Author Topic: The Duck's  (Read 2250 times)

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
The Duck's
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Anyone been out to the Duck Mountains yet this year, we have a trip planned in 2 weeks and plan to fish at Child's or one of the nearby lakes.  I hope there is some decent snow for sledding with all the warm temps.  Any word on ice thickness also would be appreciated. 

Usually go for trout and jack at Child's.

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
Re: The Duck's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:39 AM »
I know the owners @ Childs and they said that there is a pile of snow.  I think they have a promo going on right now as well if you book before new years.
Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Offline 57mustang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:00 PM »
beware of slush out there !!!

Offline Silas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:31 PM »
I know the owners @ Childs and they said that there is a pile of snow.  I think they have a promo going on right now as well if you book before new years.

That's interesting, what the promo?

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:41 AM »
10% off I believe

Off their facebook page:

"Book your stay at Childs Lake Lodge before the new year & receive 10% off your cabin rental!"

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I think that deal was with the old lodge owners who were great.  The newer owners jacked up the rates for this year.  Last time we stayed everything was great thou as compared to some posts on other sites.

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:28 AM »
I took that info off the owner's facebook page, not the Lodge's page.  Not sure but I believe it is current.  Best bet if you are interested would be to call I guess.

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2014, 04:40 PM »
How is the fishing up there at the Duck's right now, any decent snow for sledding on the trails or lakes?

Offline playfarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2014, 05:41 PM »
My wife and I stayed at childs lake cabins just after the new owners took over, and we would not go back. They did not make us feel welcome at all. I went to tie up my boat to their dock and he comes running down and says, you can't tie up here, this is for our rental boats. They didn,t have any of them in the water, the hole week we were there. One night we went to the lodge for supper and they knew were there waiting, but didn't even come and tell us why they were not open that evening. Never going back.
Larry

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Things were better the last 2 times we were there, very friendly and accommodating.  I did here lots of bad things right when they took the place over.  Lots of people were pissed that no pets were allowed now (what are hunters supposed to do with their dogs?). 

I will report back as to how the fishing was, snow conditions, ice, etc!

Cheers

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Noticed the Child's Lake Lodge website is down, no information at all for people look into, not a good sign!  The site takes you to some domain registry site, maybe the bill was not paid for the new year.  Hopefully its back up and running soon, some good info on there.

www.childslakelodge.co m

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Got back from Child's lake yesterday and enjoyed some good fishing and sledding.  The weather was cold, with lows of -33, -35 and -34 C the 3 nights we were there.  I love having a remote weather station on trips like that to get temps when a guy is fishing.

The ice was 13 inches on Child's lake with a good 3-5 inches of snow.  There were some slushy areas which was weird for this time of year.  Not sure if the melting a few weeks ago was the cause.  The snowmobile trails were in decent condition with a few areas ripped up but it was good.

Fished on and off for two days, the lake trout were active most of the day on Sunday and only in the morning on Monday.  I heard the rest of the lake was slow but I did well.  White tubes and black and white buck tails worked well tipped with a minnow.  Some trout were very hesitant while others smashed the baits.  There was always a fish around every 15-20 minutes.  The last afternoon was very quiet.  Love fishing for trout as they chase the lure all the way to the ice.  With the clear water, you could see 25 feet down no problem and see fish come in.  The flasher did come in handy for suspended fish but most were at the bottom.

Lost a few big fish right at the hole as I was only using a single barbless hook, kept a few for eating and let the rest go. 

Our stay at the cabins at Child's was good as usual, it was fairly quiet with a few snowmobilers out and a few fisherman around but the lake was quiet for this time of year.  Not many people at their cabins either.  Here are few pics of the weekend, nothing special, hard to take pics when you are by yourself sometimes. 

My wife enjoying sledding while I fish

One 22 inch Laker

One 19 incher Laker

Shoreline of Child's

Overcast late afternoon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.