The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: any info on Madison area  (Read 10248 times)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: any info on Madison area
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Well, I poked around that back bay at Cherokee today, good to get out and explore. The back bay is pretty weedy, moved out to the island and fished around that, then farther out, not much luck. Still some open water back there, geese keeping it open. A  good day to get out, lots of exercise and fresh air, just gotta keep hitt'n it, it's the process of elimination! Now I probably should have went straight out from the playground where I have been seeing fish on the camera, just had to take a chance and try something different today. Yes, some nice perch in Wingra, sure beats chasing all over Mentota for them !

Did you find a deep spot at the end of that bay my map says there's one there with about 10 ft. h20 and a bit of gravel?

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Ha, that bay is not what it used to be, we used to do well back there, but that was 35+ years ago! All the deep holes have filled in with silt and weeds. I have a old map also, what used to be 13' deep is now maybe 5' and full of weeds and silt. The only weed free area I found was the old rock bar close to the island no fish there. A long hike, drilled lots of holes, I did not mark a fish or see one on the camera all day! A nice day to be out, I got a good workout, quite pooped today. I'll never give up on Cherokee, it's always hit or miss, but have fished it for over 40 years and have had some great catches there. I was looking back at my Lake-Link posts from many years ago, just gotta keep hittin it! Lots of fish marked on the Vexilar and seen on the camera 2 weeks ago in front of the park, some nice fish down there, they will bite at some point, plastics might be good. Always great fishing there, quiet & peace full.

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 13, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Heade up to Mendota for the first time Monday with a local, how's the pannie bite been?  He's been running tip ups and getting toothy critters but I'd sure love to ice some eater crappie or perch while waiting for flags.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:39 PM »
Out on Mendota today perch hunting. Ended with 9 and 2 whitebass. With the cold, I set up on the first hole that I marked fish in and sat there for my time on the ice. Missed quite a few, very light bite. Its been very slow for perch compared to the last few years (today was my best trip out there this season). Sat in 70ft with nobody within a mile of me.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 14, 2016, 06:17 PM »
I fished Monona bay today, 1.5 hours, back bay by Park St, only 1 other guy out. Darn cold, windy and snowy out! Monona bay is quick, easy and close to home for me, too darn snowy to drive across town to Cherokee today. Quick on and off, fished through the small ones and kept a few for a meal, pic on Lake Link. Those Monona bay fish are quite thin, the Cherokee fish are much fatter. Oh well, got it outta my system, it was nasty out there!

Offline Hoytman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Was wanting to take a weekend trip up there was wonder about how the ice was in the area
The ice is good. Id say the fishing has been a little slow over all.

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 16, 2016, 12:21 PM »
fished menona yesterday. pannies were slow and skittish, only saw dinks caught. we had 6 flags and i ended up with a fat 35" pike and chunky 24" walleye. both on 5" shiners.

Offline brooky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 18, 2016, 09:18 AM »
fished monona bay for the first time yesterday. Only 1 keeper at 9 inches. Didn't have any idea where to setup so picked a spot and sat on it for 3 hrs. Moved over to the main lake and got lucky on 2 walleye right at 5pm. My first 2 legal walleye of the season from the madison chain. They were the size I like 15.25 and 15.5. Gonna try the bay again tomorrow. Gonna move around a little this time. Hope the wind doesn't do that for me !

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 19, 2016, 12:00 PM »
anyone out there today might go later on if it's possible to still get on     56 and wind yuk

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 19, 2016, 05:30 PM »
hitting Mendota tomorrow chasing perch, figured it might be the last weekend for the ATV out there

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 19, 2016, 05:38 PM »
storm some were pulling shacks today near shore

Monona Bay  people out fishing
Triangles       people out fishing
Cherokee      people out fishing
Brearly         looked ok nobody out though
Governors Island  people out fishing
Edgewater    people out fishing

