Author Topic: Buying high octane gas for power auger...  (Read 9181 times)

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: Buying high octane gas for power auger...
« Reply #60 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:04 AM »
As I said and corrected myself on it. Benefits to high octane is 0. I have built race engines I have seen what is does by fools running high octanes in a engine designed for fuels or should I say pump gas. Its a melt down Plain and simple. You are changing internal pressures because of the slow burn rate thus creating high vapor pressures. I do not disagree on what you say but also stand on my findings that damage can be also done by using fuels not intended to be run in these engines. Especially a 2 stroke engine where increased RPMs over a 4 stroke also increase heat due to friction or even piston ring wash.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #61 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:28 AM »
The only with premium gas is with the additives that MAY reduce engine knocking and MAY help clean your fuel system. All of the gas that goes under those gas pumps comes out of one truck. Very few people really know what octane does to make a difference in how your engine runs. You'll find it's not worth the extra $$$. You can buy octane booster to treat your gas yourself if you really want to try. Octane ratings are mainly a marketing gimmick to make people think they get higher performance. It only lowers your bank account balance ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Forgive me if there is more to it than this, but it is my understanding that running high octane gas is no different than retarding your ignition. I have never heard of anyone having any problems other than hard starting from running too high of an octane.
-Tom

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #63 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Why dontcha all just buy a 55 gal drum of C23 Nitromethane  and run that. It's 120+ octane.
That'll get your friggin' little augers just a revvin'.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #64 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:56 AM »
While the epa wants all 2 cycles to run max. of 50:1 to meet emissions standards doesn't mean it is best for your engine. a gas oil mixture of 36:1 is a very good mixture for chainsaws and ice augers. I don't care what the amsoil guys say. If you want a good argument about it go to a popular chainsaw engine forum where many high performance chainsaw builders hang out and see how they feel about even running at 50:1.  Also many high perf chainsaws guys that race in competition are now getting more power running 87 - 89 octane.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 AM »
I think somebody needs to go fishing.
Cheese Head

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Thanks for the brilliant insight on competition engines ~ none of which is applicable to the conversation .     :nono:

Coming from the guy who suddenly changed a topic about octane into an argument on an oil ratio that nobody else but an Amsoil dealer would think twice about.
-Tom

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #67 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:29 PM »
I think somebody needs to go fishing.

BEST RESPONSE SO FAR !!!!!!!!!!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:47 PM »
How about this-  Oil has more btus/gallon than gasoline. So running a 20:1 mix will actually produce more HP than a 50:1 mix.  And there is absolutely no reason to run higher octane than is recomended if the compression ratio has not changed-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:59 PM »
How about this-  Oil has more btus/gallon than gasoline. So running a 20:1 mix will actually produce more HP than a 50:1 mix.

I know this, you know this, there have been studies to back this up. Amsoil guys just plain deny it, at best they can claim the tests are too old to be valid.
-Tom

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Oh crap! pretty sure you will not realize any power gains from more oil unless you have a high compression engine as in diesel.  :P
Cheese Head

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #71 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Oh crap! pretty sure you will not realize any power gains from more oil unless you have a high compression engine as in diesel.  :P

You can't feel .0001 extra HP? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #72 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I run 91 octane because it is the only octane I can get in a non ethanol at the pumps. I go to a station that has a separate hose for each grade of gas, if not I pump in one gallon into my truck first then fill the gas can.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:25 PM »
I suppose you guys in the humid climates have more of a problem with ethanol than those of us in Drier places. In CO and Wyo the the RH is like 4% or less on the lake!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #74 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:00 PM »
I suppose you guys in the humid climates have more of a problem with ethanol than those of us in Drier places. In CO and Wyo the the RH is like 4% or less on the lake!
It's not just the hygroscopic tendency of all alcohols , it's the phase separation of Ethanol 'enhanced' gasoline, ha.  Multiple hoses help keep it to a minimum, too.       ;)2

