The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: IN LINE REELS  (Read 1074 times)

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
IN LINE REELS
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:49 PM »
ANY ONE TRY ANY OF THE IN LINE ICE REELS OUT THERE. I WAS UP DICKS AND I SAW THE EAGLE CLAW IN LINE FOR THE FIRST TIME. I FISH WITH SPINNING REELS AND WITH THE SMALL SPOOL DIAMETER I THINK THE LINE HAS A TENDENCY TO COIL EVEN WITH ANY LINE. THEY ARE 29. AT DICKS AND 22 A FISHUSA. THE ONES AT DICKS HAVE A WHITE SPOOL WHERE ALL OTHERS ON LINE HAVE ALL GRAPHITE BLACK MAYBE THEY WERE LAST YEARS MODELS. ANY WAY I SENT FOR A COUPLE TO TRY PROBABLY GET 3 MORE IF THEY ARE ALRIGHT. NO BAIL FLIPING JUST A SIDE BUTTON TO FREE SPOOL.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: IN LINE REELS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:53 PM »
ANY ONE TRY ANY OF THE IN LINE ICE REELS OUT THERE. I WAS UP DICKS AND I SAW THE EAGLE CLAW IN LINE FOR THE FIRST TIME. I FISH WITH SPINNING REELS AND WITH THE SMALL SPOOL DIAMETER I THINK THE LINE HAS A TENDENCY TO COIL EVEN WITH ANY LINE. THEY ARE 29. AT DICKS AND 22 A FISHUSA. THE ONES AT DICKS HAVE A WHITE SPOOL WHERE ALL OTHERS ON LINE HAVE ALL GRAPHITE BLACK MAYBE THEY WERE LAST YEARS MODELS. ANY WAY I SENT FOR A COUPLE TO TRY PROBABLY GET 3 MORE IF THEY ARE ALRIGHT. NO BAIL FLIPING JUST A SIDE BUTTON TO FREE SPOOL.

MAN...FIX YOUR KEYBOARD BEFORE YOU LOSE YOUR VOICE!

Good to know you were UP Dicks and admit it! ;)

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:55 AM »
I bought a inline combo last year and after two trips on the ice I swapped the inline reel for a spinning reel.  It works okay in sallow water but any thing over 10' it was a big pain the rear.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I have a couple in line reels and they work fine, but it should be noted I usually fish shallow water. Like fly reels they tend to be single action which means slow line retrieval, though you can buy multipliers if you have the scratch. Most important try it first, if at all possible. I say this because some reels when you tighten the drag you have to reel against whatever setting that might be. ::)

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:50 AM »
I tried one last year. Used it one time and sent it back. Too slow when dropping the bait....way too slow on the retrieve. I see there are models now that are geared for faster retrieve. I agree that they would be OK for shallow lakes but I'm sticking with the spinning reels.

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:07 AM »

I picked up some of the inline reels this year and last and absolutely loved them.  I've been fishing with the 13 Black Betty 6061 and in shallow or deep water, this reel was hard to beat.  I do not care for the inline reels without the freespool option (like Frabill's Straight line or the 13 Black Betty), because they are too limited to shallow water.

The Eagle claw ones aren't bad for the price.  I looked up the white one on Dick's website.  I've never seen that reel, but I imagine its the same premise as the other ones.  I cleaned up one of the black eagle claw inline reels and added reel oil.  It seems to run a bit smoother now.  The drag doesn't impress me, but I've only caught panfish on it and it works fine for me.  I can't say how good it is for bigger fish.   

If you search here on Ice Shanty, there is a ton of good information on how to modify and improve them.  I could not figure out how to change them from left hand to right hand retrieve, but I was able to find that after some searching here yesterday, along with lots of other info. 

Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline johnny sakko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:29 PM »
I use the Eagle claw inline ice reels.  I own 4 of them and I've used them to catch everything from Crappies in Pa to 10lb Walleyes in Canada through the ice.  I also have 4 of the 13 Fishing Black betty 6061 inline reels on sale last year and just got two of the No. 8 Tackle Cold Gear Inline Ice Reels that are on Fish USA.  All work well and the No. 8 Tackle Cold Gear Inline Ice Reels are 2.7:1 ratio and seem to be a little more well built than the Eagle Claw inline ice reels.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Just got an Eagle Claw inline reel and rod combo this past week...  Let you know how it is when I try it.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:40 PM »
I had an eagle claw inline reel and it lasted about 4 trips out until it broke.  The drag would not work properly and would not let you reel in even small fish.  Talked to a person that sells them and he saw that problem before with them.  I personally have 2 black betty 6061 and would recommend those reels.  I did get a replacement for the eagle claw and will try it this year.  Hopefully I just got a bad one.  Nez

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:24 AM »
SOUNDS LIKE SOME ONE IN SASKATHEWAN DOESN'T LIKE DICKS SPORTING GOODS , WELL THATS OK I DONT'T EITHER.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:44 AM »
I got a EC last year and promply added it to the discard pile .the drag is a joke and it just seemed like a plastic piece of crap.i have not used the 6061 it seems like the drag works good but seemed kinda big .for now I'm sticking with spinning.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:38 PM »
I'LL see when I get them if they are junk they will be on the way back.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Under 15ft, they are great and when the bite is off they do seem to help. Deeper water definitely not as fast and can be a pain but I will still use when the bite gets tough. More than one occasion it helped me get on the fish when the bite was non existent. I rather fish slower and catch fish then fish faster and not catch

On your flashers if you get multiple lookers and very few or very light bites is the perfect day to break out the straight line. Many times when you stop jigging to let the fish take your jig it continues to spin because of line twist in return turning off the fish.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:05 AM »
I have 2 of the fishing13 Black Betty reels.  The drag is very smooth. i currently have 2# on them. I tried to tighten the drag to the point that the line would break.
Then i did the same test on a spinning reels and the line broke the same. These reels are well built.But i could see problems fishing outside shanty in cold weather because of all the metal parts.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.