hopefully it don't go to fast

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Old Goat, thanks for the report! My guess is you just drove around and checked things out from the safety of your vehicle, that was the safe thing to do today!. Ha, now I am a die hard, but no way I would be out fishing in that wind today, it was brutal! This old timer had the sense to go to work today and just think about fishing. Yes, today's wind and warm temps will do a number on that ice right quick, tomorrow the sun & 50 degrees hits it, will melt it even further. I was hoping to get out on Cherokee again, might check it out on Sunday depending on weather. Last Sunday's fishing on Monona Bay was actually quite good for me, quick off the Park St side, close to shore by the evergreen bush, find a hole without weeds, fish through the small ones, caught some 8" gills. Ha crazy WI weather, huddled in the shanty last Sun. with the heater going, 40's this weekend. Long range forecast does not look good for making ice, a strange year!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Out on Mendota with the ATV today, plenty of good ice. Went off Warner Beach launch headed 4mi west to a spot in 70ft and pulled out 2 perch  >:(. Went further west to the heave crossing the western part of the lake and got 3 more perch  >:(. From there, stopped back at my first spot and pulled out 1 perch and 1 big whitebass. Then tried the drop off by Dunns with only marking a few  but not bites. Overall, very slow considering how many fished I asked but thats been the story of this season out there for perch. Ice was a good 10"+ below the top layer that the sun hit today. Moving on to some other lakes in the hopes of a late ice gill bite in SE WI.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Now I had to work today, checked out the bay on Park st side after work, one guy out. Ice still looked ok and shoreline good. Looks like no one has poked holes since I was there last Sunday. That's always a great late ice spot, off the green bush, just find a hole without weeds and you will do good. Yes, that area got fished pretty hard at early ice, but it's un fished now, still some nice gills in there, easy, close to shore, a  perfect spot for Old Goat to try! Look for the two little sticks poked in the ice, then move 6 feet closer to shore in a weed free area and you will do well. I wish I could get out but work calls, good luck out there! Not many fishing days left!

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #74 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:19 PM »
Madgill, why don't you post that report on lake dink?   I would love to watch 100 guys looking for the green bush and two sticks!

I got a report today of good fishing in the triangles.  Warm weather turned a switch on, or something. 

Have you ever tried the deep hole in Monona bay, Madgill?  I've tried it, marked many fish, but only caught small perch.  Might be worth investigating during ice out. 

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 24, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Ha, that Monona bay is always a zoo, I avoid the crowds. I hit that Bernies hole every year, deep with little perch on the bottom. It's hit or miss every year, this year was a miss earlier for me. Several years ago, it was filled with little white bass, that was fun for catch and release. Out farther, almost in the middle of the bay can be good, lots of unfished area out there. It's amazing that bay continues to produce fish year after year with all the fishing pressure it gets! It's close to home for me, been fishing it for over 45 years, late ice can be very good but be careful out there! This warm weather & wind not good for the ice. Lake Farm on Waubesa is always good at last ice.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:38 AM »
I tried Bernies hole this season for the first time.  The edges of the hole, where it starts to come back to 10 feet seemed to be the ticket, but the action was not much different than your green bush spot.   Did lose a musky on a flag at the hole, and managed a few nice gills, but mostly small gills and perch, especially in the middle of the hole.  It still beat fishing in the crowd by the bush.  I hope the ice sticks around.  I didn't get out on Mendota or Monona main lake either.  Hoping for another 3 weekends or more.

Tight lines,

FS

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Now if I was a tip up fisherman (and I am not), I would set some up over that deep hole at Bernies, past years I have always marked large fish on the Vexilar, not interested in my little jig. Away from the hole for pan fish can be great, you are fishing unpressured areas, away from the crowds, that whole side of the Bay is unfished, lots of areas to catch nice gills and perch. Be careful out there, this warm weather sucks! Ice will go quick.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:43 AM »
I hope this weekend is not the end of the season down here!  I'm heading up north next weekend hopefully so that might be time to put away the gear and get the boat ready for some river fishing.

Stay on top,

FS

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #79 on: Mar 01, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Fished Wingra last Sunday.  Had to find a decent spot to get on the ice, as the north shore was wide open in spots.  Fished for perch, and caught a few decent ones.  Ice was fading fast.  Around 6" left when we picked up at noon.  That might be my last outing for the year. 

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Mar 01, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Yes, some nice perch can be found in Wingra, off Knickerbacher, off to the left, usually better for me than chasing around on the big lakes. Nice, peace and quiet, it's like a little backwoods lake in the middle of Madison! Always great to poke around out there, never know what you might catch! I'm done for the year,  today's snow will hide those unsafe areas, this old timer is staying off the Madison lakes, a short season, but more/bigger fish for next year!

Offline WalleyeMac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Did a little scouting today.  About 10 guys at Cherokee around noon today.  Several guys in Monona Bay by Brittingham.  A few guys on the Park Street side.  Doesn't look like anybody has been out by Bernie's.  Squaw Bay has a ways to go yet.  Ice about 50 yards off shore - then open water.  I will be out at one of those spots on Friday for the first time this year.  Any other ice reports out there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.