Author Topic: Marcum LX-7 problem  (Read 5845 times)

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum LX-7 problem
« on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Towards the end of last year I noticed a pause or hesitation every few seconds, almost like the screen was freezing. So I sent the unit back to Marcum and they replaced the ducer no questions asked and sent it back. It seemed to work fine afterwords until I took it out of storage yesterday and it did the same thing.

The battery was fully charged and it was running in simulation mode yesterday when I notice the problem again. I tried changing the display and it didn't matter. The only thing that seemed to help was changing it from dynamic depth to auto range.

I don't understand why there would be issues in simulation mode??

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum LX-7 problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Be sure you have the latest software revision which is on their website.  I recall some issues with the dynamic depth feature in earlier versions.  Can't remember if it affected unit in simulation mode.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2014, 03:47 AM »
First time on the ice yesterday with mine and it would do the same thing at times, a kind of hesitation. does it all the time in simulation mode to the point of it being worthless in that mode. I may call them on Monday and see whats up if it does it today again. I wont be happy if they say to send it in and they will take a look at it. on another note I turned my Lowrance on in the shack next to it and couldn't get the interference rejection to work well enough to use either of the units, just a complete mess on the screen.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2014, 03:51 AM »
Mine did the same thing a few times last weekend. Seemed to do it when I had more then one fish under me and mostly when they were still close to the bottom. Had it in dynamic depth mode also. I never tried to change it as it was not that bad. Take it out on the ice and try it. It was worse before I updated to latest software revision. If it still does it give them a call. They have been great to work with as far as CS goes for me.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I had the same issue, it didn't matter if I had it in manual, dynamic, or auto mode it would periodically freeze. Marcum had me send the head unit in, they received it on Friday replaced the system board and shipped it back out Monday.

I still experience the problem only in dynamic mode if I am fishing weedy bottoms now, at first I was frustrated but then heard a few buddies were having issues with their FLX28's in auto mode fishing the same weedline. I switched mine up to manual mode and experienced no further issues.

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:27 AM »
Question....Why would a guy have the simulation on out on the ice??

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Here is a video of the problem.

http://youtu.be/-942AMGj_iE

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Question....Why would a guy have the simulation on out on the ice??

I had it in simulation mode at home to make sure everything was working before heading out for the first time this year.

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try it out on the ice this year.  Guess I will just have to keep it in auto range. Just doesn't make sense that you can't use the dynamic depth range.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I would call Marcum. You should not be experiencing freezing in simulation mode.

Offline BAMA3ROLLTIDE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Mine has been doing the same thing but only in dynamic

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:17 AM »
I think when it's in Dynamic mode and tracking the bottom it will freeze when it thinks the depth changes to re compute and redraw the screen.
in a mode where you set the depth it wont do this, even if you set a depth range in the simulation deeper than the simulator it stops the freezing screen

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Here is a video of the problem.

http://youtu.be/-942AMGj_iE

Yea, that's annoying!

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Pos  lol   .   money well spent....not!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:58 AM »
I think when it's in Dynamic mode and tracking the bottom it will freeze when it thinks the depth changes to re compute and redraw the screen.
in a mode where you set the depth it wont do this, even if you set a depth range in the simulation deeper than the simulator it stops the freezing screen

I've had mine pause and think when there are too many fish around.  Thinks the bottom has come up and tries to adjust.  Part of the trouble you are seeing in simulator mode is the bottom changes depth a lot - as if it were being used on open water mode.  You won't see that ice fishing.  Make sure you have the latest software and you should be good to go.

Offline Bumski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:23 PM »

I had it in simulation mode at home to make sure everything was working before heading out for the first time this year.

Interesting point.....I never thought of that...

I used my simulation only once..for about 20 mins to set the display options when I first got it.......

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:10 AM »
Make sure you dont do updates unless you really need to. Updates doesn't always mean it's good. Sorry but that is what the tech i talk to said. My 1 year old unit still runs on version 3.01

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:54 AM »
I tinkered with mine to check out the freezing issue. Sure enough in simulator mode it hesitates repeatedly. Since I use the graph view, I noticed that the simulation is from a moving boat, the depth changes continuously as someone above mentioned. Gave it a quick test in our pond (no ice yet) and there's no problem in dynamic mode.  I'm guessing when the transducer is stationary there is no depth change, therefore no lurching screen shots while the machine adjusts. No fish on screen though, maybe that makes it jerky as well. Overall love the machine!  :thumbsup:

Offline Cranked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Yes. Yes. And yes.

I have this problem with my unit when in simulation. I have this problem with my unit when I have three windows open and I have this problem with my unit when in dynamic mode.
I called Marcum last week and spoke with Chris. He said he was   unaware of this issue. ??? Am I the only one that has called?
Long story short I sent  in and they got it Monday. We'll see what happens.

Start tuned.

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Marcum units hands down are great units. From the lx3 to the lx5. I've had the lx7 and my buddy still has his lx9. Both units we had would freeze up on us, that is why I sold mine and down graded to a lx5, or should I say upgraded. Marcum has a great u it on there hands with the lx6,7, and 9, but they need a lot of work still. All these units are Having issues with them and yet there still selling them. They need a lot more tweaking before I'll go back to a lx7. For now I'll stick with my lx5 which I haven't had a single issue with at all. My girl has the lx3 and loves it.
KCCO

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:23 PM »
This is how to fix it ......( screen freeze up)

Its kinda of glitch the system has when ever you put it into simulation  and even when going back to regular settings .

Just go into settings and press default to factory settings.

This is what I did and it cleared it all up .

JR

Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Sell it. Buy a Lowrance. Go fishing and start fishing. Ice season is too short to settle for sketchy electronics.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Sell it. Buy a Lowrance. Go fishing and start fishing. Ice season is too short to settle for sketchy electronics.

Hit the nail on the head!!! ;)
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:46 PM »
Just don't understand why guys are still buying those units even with all the negative reviews out here. They'll keep selling them like they are if guys don't stop buying them. Want a better product from them, stop buying their crap until they start producing more reliable units. Latest isn't always the greatest. But everybody makes their own choices. Good luck if you choose their products.

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2014, 03:38 AM »
Just don't understand why guys are still buying those units even with all the negative reviews out here. They'll keep selling them like they are if guys don't stop buying them. Want a better product from them, stop buying their crap until they start producing more reliable units. Latest isn't always the greatest. But everybody makes their own choices. Good luck if you choose their products.

Right on.. I use to be a marcum person.  Sold my problematic lx3tc bought an flx28 will see how this one goes. If my lx7 treats me well I'll keep it. If not I'm changing sides. For me i don't need all the extras I need something I can rely on. I only bought the lx7 because I got a really good deal on it and it was before my lx3tc went bad. In my book i wouldn't spend any money on marcum dials.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:03 AM »
 ;D
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:44 PM »
This is how to fix it ......( screen freeze up)

Its kinda of glitch the system has when ever you put it into simulation  and even when going back to regular settings .

Just go into settings and press default to factory settings.

This is what I did and it cleared it all up .

JR
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Here's the response I got from Marcum today on how to fix it.

Hi,
The Dynamic Depth feature is great, but certain circumstances can cause it to be glitchy.  When you start out, have the range set for MANUAL and 0-40 feet.  Once you have established your depth, use the MANUAL DYNAMIC feature to set your range.  If the water is 29 feet, set the MANUAL DYNAMIC to 30 feet.
I hope this solves your issue
Thanks and good luck,

So it seems their "fix" is to not use auto dynamic range.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.