The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Propane ice auger  (Read 7256 times)

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Propane ice auger
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Just looking for some advice on propane ice augers. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Offline adirondackfreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Propane ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:36 PM »
My buddy has the Jiffy 8".  One trip out convinced me to buy one, but I chose to save a little money and weight, I got the 6".  Very happy. I only recommend you keep it in the shanty with you. Very cold starts equal 3 our 4 pulls....

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Used mine today first time. Runs greats, drills great. Thing rips ice!

Offline J-Lopez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:54 PM »
I bought a jiffy last year and I love it.

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:28 AM »
All the comments a much appreciated.  Have a age and productive season fellas!!

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Had my new pro 4 lite out last wen   on 4 1/2 " of ice , it was 4 degrees with -25-30 wind chill -auger fired right up  let it warm up , drilled 2 holes fine then it wouldnt make it through entire hole with out stalling . i called jiffy about a tank warmer and beleive it or not the rep told me not to use the warmers .
now i have a issue because i like to drill tons of holes and jump around alot and i have now confidence in propane in extreme cold .
scheel s said they would make it right with whatever i wanted to do exchange , refund or whatever . think im going back to gas motor .

I thinks it luck of the draw as i have 2 buddies with pro 4 and theyve never had issue in the cold

Offline babills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:39 PM »
I bought the Eskimo HC40 and used it this weekend Drills great and runs like a top. smooth and quiet. and blades are cheaper than the jiffys when time to replace.

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:55 PM »
I completely agree with babill. Bought the HC40 and couldn't be happier. Start within 2 pills every time. Cuts like a hot knife through butter. I'd never go back to a gas auger. Only down side is its a little on the heavy side.

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:45 PM »
X2  ;D

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Used my Eskimo HC 40 for the first time today after purchasing this fall. Started on the second pull when taking it out of the shop and first pull when I got onto the ice. Only 6-7 inches of ice right now, ran and cut great!! Happy I got it, time to put the lazer to bed!
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline fireryfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:24 PM »
I got an HC40 this year used it a couple times cuts ice nice starts with a pull or 2. Happy with mine

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:18 AM »
They don't seem to run up here in the cold, had one in the group last weekend, it was even in the cab of the truck, it started but wouldn't rev, just bog down, fuel hungry it seemed, it was -30c that morning
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:36 AM »
I'm also a happy HC40 owner and had it out a few times in pretty cold conditions. Mine hasn't bogged down in the cold but if I have it setting out in the open for a few hours it takes about 4-6 pulls to fire up. Cuts through 2 feet of ice as fast as any other auger I've used.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Had my new pro 4 lite out last wen   on 4 1/2 " of ice , it was 4 degrees with -25-30 wind chill -auger fired right up  let it warm up , drilled 2 holes fine then it wouldnt make it through entire hole with out stalling . i called jiffy about a tank warmer and beleive it or not the rep told me not to use the warmers .
now i have a issue because i like to drill tons of holes and jump around alot and i have now confidence in propane in extreme cold .
scheel s said they would make it right with whatever i wanted to do exchange , refund or whatever . think im going back to gas motor .

I thinks it luck of the draw as i have 2 buddies with pro 4 and theyve never had issue in the cold

The -25 wind chill would not be a problem.  Wind chill is only an effect felt by the skin.  Your auger will cool faster to the ambient temp, but not to the wind chill value.  I have run my Pro 4 down to -38F.  Only then have I had an issue.  It would idle fine, but after 10 seconds of cutting would bog down.  I let off the throttle, shook the powerhead (still running) and it would cut again for 10-15 seconds before bogging down again.  As I understand (no expert here) the propane will not boil into gas form efficiently in those kind of temps.  -43.6F is the boiling point of propane.  Our augers run on the gas vapors.  Some motors are designed to run on the liquid form, and use special or inverted tanks to deliver the liquid fuel.  My only exposure to engines running liquid where in off road trucks.  Modified GM 6.0L V8's.  They worked really well, but a day would burn two 30lb fuel tanks. 

As for the "can warmer" and the instruction to remove it.  Look at a tank as it gets empty on your heater.  You will see it all frosted up.  The sleeve will insulate and hold that cold in.  If your tank is warm, it may help keep it warm for a short time. 

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:43 PM »
After talking with several store rep it appear that this generation of jiffy propane augers was out sourced to a cheaper companies bid.   And the reps that I've talked with have said virtually every propane auger has come back.
I do understand the ambient temp vs mean temp.  I used a buddy's pro4 NOT the lite , last year up in South Dakota other than a leaky fuel line thing cut like a champ that's why I thought the pro 4 lite would be a great unit because of its weight .
Hope you guys that invested in one have better luck than and others in the Midwest with the newest generation jiffys

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:36 PM »
After talking with several store rep it appear that this generation of jiffy propane augers was out sourced to a cheaper companies bid.   And the reps that I've talked with have said virtually every propane auger has come back.
I do understand the ambient temp vs mean temp.  I used a buddy's pro4 NOT the lite , last year up in South Dakota other than a leaky fuel line thing cut like a champ that's why I thought the pro 4 lite would be a great unit because of its weight .
Hope you guys that invested in one have better luck than and others in the Midwest with the newest generation jiffys

Wow that's good info to know. I was a split second from pulling the trigger on a Pro4 lite myself but Scheel's price matched the Eskimo HC40 off of L&M's online price and it ended up being cheaper than the Pro4 lite so I went with it. If you are still in the market for a propane maybe check if your local Scheel's will do the same. It's heavier than the Pro4 lite but lighter than the Pro4. I've only drilled about 100-120 holes with mine and it's working excellent so far. I was a little skeptical buying it since it's the first year run but Eskimo's customer service is good so I went with it.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:23 AM »
I have had good luck with my HC40 so far...I've fished about 6 days with varying temps....

