Author Topic: Wright and Mcgill Tony Roach Rods/combo  (Read 2635 times)

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wright and Mcgill Tony Roach Rods/combo
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:44 PM »
So i am looking at these rods and looking for opinions. I tried the search function on here and was able to find very little. I have a couple of the EC inline reels and am happy with them. I have only ever held the ice noodle they put out and i should have bought it but did not. Anybody have any experience with these rods?

This combo looks like a steal at cabelas..
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Wright-McGill-Tony-Roach-In-Line-Combo/1848044.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtony%2Broach%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=tony+roach&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Offline Bladik

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wright and Mcgill Tony Roach Rods/combo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:20 PM »
My experience with Wright & McGill rods is limited to steelhead 10' ultra lights and they have been terrific so far.  I also know that Tony Roach hasn't put his name on junk in the past so we can reasonably assume that the combo is legit. I'd say go for it. Looks descent enough and its a nice price.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Anybody use these rods? I purchased this combo last night.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:43 AM »
I just bought my 3rd wright and mcgill tony roach noodle.  Like them better then the tickle stick I took back. Fleet had them on sale for $18.00. Couldn't resist.  Can't comment on the combo though.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:29 PM »
That is wear i seen their noodle rod too. I wish fleet had them on their website. Closest fleetfarm to me is about 2 hours away, we are stuck with crappy ole farm and fleet down here. Thanks for the reply though.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:27 AM »
I used 36 "  last year....they work o.k   but tips  are fragile....but  most  ice rods  can be.

Landed  29 inch  Walleye  with  36 L  model last season....paired it  with Black  Betty reel.

I just ordered  3 of  those  combos  because  the  reels  themselves   usually  run $30...so  u  are basically getting rod for free.

Offline whiteyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:46 AM »
I bought the 36in action is power ice finesse. Im going to be using it for walleye. Seems like a nice rod. Thinking about buying a couple more of them when i get back to cabelas over the holidays.

Offline 350 Mag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2014, 04:59 AM »
Rods  got  here  today.....quicker  than  normal  for  Cabelas   from  USA to  Canada, packaged well,  got  600  yard  spool  of  p-line  6 lb   on  sale too....reel  looks  like  twin  to  Black  Betty  6061....minus  30  here  now, minus  40  with  wind,  will  hope  to  get  on  New  Years  day and  see  how  she  does.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:53 AM »
FYI, Walmart sells these combos as well

Catchin' Fish

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:06 PM »
So i got a chance to use my new combo over the weekend. before i even strong it with line and did take the spool off and hit the gears with a little oil.  The combo i went with from cabelas was the power ice magnum in 28''. Overall i am pretty pleased with my purchase. The rod is mostly linear and does not have much back bone at all. The action is pretty good but one would have trouble running baits heavier then 1/4 oz. The handle of the rod is long and thin, making it really nice to hold especially with gloves on. given the fact that i only paid $30 for this combo i am pretty happy with it and look forward to using it more in my outings to come.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I have the single action reel,it's not that great poor drag system.

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Not a noodle/glass rod guy I like my carbon rods with a titanium bobber. I have the power ice 36" for trout and walleye and I love it. It's not as good as my tuned up custom rods but is still a great rod no complaints here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.