Author Topic: Loughborough Ice Watch 2014-15  (Read 12339 times)

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Loughborough Ice Watch 2014-15
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:54 PM »
Nice work guys, glad to see the fish are cooperating! I will be out there Friday morning to give it a shot.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:12 PM »
Nice work guys, glad to see the fish are cooperating! I will be out there Friday morning to give it a shot.
Good call waiting until Friday, tomorrow and Thurs are just going to plain suck. Lows in the -20s Wind chills in the -30s to -40s, at least it will be building ice!
@jzuliniak

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Oh yeah, let the fun begin, going to the Frontenac park on Saturday try my luck for specks but should make it out on Sunday for the big boys. Good luck guys.
Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!

Offline Sfraser88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:14 AM »
If you don't mind me asking where in Frontenac park do you fish for specks. I head up to calabogie to fish them didn't know there was place closer to kingston to fish them.

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:48 AM »
There are two lake to fish for specks in the park that I know of , Moulton lake, and Tetsmine lake, the Moulton will take about 45 to 60 min walk and Tetsmine in about an 1.5 hr walk coming in from Kingsford lake dam. It can be worth it if they are on but have had a few days where I was cursing them, go in light with little gear and take breaks along the way as to not over heat. Good luck and maybe I'll see ya out there some day.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:59 AM »
There are two lake to fish for specks in the park that I know of , Moulton lake, and Tetsmine lake, the Moulton will take about 45 to 60 min walk and Tetsmine in about an 1.5 hr walk coming in from Kingsford lake dam. It can be worth it if they are on but have had a few days where I was cursing them, go in light with little gear and take breaks along the way as to not over heat. Good luck and maybe I'll see ya out there some day.
Sorry for the hijack of the Lobo thread but curious on what that last portage is like to moulton? Fished it a number of times in spring in fall from shore but never tried in the winter because couldn't imagine dragging a sled up that portage route.  Does the snow cover make it more manageable?
@jzuliniak

Offline pierced lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Hey JZ, I think I hijack the thread  sorry for that , I don't drag a sled in at all I just have a large older style backpack that i put my gear in and tie the 6" auger to and carry my minnows, snow shoes a must late winter, its still a pain to get in there but sometimes you got to work to get the fish.

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:29 AM »
I might be heading back up for some more good times on the lake on Friday. Way to cold right now to sit for hours out there. Something i noticed this year with the 2 Lakers i brought home yesterday was when i cooked them up, they didn't have that slightly "OFF" taste that i found with fish from previous years. They tasted really good. They were the naturally reproducing fish and not the stocked ones. I brought home the natural ones before and they tasted not the greatest as well. What would cause this? I just hope i can catch more of these really tasty ones. Hey rick...did the ones you caught yesterday taste better than normal?
ECB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:14 AM »
I might be heading back up for some more good times on the lake on Friday. Way to cold right now to sit for hours out there. Something i noticed this year with the 2 Lakers i brought home yesterday was when i cooked them up, they didn't have that slightly "OFF" taste that i found with fish from previous years. They tasted really good. They were the naturally reproducing fish and not the stocked ones. I brought home the natural ones before and they tasted not the greatest as well. What would cause this? I just hope i can catch more of these really tasty ones. Hey rick...did the ones you caught yesterday taste better than normal?
I have never really noticed a taste difference btw naturals or stocked.  I know some people dont like the taste of the strain of lakers in Lobo but I think that to do with how the fish is processed.  If you bleed the fish right away on the ice it makes a big difference.  One time a couple years ago I caught some lakers it was -30394849 degrees outside so even though I cut the fish it froze almost instantly and did not bleed properly and it didnt taste great.  Any other time I have bleed out fish they tasted amazing.  And if you are bleeding fish dont be shy, dont just nick the gills i have a little 3 inch knife that I insert btw the pec fins just below the head and they bleed fast.
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:22 AM »
hmmmm...maybe that's why they tasted better. Previous years i didn't bleed out the fish but yesterday i did. Interesting. 
ECB

Offline Sfraser88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Pierced lip thank you for your reply. I am thinking of going next week love fishing specks

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Yep, that's the ticket indeed Jeremy. Haven't cooked mine up yet but looking forward to it. The wife found an awesome recipe for them. You gotta stop by and I'll give you a copy of it.

