Author Topic: Buying high octane gas for power auger...  (Read 9185 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Buying high octane gas for power auger...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:40 PM »
They make a pill for that.....

Dang, I just knew I was read the wrong stuff, but may move where there's more ice.  I hear Colorado has plenty in the HIGH country.    :woot:   :roflmao:

Offline NJChris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Dang, I just knew I was read the wrong stuff, but may move where there's more ice.  I hear Colorado has plenty in the HIGH country.    :woot:   :roflmao:
That's a good one buddy. Amsoil is good stuff, I trust my $50k truck with it. It will be in that auger if it makes it to the ice this year

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:14 PM »
 Unless you've beefed up the compression in your small engine  buying 93 Octane is a waste unless that is the only offering they have with no ethanol.  Running av gas is even a bigger waste.
Cheese Head

Offline Hambone77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:45 AM »
If your ever looking for non ethanol GAS and are not sure where to find it. Ask a fuel delivery driver if you see one. I get the question all the time. :tipup:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:08 AM »
fast track  non alcohol  and I bought a  4 stroke so no oil ....best thing I ever did

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:26 AM »
fast track  non alcohol  and I bought a  4 stroke so no oil ....best thing I ever did

Well its not going to last long without oil. ::)

As far as gas, there is no reason to get 93 octane unless its the only no-ox gas you can get.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:48 AM »
Congrats trapper, no more mixing.

For long life of the 4 stroke, I'm guessing you are using the best synthetic.     :whistle:

Many times better than what the manufacturer calls for, because that's just the minimum.    :nono:

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Thanks for reminding me that that gas could have been sitting in the hose for weeks. If the hose is air tight I would think the octane would not separate from the gas. As for the oil ratio it may be a little high since I used a whole 3.5oz bottle to the gallon of gas. Probably won't make much difference since there's no ice in my area. Long range not too bright.
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Octane is an inherent isomer component of gas. It cannot separate from it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:20 PM »

As for the oil ratio it may be a little high since I used a whole 3.5oz bottle to the gallon of gas.

Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Do you think ?     

That product is good at 100:1      And the ratio instructions are on the container.

Your mix ratio is  36.5 : 1

Let me ask you, shouldn't you just run straight oil ?

I truly hope that makes sense.   

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Please don't say things like that. Statements like are why I really hate Amsoil. To you at 36.5:1 you might as well use straight oil? You said it yourself, mix at what YOU think is best. Piscesman has never had a problem at that ratio. I myself used Saber at 40:1 for a couple of years, and against what you try to tell people, I never once fouled a spark plug, never built up any kind of carbon other than what is considered normal, and it hardly smoked at all. Actually when the engine got hot, there was no smoke at all. It was not all that long ago that 16:1, 20:1, 24:1 were common ratio's. Let me ask you this, at 100:1, shouldn't you just run straight gas? You know the answer to that, but you get the point. There is no reason for him to change what he is doing. Best case scenario, his auger runs just as good as before.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Please don't say things like that. Statements like are why I really hate Amsoil. To you at 36.5:1 you might as well use straight oil? You said it yourself, mix at what YOU think is best. Piscesman has never had a problem at that ratio. I myself used Saber at 40:1 for a couple of years, and against what you try to tell people, I never once fouled a spark plug, never built up any kind of carbon other than what is considered normal, and it hardly smoked at all. Actually when the engine got hot, there was no smoke at all. It was not all that long ago that 16:1, 20:1, 24:1 were common ratio's. Let me ask you this, at 100:1, shouldn't you just run straight gas? You know the answer to that, but you get the point. There is no reason for him to change what he is doing. Best case scenario, his auger runs just as good as before.

Dear Mr Thomas,  I'm very sure you know those earlier oils that required the ratios you so proudly mentioned, were such poor oils, lacking lubricity, cling, ok, I'll stop with that. 

On the other hand, this is his first use of the best lubricant. 

As for straight gas, I don't recommend that and never have.     It should never be done with the first tank of fuel, but it has occurred with the second and third tank. The fellow took it back to the shop for complete tear down. There was no damage ~ a few new seals and gaskets and all was well.   So, what's to be learned from this error in judgement ?  Factual evidence that when used at 100:1 for one tank of fuel, Amsoil 2 cycle saved an engine through the next two tanks of straight gasoline, because, it doesn't burn off, but stays and clings to and saved an engine.

I will continue to allow the corrupting misstatements of my words, printed above in earlier posts, by you or anyone else without prejudice.   I sincerely forgive you, as you don't know enough about the subject, yet, to have an intelligent casual conversation of this topic.  Notice please, I said, yet, there is hope and I encourage you to continue on.    My purpose is to be a proponent of long engine life.    Thanks.    ;)2   

Once again, the mixing ratio is on every container.      ;D

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I buy mid-grade Gas, Ethanol free and use it in my Truck,Auger,Lawn Mower,weed eater and Rototiller. It is 87 Octane.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I buy mid-grade Gas, Ethanol free and use it in my Truck,Auger,Lawn Mower,weed eater and Rototiller. It is 87 Octane.

AND THAT'S ALL YA NEED. 87 OCTANE NON-OXY.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:59 PM »
I'm with Thomas the pikehunter on this.  not because you are wrong idaho, you may be right, but because it specifically states in the Strikemaster and Tecumseh owners manuals when using oils that specify a higher mix ratio such as Amsoil, to never exceed a 50:1 mix.  It is also written on the Amsoil bottle, UP TO 100:1, not 100:1 for everything. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #45 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:17 PM »
I'm with Thomas the pikehunter on this.  not because you are wrong idaho, you may be right, but because it specifically states in the Strikemaster and Tecumseh owners manuals when using oils that specify a higher mix ratio such as Amsoil, to never exceed a 50:1 mix.  It is also written on the Amsoil bottle, UP TO 100:1, not 100:1 for everything. 

