sometimes I wish I had bought the 8" last year when I bought new.

Offline NHFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Card carrying member of "TEAM FLATLANDER"
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Most people in the midwest use a 6" auger, and they don't have problems even icing those huge muskies. I started with a 10 inch Jiffy Model 30 and about 5 years ago went to a 8 inch ice gator and do a lot of laker fishing and have never had an issue. This year I will be starting with an 8 inch auger and might go to a 6 inch using the clam drill converter plate with a Milwaukee Hammer Drill to save on battery life.

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I have an 8 inch and have landed a lot of nice pike and never had a problem.  I wouldn't want to go with a 10 inch because it takes longer to cut the holes and I prefer to keep my feet dry and out of my holes

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:16 PM »
About the time you lose a monster in an eight-inch hole, you'll wish you had a ten.

if you are keeping the old auger and staying with the same brand couldn't you use the old bit with the new powerhead?  Then you would have an 8 and a 10.  I bought an 8" jiffy pro lite and I am hoping I can swap out the bits on my jiffy 10"
I've heard that might mess up the transmission on the power head, putting a larger bit on there.

Offline PapaAthona

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:18 PM »
10" cause they dont make an 11" as far as I know.   @)

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:30 PM »
I have had trouble getting big fish "started" in a 10 inch hole with thick ice. I would buy an 11 inch if they made it.

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:50 PM »
About the time you lose a monster in an eight-inch hole, you'll wish you had a ten.
I've heard that might mess up the transmission on the power head, putting a larger bit on there.
good to know!
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:42 PM »
You could certainly downsize from the 10 inch power head though. Why Not? Buy a 10 inch pro 4 then an 8 inch bit and you have both. Pricey. I will likely do this someday, but not until I have so many other things I could better spend a couple hundo on.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:55 PM »
204. & change for a second bit.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Much easier to bend a big laker into a 10" hole than a 8" hole.  That being said, much easier to get your sock wet stepping in a 10" hole than a 8" hole.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:23 PM »
You could certainly downsize from the 10 inch power head though. Why Not? Buy a 10 inch pro 4 then an 8 inch bit and you have both. Pricey. I will likely do this someday, but not until I have so many other things I could better spend a couple hundo on.
In which scenario would you want a smaller hole?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:42 AM »
I'm after big pike and big walleyes. I always had 10", went down to 8" realized it wasn't gonna cut it for me, maybe 90% of the time, but not always. So I'm back up to 10"

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:26 AM »
In which scenario would you want a smaller hole?
Says he goes for crappies too. Myself, I kind of like a smaller hole for Bows.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I used an 8" last year and usually use a 10". I like a 10" mainly because its easier to turn big fish into the hole, but it boils down to personal preference i guess
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:51 AM »
I agree.. totally personal preference.. I mean, once you're use to a 10", then an 8" seems MUCH smaller.. but, my buddy and I have a ice gator with an 8" Nils. Super fast, no gas.. and the Nil's blade is the bomb...and extremely light (17lbs or so)..  plus, if I get a fish big enough that doesn't fit through the hole... then I'm psyched and will worry about that issue when it happens!  ;D

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:05 PM »
I have been playing on the ice for over 20 years. That said, I  only recall a few times stepping in a hole or someone else in the fishing group doing so. None ever resulting in more than a quick jolt to  the heart , no wet feet  Are people just not paying attention when this happens? 
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:51 PM »
"In which scenario would you want a smaller hole?"

Seems like a trick question but my answer is not appropriate for this forum. :o
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:59 PM »
I have been playing on the ice for over 20 years. That said, I  only recall a few times stepping in a hole or someone else in the fishing group doing so. None ever resulting in more than a quick jolt to  the heart , no wet feet  Are people just not paying attention when this happens?
I stepped in my own 10 inch hole once. Blizzard over-night, tons of fresh snow, working the same area as day before and 'sploosh'. In I went up to my knee. Didn't get hurt or anything. Didn't even completely screw up my day as I had a pal head back to my cabin for a second set of dry boots. It can happen. Has only happened to me once in about 20 years of ice fishing. Didn't make me want to get an 8" because I'm afraid of it happening again. I just like the idea of a smaller, stealthier hole if I'm going to target rainbow in shallow water. Still like my 10" for all other applications.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:04 PM »
The way the snow had drifted on the ice, and the sheer amount of it, there was no indication at all of where the holes were that I had drilled the day before. None.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.