The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: any info on Madison area  (Read 10243 times)

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: any info on Madison area
« Reply #30 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Went out on Mendota Saturday and Sunday off Gov. Island. Slow on Saturday (for me, talked to others that did better). Sunday was better but had to move around a lot. Surprise of the day was a 23" walleye in 60ft on a noodle rod with 3lb test - that was fun! Ice season is done for me, time to bring out the boat

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Yikes, I have all of December off for my annual ice fishing frenzy and no ice yet!! Looks like I may be doing some open water fishing at Cherokee, Marshall Park or Monona Bay. Think cold, bring on the ice! I really do not enjoy the open water fishing, but no other options looking at the weather forecast? Hoping to float a bobber over good early ice spots, Ohh, it's just not the same!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:28 PM »
give me a yell when the first ice shows up

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Ha, I have poked around the Madison lakes open water fishing the past 3 weeks, nothing, not even a bite! You would think floating a ice jig under a bobber with spikes, fished over usual first ice fishing hotspots would produce, but nothing. It will be a while for safe ice, after the new year, we need some cold weather!

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Got out on Cherokee this afternoon.  Ice is safe, but bites were few.  Had only one nice gill, but had something on at end of day that broke me off.  Prob a bass.  At least I wasn't watching fishing shows on TV.

Fs

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Darn warm and rainy weather, hope what little ice out there is holding up Looks like the cold is moving in finally! I plan on poking around a bit on Sunday when it gets cold, Cherokee, Marshall Park, County Park, last resort is Monona Bay, I just hate  fishing the bay in the crowds!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Hey madgill I was up on the bay Tuesday I could not get out to my normal spot because the ice looked a little sketchy but I used my normal strategy of getting at least 40-50 yards away from shanty town to isolate myself from the noise and gauntlet of jigs. Fishing was a little slow and to my surprise I got a lot of 6 inch perch but I did manage to scratch out ten 8" gills and five 11-12" fat black crapie so it was not a wasted trip especially for my first walk on the hard water this year probley take the drive back up maybe Tuesday or Wednesday
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Tried up on Lake WI today, pretty slow but good to be on ice in southern WI. Trying Madison area tomorrow AM

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I got out a bit today, darn cold and windy. Marshall Park and Cherokee, skunked at both places. Could not move around much, just had to get out there, drill a hole and hunker down in the shanty and hope you did not blow away! Yikes, those wind gusts at Cherokee around 1:00 were brutal, blowing across the marsh, almost got blown in to shore, inside the shanty, good thing I had sharp creepers to dig in. Better fishing days ahead, I'm still thawing out!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:54 AM »
I went out yesterday too, to Upper Mud. Drilled 30+ holes finally marked fish in one and it took 2hrs to get a bite, ended up being a walleye. Very surprised I couldn't even find small gills. I'm guessing the weather had a lot to do with the bite (or lack of)

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Oh, that upper Mud is a hike through the marsh pulling a sled, did that several years ago, not for me anymore, getting too darn old for that! I'm blowing off work and fishing in the morning, need to git er done before the weather get's bad again, last Sunday's trip was brutal in that wind, I should have my head examined for being out there! I plan on starting at the south triangle( Monona) tomorrow at the crack of dawn, poke around, will see what happens. Lots of unexplored areas out there! Just bought a new Aqua Vu micro camera, excited to try it out, find fish then use the Vexilar to catch. Bernie's beach area can be good also, I like to get away from the crowds!

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Ha, I have been poking around Cherokee the past 2 weekends, nice and quiet, lots of area to explore. Out yesterday afternoon with the Vexilar & new camera. Lots of fish cruising around down there, tough to get them to bite, both fun and frustrating to watch on the camera, I did catch enough for a meal, plastics seem to be better tipped with a spike, a good couple hours of fishing. Not many people out there, it sure beats the zoo on Monona Bay, there had to be 1,000 people out yesterday when I drove by! I need to hit Wingra soon and find a few perch!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:42 PM »
I've been watching your posts on lake dink.   Lets go get em.  Turville bay tomorrow.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Ha, Lake Dink? That Turville Bay can be hot, I have not fished it in years, used to be able to drive back and park right next to the bay, now it's a walk around from Olin? Today's snow will make walking a bit more difficult, I like walking on snow free ice with creepers, like a cat on the ice, this snow will slow me down a bit! Let us know how you did out there. South Triangle was not good for me. Anxious to try for some perch off Wyldehaven, down the steps, off in the deep water but that's always hit or miss. Might catch bigger perch on Wingra, less walk, fish through small ones, always fun!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Turville was good.  I come in from Esther Beach if I'm on foot. 

I fished the south triangle once in my life, and that was a few weeks ago.  Did very well, with a nice pike to boot. 

I've got the ATV registered for Madison lakes, so I can get around very easy.  Looked for perch in deep water last week Thursday out in front of the Yahara inlet, came up empty. 