That didn't clear up any mistaken misstatement.

I mentioned : INSTRUCTIONS ARE ON EVERY CONTAINER. 

I'm probably a fool to suppose that sorta covered the issue very well and completely. 

I remain the fool.

You can be with whomever you wish sir.

No worries as this is and will continue to be, for my contribution, about longevity of engines.     Thanks.    ;)2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:02 PM »
The instructions on all Amsoil bottles is purposely vague. The best thing you can do with Amsoil is completely ignore the bottle, and use it as the manufacturers recommend. What do they know? They only made the engine. I'm not even talking about different oil ratios, to state that running 36.5:1 will cause any problems at all vs 100:1 is completely false.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #47 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:19 PM »
The instructions on all Amsoil bottles is purposely vague. The best thing you can do with Amsoil is completely ignore the bottle, and use it as the manufacturers recommend. What do they know? They only made the engine. I'm not even talking about different oil ratios, to state that running 36.5:1 will cause any problems at all vs 100:1 is completely false.

Thank you again for totally ignoring almost everything stated above in previous posts. 

It couldn't be less vague if it was chiseled into a marble slab.

Try as you might to twist the facts, again, you are unsuccessful.

Those who made the engine(s), know engine design, whereas, Amsoil has the technology to protect all engines, even if you start from scratch and cobble your very own, failure is not an option. 

More misstatements are welcome, just know, you are showing something in everyone of your post that should be embarrassing.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Damn Idahogator, I'm with you! Just wanted you to know all was not lost on your helpful, experienced posts that you even explained for the laymen. I'm sure theres other that appreciated your info but didnt want to get into a pissing duel. Thanks, cheers

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Damn Idahogator, I'm with you! Just wanted you to know all was not lost on your helpful, experienced posts that you even explained for the laymen. I'm sure theres other that appreciated your info but didnt want to get into a pissing duel. Thanks, cheers
Thanks, jiignut.

At times my attempt at the truth seems feeble, ha.

I'm so glad you comprehended .     :thumbsup: :bow: ;)2

Oh, BTW, you seem to come across as being in real estate or at least grasp that concept also.     :roflmao:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 15, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Straight from the Amsoil Saber Professional bottle, "it is recommended for any mix ratio up to 100:1." Nowhere does it say that running too much oil will cause an issue. I'm not twisting facts, I'm saying one thing, and one thing only. 36.5:1 oil mix will never cause an issue.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #51 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:07 PM »
Straight from the Amsoil Saber Professional bottle, "it is recommended for any mix ratio up to 100:1." Nowhere does it say that running too much oil will cause an issue. I'm not twisting facts, I'm saying one thing, and one thing only. 36.5:1 oil mix will never cause an issue.

Far be it from me to ever attempt to change another persons mind against their will, for it cannot be done, they must come a cognition and realize the error in their basing an opinion on fallacies, false information and misunderstoods, often due to one single, simple word not fully comprehended.

I'm willing to aid with that, too.    ;)2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Far be it from me to ever attempt to change another persons mind against their will, for it cannot be done, they must come a cognition and realize the error in their basing an opinion on fallacies, false information and misunderstoods, often due to one single, simple word not fully comprehended.

It clearly says ANY mix ratio up to 100:1, how could it mean anything else? You are a prime example of why I gave up Amsoil.
-Tom

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #53 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:18 PM »
It clearly says ANY mix ratio up to 100:1, how could it mean anything else? You are a prime example of why I gave up Amsoil.

Well, that was a reason, though not good, but quite feeble. You, sir have lost to your anger, what about your own nose, I've heard removing it can make some even feel better.

You may feel free to celebrate such a costly decision and please know the answer is ready to be shared with you. 

My only connection is, I can sell anything I buy from them.   

By your reasoning, if the chalk squeaks ~ hate the teacher, maturity personified .

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Kids  Its why Lions eat their young

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:18 AM »
To answer a question about buying high Octane fuels. WHY? What is it going to improve? Not one thing . These are not high compression engines so running 93 or best yet 100+ octane is a joke. You want to replace pistons after a year because of detonation? You like the smell of aluminum melting? High Octane means   high flash point, slow burn rate in other words chances are the fuel will ignite before the spark occurs These little engines don't need it nor were they built for high Octane.. As stated before run non ethanol fuel if you can get it 87 octane is fine but around here 91 non ethanol is the norm which I use in all my small engines without one ounce of problems. Here is a sight put to your favorites for your own use on finding non ethanol fuel..

http://pure-gas.org/

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:31 AM »
To answer a question about buying high Octane fuels. WHY? What is it going to improve? Not one thing . These are not high compression engines so running 93 or best yet 100+ octane is a joke. You want to replace pistons after a year because of detonation? You like the smell of aluminum melting? High Octane means   high flash point, slow burn rate in other words chances are the fuel will ignite before the spark occurs These little engines don't need it nor were they built for high Octane.. As stated before run non ethanol fuel if you can get it 87 octane is fine but around here 91 non ethanol is the norm which I use in all my small engines without one ounce of problems. Here is a sight put to your favorites for your own use on finding non ethanol fuel..

http://pure-gas.org/

Actually higher octane is needed to prevent dieseling/detonation in higher compression engines.  So using high octane in a low compression engine is just wasting $.  Using low octane fuel in a high compression engine on the other hand is a bad idea.
Cheese Head

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:37 AM »
It works both ways  ;D
 But you are correct in saying detonation does occur more on higher compression engines when running low octane fuels.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cheese Head

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Holy Cow guys. Where's the love? This thread certainly makes me appreciate my old IceGator electric powerhead more than ever.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.