Offline fishking20

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for people to fish with.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:39 PM »
hc40 been good with this guy too, 14 inches of ice, temps from plus 2 to minus 24 Celsius, worked great.

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Maybe I spoke too soon. I fired up my HC40 before I went out today and it took about 10 pulls and I had to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running. I also noticed a propane smell coming from the motor. I got out to the lake and drilled a few holes and heard/smelled a loud propane leak coming from the engine compartment. Maybe one of the hoses came loose, I don't know I'll be giving Eskimo a call in the morning.

Offline fishking20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:12 AM »
Maybe I spoke too soon. I fired up my HC40 before I went out today and it took about 10 pulls and I had to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running. I also noticed a propane smell coming from the motor. I got out to the lake and drilled a few holes and heard/smelled a loud propane leak coming from the engine compartment. Maybe one of the hoses came loose, I don't know I'll be giving Eskimo a call in the morning.

any news?

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:32 AM »
any news?

Not yet I've been too busy with work to call Eskimo, hopefully I can get a chance today. I think I've narrowed the leak down to the carb though. Hopefully it isn't anything too serious because it ran fine and cut great the first 2 times I've taken it out.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Jiffy pro 4     8 inch slicker than cat poo.One two pulls at most 150 holes per tank.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Wow that's good info to know. I was a split second from pulling the trigger on a Pro4 lite myself but Scheel's price matched the Eskimo HC40 off of L&M's online price and it ended up being cheaper than the Pro4 lite so I went with it. If you are still in the market for a propane maybe check if your local Scheel's will do the same. It's heavier than the Pro4 lite but lighter than the Pro4. I've only drilled about 100-120 holes with mine and it's working excellent so far. I was a little skeptical buying it since it's the first year run but Eskimo's customer service is good so I went with it.
Too late I went back to gas.   No faith in this years propane units.   I'll wait and pic one up next year as a back up once the bugs are worked out .
Went back to strike master ever though I had issues with the solo motor years back when they first came out .
That on another thread from years back .
I think you'll be happy with your Eskimo. 
Man would I hate to be a Jiffy rep right now ! Good luck , be safe.  T.  C

Offline camocowboy40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2015, 11:54 PM »
I just picked up an HC40 a few weeks ago. So far on 3 outings have not had one issue (other than fish not biting). Haven't had it out in any extreme cold as of yet though. All in all I am happy with this machine.

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:41 AM »
Friend has a pro 4 with a 8". If I had to buy a new auger it would still be my stx pro been side by side its lighter,faster,cheaper. The stx is sluggish on the first hole until it is warmed up but after that I can pass him on the hole count.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:50 AM »
Update on my HC 40:
Have it dialed in now...no throttle needed for starting, whisper quiet at idle, cuts holes like butter.  1-2 light pulls every time, whatever the temp.  I'm finally admitting that I'm in love.  I offer to drill holes for strangers because I love it so much.  Seriously though, it has been a dream compared to 2 cycle old strikemaster I had.

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:57 AM »
Update on my situation. Called Eskimo cs and they referred me to a local small engine shop, called small engine shop and they told me they were backed up for 2 weeks. I'm going to try and take it back to Scheels and replace for a new one that I hopefully won't run into problems with.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:08 PM »
I think I jinxed myself...I went out today, and like usual, the HC 40 started and ran like a dream.  Drilled a dozen holes, and between the last couple, it sounded a bit different, but given that I have drilled 150 or so holes with it, I thought it was the tank running low.  Tried to start it a couple hours later to punch some more holes, and nada.  Put on a new tank, and still nada.  Tried two more tanks, and now I feel like my lover has cheated on me.  I can't even look at her.  I'm so pissed, I can't even express it. 

I unscrewed oil gauge, and the oil looked yellow.  I got some snow in ithe head portion while towing behind a snowmobile last weekend, but have drilled 50 holes with it since that happened.  I don't know if water got in there or what.  Calling Eskimo Monday, and will report what happens next.  Bummer.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:19 PM »
I had to put a new tank on mine today, I would guess 150 holes. Fired right back up. Starts with 1 or 2 pulls every time. I love my Pro 4 10"

Offline fishking20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:57 PM »
I think I jinxed myself...I went out today, and like usual, the HC 40 started and ran like a dream.  Drilled a dozen holes, and between the last couple, it sounded a bit different, but given that I have drilled 150 or so holes with it, I thought it was the tank running low.  Tried to start it a couple hours later to punch some more holes, and nada.  Put on a new tank, and still nada.  Tried two more tanks, and now I feel like my lover has cheated on me.  I can't even look at her.  I'm so pissed, I can't even express it. 

I unscrewed oil gauge, and the oil looked yellow.  I got some snow in ithe head portion while towing behind a snowmobile last weekend, but have drilled 50 holes with it since that happened.  I don't know if water got in there or what.  Calling Eskimo Monday, and will report what happens next.  Bummer.

oil in propane engines will look milky after use. let us know how it goes with Eskimo!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.