The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: SnoBear at Devils Lake  (Read 1661 times)

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
SnoBear at Devils Lake
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:17 PM »
I heard a SnoBear got partial submerged on Devils Lake when I was talking with someone earlier in the week.  Sounds like they got it out with out much issue.  I was just wondering if anyone else heard this or had more details?  They look like cool machines and was wondering how much ice they needed to stay safe?

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SnoBear at Devils Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:28 AM »
I thought they were supposed to float?

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:38 AM »
They are not boats!  The engine will sink.. suppose to bob for a while .. I usually wait till there is about 8" of good ice. Figure with 8" there might be some 5" someplace.  But the footprint is less weight than a sled or atv.  1.2lbs per sq inch.  From what I heard the driver did not see the open water on a pressure ridge and drove into it.  When I see a ridge I always get out and look before crossing.....saw a pressure ridge on LOW once in Feb that had 10' of water with skim ice on it on the other side....

For real early ice the Wellcraft  is the way to go..

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:44 PM »
He went in crossing pressure ridge.  The way I heard it the top ice caved and the bear settled on the lower ice in a foot or two of water.   I guess he'd have been alright a hundred feet either way of where he crossed.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.