Author Topic: FLX28 to LX7  (Read 13051 times)

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
FLX28 to LX7
« on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:47 PM »
My wife and I bought a Vexilar FLX 28 this year and have been thinking lately we may have rather bought the Marcum LX7. Is there any performance or feature differences between the two? I guess we like the screen and layout of the Marcum a little more but that's it right now. We haven't had the chance to use an LX7. I'd hate to make the switch and not like it. What's your opinion?

Forgot to mention how it's used mostly. We have a flip over for first ice and an Ice Castle for later. We both use the same unit. Not much for run and gun. Plan to use it in the boat this summer. Depths of 4 - 50 ft

Offline packers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • insufficient funz
Re: FLX28 to LX7
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:50 PM »
My opinion. .......u just bought the best unit available on the face of the earth. Forget about the marcum!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Don't listen to the vex/marcum B.S. as it will be endless. The bottom line is either get used to it & use it, or if you can afford to take the bath, sell it & get the Marcum. Both companies make fine units at each respective price point. The only reason I bought a Marcum was the higher power rating & the movable 6 foot zone. I still have my Vex for when I fish with my buddy, cause his older unit wigs out when I fire up the LX5 :icefish:

Offline byguenette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I've had to replace 3 motors in 3 years on my marcum, my next flasher will be a FLx-28. You can't beat vex reliability.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:13 PM »
How Much Do you want for Flx-28??
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:42 PM »
thats like asking if their is a difference between night and day

not even close to the same league

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:55 PM »
flx28= Atari  lx-7=xbox 360 nuff said

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:01 PM »
You wont be replacing any motors in LX7 as was written about marcum above.

I have the LX6 and will never go back to a flasher unit. The additional views are much better than being stuck looking at the dial alone. I have found that I dont even use the flasher mode anymore and go with the chart and vertical zoom bar. Vex makes reliable units and I wouldnt argue over which is more reliable, but they are way behind in options and multi-functionality.  I would go with something with all options in the price range you are in. Humminbird and Lowrance also make great units that allow more options than vex.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:06 PM »
flx28= Atari  lx-7=xbox 360 nuff said

That's a good analogy. Pull the Atari out of the attic after 40 years and it still works. Xbox 360 after six months, red ring of death.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:06 PM »
How much $$$$$$$$$$$$
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:14 PM »
That's a good analogy. Pull the Atari out of the attic after 40 years and it still works. Xbox 360 after six months, red ring of death.

Have to give you credit. Although I would go with the LX7, thats pretty good.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:21 PM »
How much $$$$$$$$$$$$

This isn't a for sale thread.

Thanks for the input guys. Has anyone ran both?

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Have to give you credit. Although I would go with the LX7, thats pretty good.

Just couldn't help myself, these type of threads get tiring after you've see a few thousand. May as well be asking if he should get a chocolate ice cream cone or vanilla.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I ran both. when I spent the money to own one I bought a marcum if that tells you anything. Especially if your gonna use it open water, you will want that graph feature

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:34 PM »

Just couldn't help myself, these type of threads get tiring after you've see a few thousand. May as well be asking if he should get a chocolate ice cream cone or vanilla.

Well are there better features with the chocolate than the vanilla? If it gets tiring quit posting. Nobody said you had to view the thread or reply to it.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:39 PM »
X2

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:45 PM »
First off vex had to add a X to the name of the unit wonder why ..... Marcum LX series. Lx7 is the way to go. If you are looking for this on your boat also it is awesome to have 8" screen! I jigged for eyes on Mille lacs in the boat with it was great! Also if you share with your wife it is perfect because viewing angle is nice. You can adjust back light and many features to your liking. You will not be disappointed. If you have flx28 and are wishing you could try another there is a reason.
Fishin red lines

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:48 PM »
If you want a unit for open and for ice I would choose strawberry.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:41 PM »
Ice cream?!!! I vote rocky road is the best! You have all the flavors of chocolate, vanilla, and marshmallows!
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:56 PM »
peppermint rocks!!!
I bought an lx 7 last year and have used fro 5 to 100 fow , it is amazing!!
There wer aprox 20 guys jigging in a fairly tight area, 5 acres or so for lakers in 100' most of the guys with vexs had interference, I simply touched a button and the screen was clear again .
the adaptability of the marcum is amazing, i really like the ability to have three different views at once and plan to use it on open water as well.
I give you my opinion from a non-bias stand point, simply from my experience
keep in mind that the marcum is an lcd screen, no moving parts, tells you your cone foot print on the bottom and is updatable!

