The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: any info on Madison area  (Read 10247 times)

Offline icecrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • No ICE No FISH No Fish No Fun
any info on Madison area
« on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Was wanting to take a weekend trip up there was wonder about how the ice was in the area

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: any info on Madison area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Haven't been on them but I'm reporting on what I've heard. Ice is 4-6" on Monona Bay, and Upper Mud Lake is completely frozen over and lots of guys fishing it. Heard on 12/11 there was like 30 people out at 10 AM, most towards the SE corner. Wish I had more info, but that's what I know!

Good luck and be safe if you head out!

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Tons of people have been fishing Monona Bay/Triangles and Upper Mud already. (I avoid those areas for that reason)  There is decent ice to be found in places but not on the big lakes yet. After 3 days in the 40's this weekend it could get iffy in a lot of places...

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Saw ice forming on the SW shore of Mendota today! Sorry I didn't answer your questions Old Goat.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Out for 2 hours today at Marshall Park, skunked, hardly marked any fish, one little bite. Darn cold and windy out, the big lake is freezing over! That wind was brutal today!

Offline TuckerGrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Any updates?

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Couple guys out on Turville bay on Monona yesterday. Snow can't be helping the ice form but with these temps I don't think it will slow it much. Added snow tomorrow could make walking more of a pain though...I'll give it a try somewhere on Sat and/or Sun

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:59 PM »
Just a quick 2 hour trip to Monona Bay today, poked around away from the crowds and found some ok gills, nice to get out after last week's cold blast. A good day for moving around and exploring unfished areas!

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Tried Mendota yesterday and it was slooooowwww. 6" of ice on average but not always consistent, popping a lot as it warmed up.

Offline TuckerGrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:10 PM »
Measured 10" of ice over the deep hole west of Gov Island. Had medium shiners. Tried a tip up, deadsticked, and jigged various things. I didn't get a sniff, but I'm also a massive rookie. First time on Mendota and maybe my fourth time ever.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:20 PM »
I think it's a bit early for good perch fishing, my experience is its best at late mid-late Feb when the fish school up more, but ya never know. Lot's of fishing pressure on Mendota, away from the crowds can be the ticket. Out from Picnic Point or Eagle Heights can be good, or Monona off Wyldehaven. It always pays to get out and explore, even Wingra holds some nice perch. If not, the Seafood Center in Madison has Alaskan Perch fillets, they are great also!

Offline TuckerGrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:48 PM »
@Madgill, I'd rather buy you a beer and pick your brain than have to keep buying seafood from the store. I may be new and have no idea what I'm doing on the ice yet, but I'll figure this place out soon enough.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Ha, no need to buy seafood from the store, I only buy shrimp, swordfish and that terrayki smoked from there, It's all very good! Anyone is always welcome to pick my brain, I'm an old timer, been fishing the Madison lakes for over 50 years, did quite well at early ice (around Thanksgiving), have enough gills in the freezer and gave some away to the elderly neighbors, It's been a great fishing year so far for me so far, a couple of no fish (skunked) outings but ya gotta expect that! Plenty of good fishing on the Madison lakes, just get out and explore those unfished areas, avoid the crowds, you will do well! I got outta the house last Sunday to an unfished area on Monona, fishing was hot!This old timer does not get out much out anymore (younger GF occupies my time), always willing to help point Madison fisherman in the right direction. Plenty of goood fishing out there!

Offline TuckerGrover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:51 PM »
I wanted to offer to join you for an outing until I read the younger girlfriend and think you best get on the treadmill and drink a protein shake. Thanks! Ha!

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Ha, sent the younger GF home early today, drank my protein shake, and poked around on Wingra. Lots of small fish as usual, not a one worth keeping. Wingra is always fun to fish, never know what you will get out of there, lots of action, but small stunted panfish. Good to get outta the house and get some fresh air, quite windy today but nice in the shanty!

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:20 PM »
We've tried Wingra twice this winter, both times with the same results as you. Hundreds of small gills and some tiny perch. Kinda sad, but fun if you have kids (we don't)

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Yes, that Wingra is always the same, lots of small stunted fish, but you never know, some big crappies in there but hard to find. Would be a great place to take kids for lot's of action. One would think the Musky's and Bass in there would keep the little fish thinned out but not the case. I caught some incredibly small fish last weekend, some cute little gills under 2" long! Something about that lake that just keeps producing fish, always great to get out there and poke around in winter!

