Author Topic: Black and white camera versus color?  (Read 800 times)

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
Black and white camera versus color?
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:32 PM »
So i have a black and white fish tv and it works okay, for what it is. Is there anyway a person can tell if weeds are dead or alive using a black and white? Obviously the color camera would show the green color of the weeds. Trying to justify buying a color camera? 

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: Black and white camera versus color?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:50 AM »
I guess it depends on why you want color.  If it is because it will add a dimension or capabilities to your fishing strategy then I am all ears.  I have a black and white cam that I use to proof bottom composition and structure.  A color can is a waste of money for the way I use my cam.  At the depths I fish, most colors are limited due to the limited light penetration.  If you fish shallow and want to see how cool your chartreuse lure looks under the ice then color may make sense.  As far as weeds go, the vigor of the plant should be the best indicator of it's health. I'm lucky, my wife is an Aquatic Biologist so she's like my secret weapon when it comes to fishing. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:19 PM »
So i have a black and white fish tv and it works okay, for what it is. Is there anyway a person can tell if weeds are dead or alive using a black and white? Obviously the color camera would show the green color of the weeds. Trying to justify buying a color camera?

look at the Vexilar Fish Scout Camera. the Camera on it is like two cameras in one. it is a color/ black&white camera. the camera senses the light level in the water and adjusts the camera to either color or b&w for the best contrast and ease of viewing. this is what I went with. the ultimate set up is the Vexilar Double Vision Unit where you get the Fish Scout camera and a FL-20 Flasher in one case.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:38 AM »
Like catgeek says the vexlar does....Theres a certain point where some hogh end cameras dont even bother with color, what does that say? Plus at deepr depths the camera becomes uncontrolable
go hard or go home

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Thanks for the feed back.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I've had color and for the most part, everything looks relatively green unless you are in a really clear lake and fishing shallow.  In terms of weeds, I just look for whether or not they are standing and the shape of the leaves will tell you a lot too.  I don't seem to have trouble telling live weeds from dead in black and white. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.