The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for easy family fishing  (Read 555 times)

Offline tjsomerv

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for easy family fishing
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Hey all - I will be visiting family in Colchester in a few weeks and promised to take my brother in law and his 2 boys out for some ice fishing. I have done a bunch of reading on here and see sand bar is the place to go for perch and pike. I am more interested (gasp!) in bluegill and white perch for the kids to be catching at a higher rate than yellow perch. I was also thinking about taking them up to St. Albans. Knowing I am looking for gills and white perch, can anyone recommend a place to go even if we will be catching small ones, I want the kids to get "hooked" on ice fishing so want to put fish on the lines.

Thanks!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
Re: Looking for easy family fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:20 PM »
St albans bay can be excellent but its not super easy, I did it once with shiverin joe and he had a flasher and knowledge of the general hotspots, lots of white perch. I would go to sandbar. If you have tip ups bring em and use med. shiners if you want to get perch. On jig poles a bibbet and spike or Swedish pimple and spike or perch eye will produce fish. When the pike  are their the action can be non stop but I don't fish them until later in the year. Pm me and I can give you some details on where
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline tjsomerv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Thanks for that input! I know fishing is still fishing so just looking for places where we have a shot

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Both can be good usually don't fish either til at least jan. When the ice is finally good. Better hope we get some cold cold weather to really start making some safe ice. Right now sketchy at best and this snow isn't helping anyone. Glad my ice fishing attire floats  ;D
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.