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:58 PM »
Sounds good Rick. I will be up to Lobo on Friday morning for round 2. You should come out again. Maybe i will get some more funny videos lol
ECB

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Question... If I catch a laker from say about 75-100 ft. Can they be released or will they die due to the depth? I just started ice fishing Lobo last year and kept what I caught. I don't always like to keep my fish, so was just wondering if I throw them back am I killing them anyway?

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Question... If I catch a laker from say about 75-100 ft. Can they be released or will they die due to the depth? I just started ice fishing Lobo last year and kept what I caught. I don't always like to keep my fish, so was just wondering if I throw them back am I killing them anyway?
Yes they can be release they are one of the few fish that can regulate their air bladder.  You may notice bubbles coming up in the hole when you are bringing a laker in, that is them releasing air.  It's a great question fishO because the limit for lakers is 2 and that's not just a daily limit its a possession limit so if you have two in the freezer at home you can't keep anymore, but they are pretty hardy so you can be confident that any well handed fish will survive, and nothing is more fun than fishing for lakers so it would be a shame if you had to stop fishing once you get two. I have never had one that didn't swim away, well beside the ones that are the guest of honour at dinner!
@jzuliniak

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Thanks for confirming JZ, appreciate it. I would hate to release them only to see them float back up. I much prefer to eat walleye or perch so I plan on releasing most of the trout I might catch.  Thanks for the info cheers!

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:15 AM »
Ice thickness at 98 ft.  4-5 inches black ice 1in white.  Lots of action on the finder but no takers

It's a bit windy today. 

Any more wind.  And it's plitzville for me.
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:09 AM »

Now there just toying with me.
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:26 PM »
Hey megaram I assume thats you in the blue clam? I was wondering who was crazy enough to be out in this weather. hopefully they start to cooperate!
@jzuliniak

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Yup. That's me.
Lots and lots of lookers.  No takers.  I used everything in my arsenal

About to pack it in for the day
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Hey Megaram..your still out. I'm looking out the window and thinking about it but those winds are nasty swirling around your hut. Lol. I assume the marks are holding you from packing up!!

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:50 PM »
Lol. Don't come out. Crazy windy out here.  Even the marks are gone now. 1 ever 30 min or so
I'm afraid to stand up.  It's a wild ride out here, even with the ice anchors
 :o
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Wind probably pushed the marks away!!lol. Be safe coming in. I'll keep an eye on ya

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Is anyone planning on going out tomorrow morning? I will be out there from 0700-1200. I will most likely be fishing in the 75-90fow range. Hope to see some of you guys out there.
ECB

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:29 PM »
See Ya there bud. Takin a mate out with me. Apparently he seems to have trouble getting them. Should be out around 8:30. Please shut off the camera.lol

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:50 PM »
nah the camera will be on haha. never know what funny things could happen out there. Plus i want to get vid of a nice run from a big 6-7 lb'er hopefully lol. We will see who wins on "BIG FISH" for tomorrow. I got you last time:)
ECB

Offline Redbeard42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Hi Guys
I am new to the board but have been a lurker for a while.  I really get a feeling or a sense of community reading this thread.  I have decided to make the long trip tomorrow morning to try and catch my first laker of the season.  From what i have read in the older posts white tubes and minnows on spoons seem to work.  I have fished some other laker lakes up north and have great success on just a plain minnow and a hook.  I was planning on trying that setup tomorrow but i am not sure what time Catch all bait shop is open to get minnows.  I like to give the local bait shops my business since they are the underdog in comparison to bps or canadian tire.  So if anyone has an answer for me that would be great.  I am planning on leaving my place around 4 and will hopefully be on the lake by 8 after i have found minnows.
Thanks
Redbeard
Ps i will be in a blue clam pulling a  smitty sled.  stop by and say hi if you feel like it.

Offline Sfraser88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:57 PM »
I am planning on heading out around 10:30 tomorrow. Would love to meet you guys. I will be the black subzero pop up if you see me wave me down . I will have to stay away from the camera as something always happens to me when I go out lol. 

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:52 PM »
I may pop out there for an hour or two tomorrow but the weather does not look good so may be Saturday instead. Keep an eye on the forecast before heading out it's gusting to 70 right now in the kingston area, and will be still blowing in the morning.
@jzuliniak

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:08 PM »
70.  Ahh pish posh.  That's nothing.  Lol.  Just a little brease.  Like today.

And on that note, I need to repair the clam after today.  Snapped a few pins in the extendable poles.

Going to try and make it back out tomorrow around 930ish. 
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.