The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New Ice Ship  (Read 1694 times)

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
New Ice Ship
« on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:04 AM »
My son and I recently undertook a project to morph our "cargo" class stock Jet Sled into a "Massive Reaper" class ice fishing fun ship.  Features of the new ship include a main hull reinforced with custom kivva king wear strips.    She has an aft compartment that houses grill, charcoal, cooking utensils,pan,  fire starters,  safety rope , picks, creepers , 3 piece chisel and chair.

Forward of the aft locker is the all important 48 quart munitions bay.   She will easily  carry 10 doz mortar size baits and 18 golden pond missiles.  We like to fire off 8-10" shiners so the ship was designed around this bay.

Our new ship has a 3hp cylindrical ice pulverizer mounted astern.  Aft deck also holds surface mounted tackle compartment and manual depth finding gidget.   Along the perimeter of the hull, 16 torpedee tube tip up and ice rod launchers are mounted

The foredeck contains the fuel tank.     Access to the tank can be had via a Genuine Srixon levitator ball. This tank  holds all the drinks, cocoa ,eggs , sausage , burgers , and dogs needed to power us through the day.

Mounted on the bow is a sonar specially designed to detect any threat to our jig and waxie combo. 
Next to the sonar is a velcro mounted small ammo puck.  In addition, a half bailer is secured so that it may carry full bailers. 

Although ship will be powered by a 45 year old 210 ft/lb main engine, she should still be fast.   The underside of the  hull has been coated with a non caloric , silicone based kitchen lubricant 500 times more slippery than any kitchen oil on the market.  My friend Eddie has a cousin named Clark who works for a company that is developing it.  They were nice enough to get me a sample

We feel this new flagship of the Team Tip Up navy will strike fear into both  the fish and our derby competitors alike.   Its features and fierce graphics will make big bass jump through the hole in surrender. 

We our proud that we transformed a standard  "cargo" class  vessel into a genuine "Massive Reaper" class Ice Funship   We expect this new ship to help the Team Tip Up ice fishing squad add many more victories to their total. 

The last consideration was naming this incredible new " Massive Reaper" class ice Funship     We decided to name it after an individual who quickly swam from 4f  to commodore for his bravery and cunning in defeating the WW II nazi u boat threat.  For those unfamiliar with his incredible story, google Henry Limpet US Navy. 

The Massive Reaper Funship "MR LIMPET" will hopefully be christened upon her home ice of Lake Nippenicket soon.   She rests in Dry garage now while awaiting installation of the radio box/iphone charging station.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Ice Ship
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Congrats.  That looks like on heck of a setup.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Looks pretty cool! Remember the weight tho. Dragging that thing loaded with gear thru the snow may have you thinking your pulling an aircraft carrier.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Nicely done. Enjoyed the post.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:41 AM »
looks sweet. my jet sled is not expanded, but ive got it loaded! it sucks to haul through more then 6". but Ill trade the haul for the convenience of having everything with me. the most annoying thing is having more weight to one side or the other so one side sinks in and one side rides high making your sled want to tip. I really want to look into a smitty style job where I can mount and dismount the skis to load into my jeep. If I had a truck I would have already but I have to flex my sled as is to fit it in the wrangler. Best of luck with it this year!

Offline SCUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Skip!!!

This is outstanding!!!!  You have set a new standard to which we should all aspire!  All you need is a drone for protection.
They call it ice fishing - like there's any other

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Great post!  Are you in sales by any chance?  Maybe should think about it

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:36 PM »
nice setup, enjoy

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Sweet,
Named the sled after good old "Flat Bush" I see.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Dragging that thing loaded with gear thru the snow may have you thinking your pulling an aircraft carrier.

Yeah through the desert....    Nice sled love the drawings...  I let my daughter color my hard hat
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:59 PM »
cool sled Don Knots would be proud

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Looking good 👍👍

Offline bucks-n-ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:14 PM »
nice looking rig

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Nice setup.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Weight wasn't too much of a worry for this mod because the materials were light and the mod is completely removeable in under 60 seconds    If we don't have the cold slick conditions, we will just leave the mod home and pack a few light sleds     Project was mostly about killing a lousy weather day and getting my 11 year old a start on power tools.    The plastic sheeting was ideal for him to get comfortable with a framing square, jig saw and drill.  Made me cringe to not use the table saw and rip square but it was far more about him being able to learn by doing.    The bonus fun was the neighborhood kids had a blast decorating it.   It was a Sunday pregame
ritual  to work on the sled art.   

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:19 AM »
nice setup for sure.

got a ways to go to beat Porters 'house' in a jet sled...

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:56 AM »
the incredible mr limpet is one of my all time favorite movies. nice job

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:15 AM »
Awesome national lampoons reference....
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Great job pimping your sled out. Looks ready for an ice attack.
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Cool setup, good job!  :tipup:

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Beautiful job! and what a great project for father and son... I will be carrying my gear in a 5gal bucket this year along with a shoulder slung fishing stool with pockets n what not..., I'm just getting started on this whole ice fishing thing so I'm looking for ideas...

I bet the little guy had a blast, thumbs up!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Beautiful job! and what a great project for father and son... I will be carrying my gear in a 5gal bucket this year along with a shoulder slung fishing stool with pockets n what not..., I'm just getting started on this whole ice fishing thing so I'm looking for ideas...

I bet the little guy had a blast, thumbs up!

I have seen people use carry on luggage to carry their gear in.  Now boarding at gate 9
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I have seen people use carry on luggage to carry their gear in.  Now boarding at gate 9

Hahaha!

I'd rather make two trips than deal with the chuckles as I walk by with luggage...

I can see it now...

"Hey buddy, I know it's cold out here and the fishin sucks today but where ya goin? Florida? Caaaamaaaaan guy!"

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:21 PM »

Hahaha!

I'd rather make two trips than deal with the chuckles as I walk by with luggage...

I can see it now...

"Hey buddy, I know it's cold out here and the fishin sucks today but where ya goin? Florida? Caaaamaaaaan guy!"

Oh and you don't need to sprint to every flag like you are missing your flight either

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:37 AM »
Oh and you don't need to sprint to every flag like you are missing your flight either

Thats just you Ed, since you dont get any lol

For those of us who actually get flags, we have to run just to keep up  :P
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.