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:59 PM »
My fly reel is not very big...and these fish are smaller than it. Good old Wingra

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Looks like a good fishing day tomorrow, I'm hitting Wyldehaven on Monona at the crack of dawn! Did a scouting mission today, looks like a easy walk out to deep water, no one out there today, the wind was wicked. Will poke around early in the shallows, move to deeper water later in the day. Run and gun to find some perch! Brought up two tip ups from the basement, will bait with leftover shrimp (from Valentines Day) and douse them with Dr Juice walleye scent, ha, I always think out of the box, dont want to hassle with minnows, have not fished with with tip ups for many years, will let the old beaver dams soak while I move around. Always great out in the middle of Monona, very peacefull. hopefully my swish rod will get a workout tomorrow on the perch!

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2015, 11:46 AM »
Madgill:

Curious how you did.  I'm thinking about Mendota tomorrow, even though the weather will not be nice.  Haven't tried it since first week in January when it froze. 

FS

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:34 PM »
A great day to be out today, nice and warm! Fished from 6:30 - 2, not so good, a few small perch hugging the bottom, didn't find any schools or decent perch. Drilled lots of holes and explored, nothing too exciting, but still good to get out, well worth it, ya never know. Too darn cold tomorrow to fish. FS if you go, I would suggest County Park on Mendota, off to the left in front of Fox Bluff. Easy walking on Monona today, snow is quite frozen and you stay on top.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:25 AM »
I made it out, and put on by State Park.  Drove the atv toward the four doors area, and fished about a hundred yards north of the Blue Ribbon crew.  Marked fish that were less eager to bite as the day wore on.  Stayed warm in the shanty with the heater, but that wind was brutal!  Managed 15 perch, nothing huge, and all hugging the bottom.  Better than shopping.  Wish Saturday was my free day instead.

FS

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2015, 12:53 PM »
thanks for the update I havn't even wondered out on Mendota this year my bad

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:51 PM »
FS, you did good and a diehard for fishing in that Sunday cold weather! Ya just gotta get out and poke around, ya never know. It was great on Monona, Sat morning off Wldehaven, no one else out there, quite relaxing to be out in the deep water on safe ice. Looks like a not so good year for the perch this year. Just gotta keep plugging away, that perch fishing in front of Fox Bluff can be hot at late ice! I prefer to avoid the crowds and will keep plugging away on Monona, lots of unexplored lake out there! Lots of people fishing Squaw bay in front of the inlet as I left the lake on Sat, looked like a zoo out there! I have enough Bluegills, south triangle was good for me, catch and release. Old Goat, have you been out at Cherokee? Now that can be good also at late ice!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:26 AM »
yes I have hit Cherokee on last last last ice with a picnic table in the water then the big plank to ice and it was awesome

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:01 PM »
I poked around in front of Mendota County park today, out deep for perch and in shallow for gills. That used to be a great spot years ago, today, nothing, I didn't mark a fish. Quite a workout, a nice day but that wind was nasty out there!

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:35 PM »
I hit the south triangle today, no one else out there, now I know why! Did a big circle all around, fishing in front of all the inlets/outlets. I did not mark a fish! Holes that were hot a month ago had nothing! Moved to the back bay at Brittingham, lots of little ones in there as usual. A nice day to be out, got quite a workout!

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Now I heard Cherokee was turning on again? My guess there will be somewhat safe ice there on Sunday afternoon (when I can get out), close to shore, stay safe. I need to do one last ice fishing adventure before these 60 degree  days take away my fun.  Is the  Old Goat pounding em and and just being silent about it?? I need one last ice fishing adventure, Mendota and Monona unproductive for me this year. Is the ice still good on Cherokee?

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Cherokee was empty for people on it. If the bite started it just started I think it's still to early. I'll drive by today for a read out and join you tomorrow. PM me what time your heading out.

Offline Madgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2015, 06:05 PM »
I hit Cherokee for a couple of hours this afternoon, ice still ok but going fast, easy on & off. Marked lots of fish, hard to get them to bite, caught and released about 10, mostly small gills. About 8 other guys out, not much action. I think I'm done for the year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.