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:58 AM »
you can stick with your old technology for the money these units cost ill take the new anyday, you must prefer your horse and buggy to right?

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:39 AM »
Not sure from the original post if your wife and you each have a Vex or if you share the same one.  To me it looks like you only have 1 unit.  So assuming you can afford it, go buy the LX7 and fish them side by side and report back to us next year which one us best.  This does seem to be an unresolvable question any other way.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:53 AM »
If you get a chance go to Cabelas and purchase the LX7 if you don't like it you have 90 days to return it no questions asked. I was on the fence when I was looking at the Lowrance HDS-7 for my boat. Two employees of cabelas told me to buy it and use it if I don't like it return it within 90 days.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline BURBOTISM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:26 AM »
The reason I bought FLX28 is realiability and it is Made in Japan!!

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:32 AM »
the reason i went with marcum was the vex red blob i was in the shack with my buddy he said there's a fish i said no there's 3
i personally cant stand that

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:50 AM »
The reason I bought FLX28 is realiability and it is Made in Japan!!
X2! After 8 total failures 3 showdowns and 5 lx3's you couldn't give me a marcum product, for you guys that are running marcums fill out your warranty cards, once warranty has expired, sell, to someone you don't know or like!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Mr. Freeze Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Sorry you had so much trouble with Marcum. I have been running a LX-5 for years now and bought a LX-7 and have had 0 issues. You must have bought a unit that was built on a Friday or Monday........

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:14 AM »
I been happy with my LX7 , no issues.   I have seen the FLX28 in action and seems to be a good unit, I think it matters on what featured you want and dependability. 

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:48 AM »
I own a Marcum VX-1 (my extra unit for when I take someone along) and a 28.  I really like both of these units and have had 0 problems with either one.  So for me, this isn't a "Marcum vs. Vex" comment.  When I look at the upper end Marcums, I really like all the features they offer, but it just seems to me you are basically hauling a laptop computer out on the ice.  I think about the conditions on the ice.  You have ice, water, cold, snow.  Stuff can easily get banged around, stuff set on it, dropped on it while it is in the sled.  I look at the "monitor" screen on the high end Marcum units and I think about the circuitry that must be inside there to make the thing work and I immediately get worried about durability.  I was just reading a posting that someone started about having some issues with his LX-7 "hesitating".  Some sort of "hard to replicate" "every once in a while" type issue.  Sort of like what you would see with your laptop.  After the post was started, about 8 guys added a "me too" for problems with theirs.  Yikes. 

Marcum HQ is 20 minutes from my house and Vex HQ is 10 minutes away.  I have been to both.  I was just at Marcum HQ 2 weeks ago to pick up a soft case for the VX-1.  There was a stack of boxes of units 2 feet high right there in the lobby that had been sent in for service, software upgrades, etc, etc when I got there.  I don't ever see anything like that with Vex.  I'm not questioning the build quality of Marcum, all I'm saying is that when you build something this complex and put it into a harsh environment, it seems to me that problems are inevitable.  This was 2 weeks ago and each one of those boxes represents a guy without electronics right at the start of ice season.  Seeing that post about LX-7 problems just a few minutes ago sums it up for me.  Again, I don't care who manufactures it, my concern is the design.  If Vex built a "laptop" type unit, I wouldn't buy that one either. 

I don't know.  Maybe I'm ignorant on the build of these units, but it just seems to me like you are asking for issues when you haul something that complicated out in the conditions we fish in.  Maybe if you fish exclusively out of a wheel house, I could see it.  The unit rides to the lake in the warm truck and goes into the warm fish house but for a guy who pulls his shack out with an ATV or snow machine with stuff bouncing around in a sled and sets up in a cold, wicked environment, I think I'll leave the laptop at home. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline walleyerick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:19 AM »
well said Hopper- I've been thinking the same way.
"Sappers lead the way "

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.