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Isnt the separation more of a "time" thing?   Mixing small batches at a time using fresh fuel should be fine?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #76 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Isnt the separation more of a "time" thing?   Mixing small batches at a time using fresh fuel should be fine?
True, but don't wait to long as it is noticeable in about 30 days.      ;)2

Offline panfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:02 PM »
I agree with the one guy that the higher octane really isn't needed. One of the other posts recommended using 100LL av gas. I would recommend this only due to the fact that I have seen it stored for up to 10 years without turning into varnish.  It is more expensive that regular gas but if you can't use it all in one year it will store just fine until you burn it up next year. To get back to the first question, I have no idea of how much gas you are gonna get out of that hose LOL.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:59 PM »
I also couldn't tell you how much gas is left in the hose. Every station I go to has a separate hose for 91 no-ox. If you really want to know, there is an easy test. Put a little gas in a water bottle and put maybe a tablespoon or so of water in with it. Then shake the bottle up. If its clear, its pure gas. If it turns cloudy, it has ethanol in it. Try putting 2/10 in a can and bring it home to test.
-Tom

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I think we should just install a flux capacitor and a mr fusion home energy reactor....problem solved.
Cheese Head

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #80 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:20 PM »
I think we should just install a flux capacitor and a mr fusion home energy reactor....problem solved.
Need a test driver/pilot ?      :woot: :roflmao:

I really need a break from time spent coming up with a nickname/descriptive, whatever, maybe : Flibbertigibbet .      ;D

I also couldn't tell you how much gas is left in the hose. Every station I go to has a separate hose for 91 no-ox. If you really want to know, there is an easy test. Put a little gas in a water bottle and put maybe a tablespoon or so of water in with it. Then shake the bottle up. If its clear, its pure gas. If it turns cloudy, it has ethanol in it. Try putting 2/10 in a can and bring it home to test.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #81 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:59 AM »
Buy a propane auger, and then if you need even more proformance mix your own nos/lp cocktails.
go hard or go home

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #82 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:38 AM »
Buy a propane auger, and then if you need even more proformance mix your own nos/lp cocktails.
Will the addition of Ln2 make that auger   ' proform '     ?        :woot: :roflmao: :nono:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #83 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:46 AM »
I think we need to patent this **** and go into buisness.
We could make millions.    :flex:

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #84 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:48 AM »
We would have to start selling tungsten sleeves and rings on the side for all the motors thatll burn theirs
go hard or go home

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #85 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:52 AM »
We would have to start selling tungsten sleeves and rings on the side for all the motors thatll burn theirs
Yup, and cobalt-chrome pistons, best line those exhaust port with same.   Just call it Stellite ~ gotta add confusion.      :woot: :roflmao:

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #86 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:57 AM »
Naw well call it "hi pr-ice"
go hard or go home

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #87 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:01 AM »
It would be that, ha.

Interesting conversation, wyler.    Off to reach for the arms on Morpheus.  Later.....

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #88 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:39 PM »
One of the best ones I have seen was when racing Karts. One dude decided to run Nitro in his Alcohol burning Briggs. Following him on the track their was no doubt what he was burning as the fumes near burnt my eyes out. Second was the real nice red glow to the header just before the guts came flying out the side cover. The fuels we ran in our NASCAR modified we treated with a product that would lower the temps of the fuel  10 deg allowing us to jet fatter and these temps held even after 100 lap races. Alcohol fuel you could allow a low percentage of moisture to the fuel for the purpose of creating steam. Steam would increase compression by lowering the CC of the cylinder. Its a fine line to do this because too much and it ran like crap. Doing this in a separate fuel jug too because the Alcohol would sour after a day and be junk.  The comment that all the fuel comes out the same truck I am still laughing at sure it does their is also weirs in those tanks separating the fuel grades. FYI.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #89 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:50 PM »
 ;)2    And we haven't discussed vapor injection, hm.       :woot: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.