Author Topic: After 4 seasons w/FL8-se, my experience with the FL-18  (Read 3375 times)

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got to finally get on the ice today and use my new FL-18.  Came away with a bunch of questions and a slight feeling of missing my old FL-8. 

I am using the pro-view ducer.  I no longer have a tri-beam to fairly compare the 2 units.  I don't like how narrow the cone is.  Yes, I know you can increase gain but that also adds a ton of clutter AND makes every 3"  perch look like a 30" pike.  Yes, even in low power mode.  I like to have a dead stick to the right of me and used to be able to see it's presentation with a 19 degree ducer.  Can't see it with the pro-view.  And on the subject of low power mode, I am finding the 18 so sensitive that I have to use lp mode in 20' of water.  On the lowest gain in normal mode, it is showing my jig as red and large as a fish.  On my old fl-8, I could turn my gain down enough to make my jig a green mark, without the use of the s-cable.  I do not know if this is because of the pro-view ducer, or just the way the fl-18 works.  Would really like to hear from others with a similar setup.

One thing is for certain.  I will be getting a 19 degree ducer and switch them as needed.

I noticed the unit had a different noise to it.  When I first started using it, it had a course sound to it and the led circle was "wobbling".  After a short time, it was gone and never returned.  There is a slight change in pitch once in awhile, though.  Do these have a break-in period?  I never experienced this with my fl-8se.

Zoom mode is a must.  Really nice having that separation to make out different fish.

I'll also add that I have the digital depth addon and found it to accurately read depth even in low power mode, despite Vexilar stating it would not.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: After 4 seasons w/FL8-se, my experience with the FL-18
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:25 PM »
When I used Vexilar I liked the 12 degree. Best of both worlds. Vex units tend to show things larger then they are. Drop a euro down the hole it looks like a huge fish. I don't think the gain control is as good as it should be. All the way down should be nothing. This was one reason I went to Marcum. No more blobs. I say try a ducer you are used to and try to dial it in from there.
Fishin red lines

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Yeah, getting a 19 degree for certain.  Will be interesting.  Can't disagree on your point about the gain.  On my fl-8, it did go to nothing.

Offline Wibowhunter88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat I decided to upgrade as well I  got the new fl 28 thought it would be great to have a new unit not so sure now I got to use it yesterday. With no gain It makes dink gills seem huge  big red mark and sometimes it would seem like was running slow kinda skipping the depth would change as well from say 11 ft to 13 then back to 11.  Contiplating taking it back

Offline Wibowhunter88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Also made my jig seem huge as well was a gill pill didn't like that at all

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Upgraded my Vex last year with the triducer ...glad I didn't go with the proview based on your comments/concerns that would drive me nuts ...I didn't notice any diffence from my 12 deg to the triducer ...dialed in w/o any issues same as the 12 ..I fish skinny water less than 20 fow ..and used the 19 deg most if not all season .Thanks for your input/heads up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:50 AM »
I find that I use LP mode anytime I'm fishing less than 50' of water or so with a 12' or a dual cone 'ducer.   The proview 'ducer is good for fishing deep water (like over 100') and useless for everything else in my experience.   

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2014, 04:29 PM »
2 supression cables?  it seems a bit ridiculous vexilar can't solve this problem without a guy jerry rigging their rig to work.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:09 PM »
when it's hardly usable in an everyday fishing environment t without adding all sorts of cables I'm tapping the brakes on it being "too good"

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:21 AM »
I appreciate what Old Goat is doing.  Its at least a solution for how he wants to fish with what he wants to use.  I, howeverdont want to screw around with a 9 degree ducer in shallow water.  Got a new tribeam and it works great.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:21 AM »
I appreciate what Old Goat is doing.  Its at least a solution for how he wants to fish with what he wants to use.  I, howeverdont want to screw around with a 9 degree ducer in shallow water.  Got a new tribeam and it works great.

absolutely.  he's making it work for him which is great and pretty creative, none of my comments are a knock on him.  but that he even has to do that is preposterous from the supposed "leader" of the flasher market.    i have another buddy with the proview and gave him the supression cable tip.  he's like "i've got to spend more money to make this already expensive flasher work for me!!??"

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2014, 12:51 PM »
absolutely.  he's making it work for him which is great and pretty creative, none of my comments are a knock on him.  but that he even has to do that is preposterous from the supposed "leader" of the flasher market.    i have another buddy with the proview and gave him the supression cable tip.  he's like "i've got to spend more money to make this already expensive flasher work for me!!??"

