Author Topic: ice cleats  (Read 1687 times)

Offline icedover

• IceShanty Rookie
ice cleats
« on: Dec 13, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Needing new pair of ice cleats wondering what other people have tried and liked.  I need some for myself and my 14 year old.
Usually buy him the rubber ones and they work ok but he wants a better pair and I told him will have to look around. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2014, 03:52 PM »
As good as you're going g to get:)
https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:00 PM »
kahtoola microspikes are the best hands down! A little expensive but worth more than their weight in gold! A 14 year old will probably out grow them pretty quick, so that one would have to be up to you? They are very resilient...  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:50 PM »
How big are his feet? I am pretty sure you can get some sets that a little adjustability. Yack trax have quite a few styles.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline drillinforgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I have good luck with Yak Trax and no one will freak out if you walk in a gas station with them on!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Problem with yak tracks is you will by five pair before the Kahtoolas wears out. Yak tracks don't last.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:52 AM »
This ain't going to help with your search, but I have a pair that I have been using for ten years. I am trying to figure out what brand they are I will post as soon as I do. Looking at the price of those Kahtoolas they had better last!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:57 AM »
Post a pic of them:)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:01 PM »
kahtoola microspikes are the best hands down! A little expensive but worth more than their weight in gold! A 14 year old will probably out grow them pretty quick, so that one would have to be up to you? They are very resilient...  ;D

Just go to their site for sizing for pac boots and winer boots ...two things I learn through trail and error and ice shanty members ...Kahtolas micros and Eskimo anchors rock ...both have saved my back and aggravation
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!

Offline hskerhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:08 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Anti-slip-Cleats-Traction-Crampon-Walking/dp/B004TJEA8Q/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1418515968&sr=8-8&keywords=snow+ice+cleats

Have you tried these cleats out?  The reviews on amazon are mixed.  Just curious if they hold up or not.  I am just wondering if it suits the saying that you get what you pay for?

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I've had a pair of Railroad issued Jordan David Grip-X ice cleats for years.  Worked great and it was easy to change out the "cleats" when they became worn.
http://www.slipresistant.net/Slip-Resistant-Pages/grip-x-ice-grippers-for-shoes.html

That said, I recently found $50 laying around in Mrs. H-F-E's purse with no known tag on it, and bought a pair of them "aggressive looking" Kahtoola's.

No ice (yet) in Central NE to test on, but one thing I DO know is I won't be walking into "Quick Mart" with 'em ON!

The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline GreenBucketSeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Has anyone used the Kahtoola K-10s?
Kind of pricey, but I like the idea of a cleat that doesn't rely on elastic for harness tension.

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Has anyone used the Kahtoola K-10s?
Kind of pricey, but I like the idea of a cleat that doesn't rely on elastic for harness tension.

I bought a new pair of PAC boots this year (size 13) and was concerned that my Microspikes would not fit. I also had knee surgery a few months ago, so I though a good pair of high-end crampons was called for on the ice this winter. I ordered a pair of the K-10's. They did not even come close to fitting on my boots, and I was not impressed by their quality. When I put them on a smaller pair of shoes, they still fit poorly. I actually thought they seemed kind of cheap, so I returned them. I was able to stretch my Microspikes onto my new boots. They fit, just barely, but they still fit. I like the Microspikes so much that I actually bought a second pair that I keep in my vehicle in case something happens to my first pair because most stores typically sell out early in the winter. YMMV, but I just do not think there is a better pair of spikes made right now than the Microspikes.

Offline GreenBucketSeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Thanks Dakota, that was just the kind of advice I was looking for!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Khatoolas...game on. Come see me at Scheels in Sioux City.  We have full stock - ready to rock.

Brad
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Instead of trying to save money just go with the best ice cleats out there. I tried an HT pair where there was traction on the toe and still ended up falling. Tried the STABILicers and they would come off of my boot at times. This year I decided to fork over the money and bought some kahtoolas. I would rather spend $50-65 if it saves me from a hospital bill from falling on the ice and breaking something.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Sheet metal screws for me.  Might be a good idea if he won't see more than a year of of his boots.  It cost me about $4 for a package.

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:11 PM »
I second the sheet metal screws.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:27 PM »
x3 on the sheet metal screws. i have one big pair of pac boots that pretty much only get used for ice fishing. They have a 3in sole. Put about 6 screws in each boot to start with and works perfect. No worries of the strap on ones falling off, getting full of snow, etc, etc, etc. Obviously if you use this set of boots for other things its not the best option. However, take the $60 you are going to spend on spikes and buy a pair of mickey boots and put screws in them. Those will be solely your ice fishing boots. Now you have another pair of boots for the price of the cleats. As mentioned above, screws are about $4. Never had one move, fall out, etc. to each their own.

Offline medic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:34 PM »
If they are just going to be your ice boots save the trouble of the slip on cleats and just have them cleated. That is hands down the BEST cleats out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.