The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Coming home to ice fish  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Coming home to ice fish
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:12 PM »
My fishing partner and I are planning on driving home to North Dakota for two weeks of fishing, if the road conditions allow it. I am driving from Sheppard, Airforce Base Texas, to Billings first for my gear. If roads permit, then we are free to fish anywhere we want for over a week, not married. We are looking at Devils Lake, LoW,and maybe Red Lake since we both enjoy crappie. To save on cost, was planning on sleeping in the shack or in my SUV. I just pray the roads stay clear so that everyone can enjoy stress free traveling over the holidays. It seems the weather and fishing has been stellar, but the forecast shows dropping temps.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: Coming home to ice fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Good luck to you! Right now in the Bismarck area we are having a little freezing rain.

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:19 PM »
It's definitely not a hot day for traveling.  I've had quite a few cancellations due to accidents. 

Offline Buckshot86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Bad roads are no joke. I don't chance my life on them anymore. I have family in Grand Forks that I can go to for waiting out bad weather. I just hope the weather allows something. Knowing my luck though, it will probably clear up January 1st at 6 am the moment I leave.

Offline jm1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:23 PM »
you'll be alright.. ND is good at keeping the plow trucks out and salting the roads. Good luck wherever you go! Sounds like Devils lake perch numbers have dropped off a bit from years past but are still excellent. Good luck!

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 11:55 PM »
ND does not salt the roads. They have some of the worst roads in bad weather i have ever been on. Thats says alot bc im from MI and the roads are not the best here as well.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline dirtymike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:51 AM »
ND does not salt the roads. They have some of the worst roads in bad weather i have ever been on. Thats says alot bc im from MI and the roads are not the best here as well.
I actually wish you were correct in saying ND didn't salt the roads but you're not. They just started salting in recent years.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:09 AM »
In and around Bismarck they are now using salt brine mixed with coal ash on the roads.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Siesmac sent ya a pm
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Siesmac sent ya a pm

didn't get a pm from you and can't send you a pm. Says you can not receive them.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Not sure why, any idea the pm thing was working earlier in the week? Actually have sent ya two.
Life is short, fish hard!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.