I like to do some research before I spend big money on equipment;  had he done a little research, he probably wouldn't have gotten a unit with a proview 'ducer, and instead just a single cone or tri beam ducer...    vexilar has videos explaining how the different 'ducers work, and it talks about it in the manual too.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:45 AM »
the Pro View in my opinion is overly sensitive and enlarges everything. I personally do not like it and will only run the 12 degree transducer and a couple of the new style tri beams that replaced the original defective ones. I don't have enough time on the new tri beams so I can't say how they are but as for the 12 degree transducers I have never had issues with them. they are the best middle of the road solution between a narrow 9 degree and the wide 19 degree.  if the new style tri beams don't work to my liking then I will just put 12 degree transducers in place of them.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2014, 03:31 PM »
I like to do some research before I spend big money on equipment;  had he done a little research, he probably wouldn't have gotten a unit with a proview 'ducer, and instead just a single cone or tri beam ducer...    vexilar has videos explaining how the different 'ducers work, and it talks about it in the manual too.

he did plenty of research.  however he's a vexilar guy and didn't want anything but vexilar.  he went to the st paul show and listened to their sales dopes tell him the proview was basically God's gift to the ice fishing world and he would never need anything else.   

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2014, 03:32 PM »
the Pro View in my opinion is overly sensitive and enlarges everything. I personally do not like it and will only run the 12 degree transducer and a couple of the new style tri beams that replaced the original defective ones. I don't have enough time on the new tri beams so I can't say how they are but as for the 12 degree transducers I have never had issues with them. they are the best middle of the road solution between a narrow 9 degree and the wide 19 degree.  if the new style tri beams don't work to my liking then I will just put 12 degree transducers in place of them.

the 12 degree worked for me and my 18 in almost every fishing situation i fished in for the 2 years i had it.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2014, 08:59 AM »
with a team of suppressors I imagine so.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:08 AM »
the 12 degree worked for me and my 18 in almost every fishing situation i fished in for the 2 years i had it.
X2 I fished for many years with my fl18 deep with a 12 degree from skinny  water to 40 plus with no trouble , sold my 19 degree withy fl 8

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Just wanted to follow up with my original post.  Have since used the newly designed tri-beam with my fl-18, and got everything I had hoped for.  The new tri-beam is slightly smaller in size, but identical to the form of the proview 9 degree ducer.  I had no problem dialing in a tiny green sliver for my jigs in normal or low power modes.  The digital depth indicator still reads in low power mode with the tri-beam(all 3 settings).  HOWEVER, I have not tested this beyond 22 fow. 

I have no doubt that a 12 degree standalone ducer would be a great choice, but I can't see using anything again other than the new tri-beam.  Recommend it to everyone that fishes multiple species/depths.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:12 PM »

LOLGuess he's not experianced a marcum product yet then. The proview is a great product if hou fish deep anything besides deep water and it is worthless. hence a simple good quality tribeam is the way to go if you fish different depths.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Wow! I had no idea that degree of ice puck would cause such passion! Use the 12 degree from 6 to 50 feet so far!
Small green mark on my tiny spike going to the bottom. Have used both a 9 and 12. Like the 12.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:08 PM »

LOLGuess he's not experianced a marcum product yet then. The proview is a great product if hou fish deep anything besides deep water and it is worthless. hence a simple good quality tribeam is the way to go if you fish different depths.

he noticed my vx1 or lx5 have needed no supressors to be fishable in shallow water in the many years theyve been owned.  my 18 worked well with the 12 degree but no thin lines.   

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:02 AM »
he noticed my vx1 or lx5 have needed no supressors to be fishable in shallow water in the many years theyve been owned.  my 18 worked well with the 12 degree but no thin lines.

My 20 & 28 and 8 work fine also? So what's the point?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:33 AM »
Careful HND, you have already won.    :thumbsup:    Don't take the bait by replying.   

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:27 AM »
still dont need no s-cable with my fl-18 ;D  never had to return it too...and man, what a plethora of marcum users having problems lately...you been seeing this?

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:20 AM »
My 20 & 28 and 8 work fine also? So what's the point?

you are the one who tried to make a point.

we need ice.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2014, 10:25 AM »

we need ice.

desperately!   Had to take the boat out with the flasher just to get a taste of it!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:44 PM »

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Calling BS old Goat, I have a Fl18 and it can't compare to a one pro the five really blows it out of the water.
Just saying. I have seen the seven and it is amazing.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:15 PM »
i have a fl8 with 11 supressors on it,  I HAVE THE THINNEST LINES EVAR!!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Calling BS old Goat, I have a Fl18 and it can't compare to a one pro the five really blows it out of the water.
Just saying. I have seen the seven and it is amazing.

Bring it on up  I'm ready

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.