Author Topic: Looking for a one man shelter  (Read 931 times)

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for a one man shelter
« on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Hello all!
A new season is upon us. I am sure this topic like most will have a host of varying opinions. On that note I would like to hear them.
I have a nice pop up hub , but find it too large and cumbersome fishing solo or doing more of a hit and run with the mighty lx7. I am feeling a hankering for a one man flip over that I can use. I prefer the following but have no prior experience with owning a sled shelter.
Wish list: Light , good ventilation, tall ( i am 6'3) , swivel seat over bench, front window to see tip up spread , pulled by man power not a machine, I do tend to spend a full day out hiking across  a lake...... was thinking possibly the frabill commando.....although I believe the regular is discontinued so you can only get the heavier thermal.
I have read that the lighter fabrics are fairly noisy in the wind yet the heavier thermals buffer the wind well.
Please give me your kind opinions

Offline vans

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking for a one man shelter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:36 AM »
I purchased a Shappell FX150 last year, I like the extra room it provides, built a Smitty sled also as it's pretty heavy to pull

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Everyone's need are a bit different. I have an older Fish Trap that I find myself using more from time to time.

It is nice because I can throw it in the truck easily by myself. It doubled as my sled. I do have a swivel seat in it which I like. I also am long in the legs and find the house to be plenty roomy. The Buddy Heater works great for keeping it warm.

There are so many choices out there to pick from it is overwhelming.Take your time, try as many as possible, enjoy your time!

WS

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:02 AM »
I have an older 2 man Clam flipover i found on Craigslist.

It isn't a whole lot bigger or heavier than a 1 man so if you find a deal on a 2 man don't rule it out.

As far as functionality goes you are right on ......  to move you flip it up, move, drill a hole and flip it down and fish!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:05 AM »
Picked up a clam scout xltc this year so far im likeing it as im 6-8
Seams to be ample room for all the gear I take along and no more drips !
Hard Ice

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:16 AM »
I was on Craig's List Albany and saw a bunch of ice fishing stuff. Flip overs too. You could get a good 1 man at a reduced rate. Good Luck......
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:55 AM »
I have a HT a Polar Escape and it has been a good one. I love how the black fabric heats up and the fabric is extremely rugged but very flexible. It come with a three leg tripod chair that fits into molded spots in the sled but a bucket with a swivel lid works well. I just like the back on the chair. Great shanty and great price.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I just bought a Shappell fx100 last night. Seems to have a little more fishing area and room than most one man shacks and a little heavier fabric. Most of the bigger one man shacks aren't any lighter other than a 2 man, and I wanted something lighter for dragging into farm ponds. I'm keeping my Frabill trekker for when I want more room, but at 37 lbs, the Shappell should work for when I want to travel light. I just need to add a light seat on the bench and I'll be set.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:45 AM »
the commando is a palace.all day trips no problem but dragging thru snow with gear wears me out.i bought a shappel fx100 because of the weight difference commando at 59 and the fx 100 at 38.ill pull my commando everyday I can with a smitty sled.but when we get 2 ft of snow im pulling the shappell and probably will have a sore back from the board bench for a seat.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:02 AM »
I went with the Otter Wild Cottage. 

I also found a folding directors chair that I modified with some PVC pipe so I can adjust the height.  I'm 6'5" so this really makes it more comfortable.  Also when you set the chair with the back legs in the tub and the front legs on the ice it will be leaning forward so that takes care of that problem.

This will be my one man tent but with the room of a small two man.  I will remove the bench seat that comes with the Wild Cottage and use this chair, that cuts the weight to about 50-55 Lbs.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:33 PM »
So many nice choices out there. Sat in a Clam Kenai pro the other day, nice lay out , but a little concerning be able to see through the fabric in so many places!! shappell looks like a pretty darn good deal> After thinking it over more, a one man , mho , is more the fish and move or the long journey across a 1/2 mile lake with minimum weight. I have a nice pop up for those easy dragging days or when there is a group to share the load.
Thanks for the input , keep it coming.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.