Author Topic: ROCKY BOOTS  (Read 7522 times)

Offline PERCHEYE74

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BASSCOTT99 WONDERING HOW BUZZ CATCHES THE FISH
ROCKY BOOTS
« on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:22 PM »
I JUST BOUGHT A PAIR OF ROCKY ICE STALKER BOOTS THAT HAVE 6 RETRACTABLE CLEATS IN THE BOTTOMS AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS USED THEM. I HOPE THEY WILL WORK ON THE SLIPPERY HARDWATER. ANY INFO WILL BE GREAT. :)

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: ROCKY BOOTS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:00 PM »
Bought a pair a couple years ago,the part of the cleat that you unfold broke off,only used them a few times.

Offline PERCHEYE74

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BASSCOTT99 WONDERING HOW BUZZ CATCHES THE FISH
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:15 PM »
FLAG WAS THAT THE KIND WITH THE 2 CLEATS OR 6. I WILL BE PI$$ED IF ALL SIX OF MINE BREAK OFF

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:20 PM »
There a nice pair of boots but the cleats end up breaking off.If you look at the brand new ones they came out with they might be a little better as the cleats are bigger in sze and not as many!The ones with 6 break easy!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:49 PM »
I got the Rocky's last season that have the two cleats per boot.  Didn't need the cleats last year because we were up to our knees in snow and slush most of the time.  But this year is a different story so far.  Every time out has been glare ice, and the cleats work perfectly!  The boots are pretty damn warm to.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:58 AM »
     The West Coast Shoe Company, where I have my loggers boots made, sells 'Caulks',(don't know why they call 'em that), that strap on to your boots. I mostly use my 17" rubber, hard toe barn boots and leave 'em on from year to year.
      They have SPIKES on 'em that are replaceable if they ever wear down and they work like you wouldn't beleive. You will NOT slip on ice, ever, or most other surfaces either. It took me twenty years to find the right combination of boots and spikes that would keep feet warm and dry and still just FALL OFF if I go through the ice over deep water.
      The 17" height allows for deep slush walking, and anything that freezes to the rubber will crunch off almost by itself. On super cold days with windblown clear ice the spikes seem to hold you up off the ice just enough to be out of contact with the ice and my feet stay warm with only a pair of light cotton socks. When I do an overnighter out in the portable hut I may put on a pair of light wool socks due to the inactivity.
       I've gone through several ice fishing partners over the years because of their cold feet and inability to stay upright on bare ice, hence I fish alone more often than with a partner.

All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Bought them last year and returned them because of the cleats breaking off. The boots were warm as hell but the cleats would just flop around. Return them. The blizzard stalkers are just as warm.

toothy

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I have had Rocky's with two retractable cleats, Heel and toe, for a few years now.
The cleats work great, have not broke yet and the boots are fine and much lighter weight then my Ice Kings by LaCrosse.
The Rocky's are not as warm as I would like them to be but they work great above 20 degrees and on glare ice.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Jack Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:09 PM »
I have a pair of Corn Stalkers and Snow Stalkers.  Not all that impressed.  I've noticed that durability has become an issue over the past few years.  Anyone share this opinion or have I just gotten stuck with a couple bad pairs?

JH

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Yep, Every pair of Corn Stalkers and Bear Claws I have owned had the soles crack long before they wore out.
Can't say anything bad about the uppers or the interior but the bottoms are JUNK!
Rock is happy to send you new soles but then it costs ya $40 at the shoemaker getting them installed.
Guess if they are going to ware like a pair of $40 boots they prolly ought to cost about $40 bucks.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:36 PM »
I know they stand behind there product,but i boiught a pair of stalker boots and the whole bottom fell off.I brought them back and they replaced them with a new pair.I wore the new pair a total of 8 times and the dam bottom of the boot fell off of that to.I ask rocky what they were going to do and they have never replied back!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline tomevee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:01 PM »
buy lacroose   ice man boots and it will be the last pair you ever have to buy

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2006, 04:33 PM »
i to have noticed the cleats are staring to fall off..  i have the 6 cleat per. boot ..i have made about 25 trips to the ice... 2 cleats on one boot are missing... oh well boots kick a$$ and keep you warm, even just sitting there!!!  -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:16 AM »
bought a pair last season
very warm & comfortable
work well on clear ice
no problems with cleats yet :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:02 PM »
This is the 4th year with no problems.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:48 PM »
I have a pair with 1,000 grams thinsulate. They're very warm but don't have the cleats. I just ordered the boot chains from Cabelas. Heard these are working the best among the folks I have talked to this year. Probably the last pair of Rocky's I'll have though. Heard horror stories from other people that have had them just fall apart after a few years. Probably going with LaCross next time.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.