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Going to go chase perch on Mendota this weekend, weather looks pretty warm!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:16 PM »
is the perch chariot up and running yet?       I can't walk to far without stopping

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:09 PM »
is the perch chariot up and running yet?       I can't walk to far without stopping

I haven't seen any news but you can call Blue Ribbon Outdoors at 608 698 3332

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:18 PM »
Old Goat, that perch fishing on Mendota is over rated! I 'm getting older also, no more humping out to the middle of the lake to for me to get skunked or catch small ones . Those little perch die when caught in 40+ water, not for me, saw it several years ago off Gov Island, walked out on clear ice, hundreds of dead perch floating under the ice, quite shocking! I still remember the old days, 40 years ago when my dad would come home on Sat with 50 large perch, Mom & I would fillet them, dad would go to bed due to drinking too much dandelion wine on the ice! Oh the good old days! These days, I stick to safe spots around the Madison area, Cherokee has been ok for me, still seeing lot's of fish on the camera, tough to get them to bite. Wingra is always fun to fish, off Knickerbacker, easy walk, lots of action, fish through the small ones, off to the left maybe some perch?

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:39 PM »
not to worry madgill I only catch the big ones     got 20 gills a while back all 2 inchers     ah

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Old Goat, that perch fishing on Mendota is over rated! I 'm getting older also, no more humping out to the middle of the lake to for me to get skunked or catch small ones . Those little perch die when caught in 40+ water, not for me, saw it several years ago off Gov Island, walked out on clear ice, hundreds of dead perch floating under the ice, quite shocking! I still remember the old days, 40 years ago when my dad would come home on Sat with 50 large perch, Mom & I would fillet them, dad would go to bed due to drinking too much dandelion wine on the ice! Oh the good old days! These days, I stick to safe spots around the Madison area, Cherokee has been ok for me, still seeing lot's of fish on the camera, tough to get them to bite. Wingra is always fun to fish, off Knickerbacker, easy walk, lots of action, fish through the small ones, off to the left maybe some perch?

Didn't have to worry about killing any little ones today, thats for sure. Went after perch all over (using the ATV) and only caught 2 white bass. Trying somewhere else tomorrow......

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:04 PM »
Yes, that perch fishing is tough! Used to do good off Fox Bluff and Monona off Wyldhaven on Monona, always hit or miss. The snow this will make it tough to get out! A nice easy walk on Wingra just might be the ticket next weekend! Those big gills on the camera at Cherokee were sure interesting last weekend, tried plastics at the end of the day, that seemed to intrest them?

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Can anyone comment on Lake Waubesa's ice conditions? Gramps and I were looking at making a trip up to fish the Madison area. We have fished this lake before, but does anyone have any other lake suggestions? Gills, crappie, and eyes will be targeted. Also, are there any particular wisconsin rules for tip ups that may be different from illinois? Thanks guys

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:53 PM »
I would think Waubesa ice would be fine. Cold last night should have firmed things up. 3 lines allowed for us WI fisher people, good luck if you go there, that lake get's fished pretty hard, some perch and crappies out in the deeper water, along with some eyes. I usually avoid this lake due to the crowds out there, almost got ran over by a snowmobile several years ago coming off the lake, not for me! Flotation is not required on Wabuesa, several bars on the lake = tipsy snowmobilers on the lake at night, not for me! I only fish there at very late ice, off Lake Farm for gills, 3:30 until dark on very rotten ice can be good, big gills, but you kiss the shoreline when you get back to shore! I'm still obsessed with Fishing Cherokee Marsh for big gills, I want a big one to mount on the wall, the usual catching limits on Monona ect. has been great for the past 40 years, I will find a big 10+ gill somewhere on Cherokee, lots of unexplored area out there, some new plastics and fresh bait from D&S bait will git er done! Poke around in unfished areas, Old Goat, that very back bay may be good?

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:13 PM »
I've been back there before. I actually got a lake map for Cherokee.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:23 AM »
I'm with you, Madgill.  I love finding new areas with fish.  Pounding the same old spot day after day isn't much of a challenge. 

If I want those 10" gills, I head straight to Mendota.  Don't catch many, but man are they huge. 

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Ha, I have got those 10" gills on Mendota also, many years ago. Marshall Park at first ice used to be hot, or off from Eagle Heights. I will poke around Sunday if it doesn't rain, with each trip I gain a bit more knowledge. The new Aqua-Vu micro camera is great, I'm learning those fish really like the plastics!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:21 PM »
Fished Wingra yesterday.  Caught some dandy perch, and the usual tiny gills that this lake produces. 

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:23 PM »
Well, I poked around that back bay at Cherokee today, good to get out and explore. The back bay is pretty weedy, moved out to the island and fished around that, then farther out, not much luck. Still some open water back there, geese keeping it open. A  good day to get out, lots of exercise and fresh air, just gotta keep hitt'n it, it's the process of elimination! Now I probably should have went straight out from the playground where I have been seeing fish on the camera, just had to take a chance and try something different today. Yes, some nice perch in Wingra, sure beats chasing all over Mentota for them !

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:47 AM »
Slow day for me yesterday on Mendota, ended with 5 perch, 3 white bass and 1 rock bass. Did plenty of searching with the atv, just not having any luck this year compared to the last 2. Wondering if the perch will pick up toward late ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.