Author Topic: How to keep minnows from freezing?  (Read 5114 times)

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
How to keep minnows from freezing?
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:23 AM »
Maybe I'm short sited and only recalling last winters cold but I feel like my minnows always freeze up or freeze closed or something out on the ice. I've tried the regular minnow buckets and the small foam ones. What do you guys do to keep them while on the ice?

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How to keep minnows from freezing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:12 AM »
I have an insulated minnow bucket. Picked it up at a local bait shop last year. Works awesome. I'm pretty sure you can even get them at walmart.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:21 AM »
look for the white foam that fits inside a 5 gallon bucket. that works best that i have seen...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I also use the 5 Gal bucket with the white foam insert, with an aerator and keeping the lid on it you should not have any issues.  We use them in Northern Mi and have not had them freeze even left out all night in the single digits unless the aerator quits.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:42 PM »
I usually just carry everything so I try to pack as light as I can. Do you have to fill the 5 gallon insert

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I usually just carry everything so I try to pack as light as I can. Do you have to fill the 5 gallon insert

Walking to and from the ice you don't need to have it "filled", but need enough to keep bait alive.  Once you start drilling holes you can add more water from the lake.   A sled of sorts would help conciderably to take out your gear.  "Smitty sled" is compact, portable, cheap, and easy to customize. 
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:13 PM »
I use a Plano 722 3/4 filled and place that in a 5 gallon bucket stays pretty ice free for much of the day .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MT_Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Floating minnow net.  Drill a hole (or more) and let your minnows stay fresh in the lake.  You can cover the hole with a bucket or whatever if it is very cold/snowing.  Works better when the ice isn't as thick......may need to drill a couple of holes when the ice gets thick because the net won't spread out under the hole.  But a floating net doesn't weigh anything or take up much room.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care" - Peter Gibbons

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I have an insulated spill proof bait bucket but I also have one with the foam insert and an aerator. They both work well and I don't recall ever having frozen bait.

Offline levi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:42 PM »
crappie minnows i use one of those half gallon plastic thermos has a handle, a screw on lid in case i fall it don't break or leak, keeps them alive and good.
My wife says if I go ice fishing one more time shes going to leave me, God Im going to miss her.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:45 PM »
I have used an igloo water jug many of times . Works good to keep them from freezing on the ice but when I get home I bring in in on the back porch . Also you don't have to worry about it falling over and spilling all the water out .

Offline JoeB1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:03 PM »
I have used an igloo water jug many of times . Works good to keep them from freezing on the ice but when I get home I bring in in on the back porch . Also you don't have to worry about it falling over and spilling all the water out .
That's what I use also.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:56 PM »
I started using an old gatorade bottle.  Put the 10 or so minnows you use every night in that, and leave the rest at home.  The screw on cap you can dump one out when needed, refill from the lake, etc....  They don't spill (with the cap on), the minnows don't seem to run out of o2, and the bottle doesn't cost a lot.  You can put them in your pocket if you want to warm them up slightly.   The other advantage is your buddies or adjacent mooches, aren't constantly hounding you for minnows when they don't have any.  They don't know you even have them until it's too late!!!!!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:41 PM »
wish 10- was all I needed any way I just sit them by the heater or dip out the ice and add more water its not to hard so a 5gal. bucket W/LID is all I need
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:28 PM »
put 'em in your mouth!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:45 PM »
I have a weak gag reflex its all I can do to keep my false teeth in mark
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Walking to and from the ice you don't need to have it "filled", but need enough to keep bait alive.  Once you start drilling holes you can add more water from the lake.   A sled of sorts would help conciderably to take out your gear.  "Smitty sled" is compact, portable, cheap, and easy to customize. 
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

I have a sled and use it when there's not much snow but in my experience when I bring a sled I get a lot of "you got room in there for this stuff?" The thermos sounds like a great idea I never thought of that I'm gunna try it this year. I can't imagine it takes a super premium one for that. I also like the sound of switching water out. It seems my foam containers issue is that it freezes closed if I'm not in it constantly. Maybe I just need to catch more fish to fix that

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Go to the dollar store and buy ya a thermos jug.  Put the minners in that, problem solved.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:15 PM »
put 'em in your mouth!

Let me guess you learned that from one of your old fishing buddy's .  :sick:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Let me guess you learned that from one of your old fishing buddy's .  :sick:
Nah, drunken college dare but I had to swallow them.  :wacko:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:20 PM »
...but speaking of old fishing buddy's, If I told some stories about the Hillbilly that took me to Erie every weekend trolling, You guys would be thoroughly entertained!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:38 PM »
i have also used a thomas jug, the kind with the flip up pour spout. a !/4 inch air line fits down into the pour spout and then i put a zip strip on the handle to clip my airorator. works good but on the coldest days, minuses to lowers single digits, it does get a little ice in it. not freezing to hurt the minnows but still some.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Nah, drunken college dare but I had to swallow them.  :wacko:

Ah understood lol . We have all done stuff like that . Lol

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:35 PM »
I also use a 1 gallon igloo jug. Works like a charm. Tan take the beating of a 20 mile sled ride in a shanty too.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:19 AM »
...but speaking of old fishing buddy's, If I told some stories about the Hillbilly that took me to Erie every weekend trolling, You guys would be thoroughly entertained!

Oh this is a must thread Jigmup. There's no ice we need a good laugh.  ;D

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I use the 6 gallon sit n fish bucket. It has an insulated insert and lid. Best minnow bucket ive found. Works great in the summer too

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:04 AM »
I also use the 5 Gal bucket with the white foam insert, with an aerator and keeping the lid on it you should not have any issues.  We use them in Northern Mi and have not had them freeze even left out all night in the single digits unless the aerator quits.
X2 This is same setup weve been using for years. With this setup you can have lots of shiners and fathead minnows in it. Thats if your after walleyes and northrens. You could get away with a smaller bucket if your only using crappie minnows but you'll want the bigger bucket for bigger minnows. I think Jim at PTO has the 5gallon foam inserts instock.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:07 AM »
I have a 5 gallon bucket with a foam removable liner that has a lid also, don't always use the lid because I have a flip top lid on the bucket and an aerator and I use that blue stuff from Bass Pro in the minnows and every time I buy minnows I buy extra and can keep them for a month or so. I set them in my barn fridge in the winter and it keeps them from freezing.
Tom

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:47 AM »
I bought a metal coffee can with a styrofoam liner in it while in Minnesota a couple years ago up by Walker, MN - Leach Lake. Has a styrofoam lid along with regular plastic lid.
Works great out on the ice.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.