Author Topic: Horsethief  (Read 3905 times)

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
Horsethief
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Can we fish off the dock there?
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Horsethief
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Im sure the 2" from 2 weeks ago is history....im trying to convert my strikemaster into a long shaft trolling motor and attaching it to my jet sled to troll for trout and jig perch on Cascade !!!! The weather is not looking good for a while and it keep changing to warmer vs colder !!!! :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
BOWHUNTER68

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:20 PM »
I am sure! It was 54 in Cascade.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Anyone have a successful ice dance ceremony they want to share? :wacko:
Getting nervous we won't have decent ice for the youth ice fishing day. Hopefully Horsethief is getting lower temps then what the Cascade weather report shows. Sure was a nice day in the Treasure Valley today.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:56 PM »
January 10th isnt far away and the temps wont be making any ice until next Tuesday maybe...its gotta lock up and 24° lows aint happening ; (
BOWHUNTER68

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:24 AM »
18 in Cascade and 21 in McCall this morning.  All we need is 3 or 4 single digit nights and we'll be there.

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Does anyone know what is the surface temp on Cascade and Horsethief?
Tight Lines,

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:33 PM »
From what I recall there is very little water flowing in our out of Corral Creek and Herrick.  Perhaps they have safe ice.  I noticed that the webcam for Merganser lake in River Ranch at McCall has ice.  Don't know if it is safe, though.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Id guess surface temps in the high 30's....
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Ripping lips33

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:28 PM »
 Please say there is ice I'm ready and thinking of going on the 1st

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I fished the inlet on Friday.  Fishing was great with plenty of 8-12 inch rainbows willing to bite.  Ice was around 6 inches, most of it was white slushy ice, but felt very solid.  I believe most of the lake will be safe by Jan 1 as along as the snow doesn't get too deep.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Horsethief has a solid cap on it. I fished by the boat ramp today and there was 8 to 9 inches. Very solid and sturdy ice. Did pretty well. ..the bite was on and off. But just being out there was way better than being at work!!!

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Does anyone know if horsethief ever produces any larger fish?

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Does anyone know if horsethief ever produces any larger fish?

I have heard there are some larger left over rainbows and larger browns in there. I am sure they are in there. That being said, the average size I caught yesterday was about 14 inches.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I am considering taking my wife and daughter tomorrow and hav a few questions.
Could you get all the way in in a truck?
Where was the safest ice? And would it support the three of us in a hub with gear?
Any other advice on my situation would would b greatly appreciated iv never fished horsethief
thanks!

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:00 PM »
I am considering taking my wife and daughter tomorrow and hav a few questions.
Could you get all the way in in a truck?
Where was the safest ice? And would it support the three of us in a hub with gear?
Any other advice on my situation would would b greatly appreciated iv never fished horsethief
thanks!

Yes you can get in with your truck. Its not plowed but the snow isnt deep and rigs have been in there plenty to keep the snow beat down. I found 8 to 9 inches of ice right out in front of the boat ramp, more than enough ice to support you guys and your gear. I would go out by yourself and tap around a bit and drill a test hole before they come out with you. Ive heard other reports lately that the ice isnt as thick and solid in other areas of the lake, but where I was at it was solid.

Offline kalde

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:13 PM »
The edges of Horsethief sound a little scary as there was 1-2 inches of ice below a thin layer of slush. Below the slush layer was about 4 more inches. This was on the north side of the reservoir. Fishing was a little slower than normal. The fish were all 9-14". There were several groups out there today. The ice seemed to be getting thinner, the farther out from shore that I drilled. Just use common sense and it should be fine.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:56 AM »
Thanks for all the great info. I'm heading up now  ;D ill post up when I get back. If anyone sees me ill b in a red Eskimo.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Fishing went great! Iced two 16in browns and a dozen or so rainbows. My wife and daughter had a blast. It was there first time and also the first time using our New Eskimo hub New jetsled and new little budy heater. All fantastic products I couldn't hav bin more pleased. I ran into a gentleman on the way in who was headed out and gave me his bait and a little advice. If you are on here sir thank you we fished your holes and the mealworms were just the ticket. Maiby I can return the favor someday.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Great report.  Thanks.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Nicely done gunslinger!

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:34 AM »
Oh and watch the ice seemed ok but was kinda funky and wouldn't take much to deteriorate. B safe everyone!

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I have a sinking feeling that with this current warm up, the already somewhat poor ice conditions will get worse. This doesnt make me happy!!

Offline Jasonnsteph

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:03 AM »
How is the ice looking? We are thinking about venturing there this weekend. Thank you.

Offline newbie on the ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:19 AM »
I was up there yesterday and the ice was not awesome.  3 - 4 inches of good ice with some slush on top.  By the time I left around 1:30 the top layer was very soft and I would sink a couple of inches with each step.  The fishing was decent as i caught 7 rainbows.  One was about 13.  I was fishing out from the boat ramp and talked to two guys that were fishing the inlet farther south.  They said it was 3 - 4 inches and safe enough, but did not look good to me.  Good luck and be safe.

Offline fishfinder311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:41 AM »
Anyone been up to Horsethief recently?  Is the ice any better?  Any recommendations on good place to try there?  Thinking of taking the kids up on Saturday.  Thanks.

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:35 PM »
I was up there this last Sunday (1/25), the ice is around 10-12 inches thick so no problem there. You will want to have some sorta of traction devices for your boots, there is little to no snow on the lake and it is pretty slick the surface is not real smooth and kinda rough but it is slick.. There were quite a few people fishing off the boat ramp and quite a few out from the dam, there were also some parked and fishing out by the first cove you come to. Road is plowed and access is good, fishing was good.

Offline fishfinder311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Thanks idtrout!

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:43 PM »
You will catch lots of fish but they are pretty small for the most part.  My kids have had great luck starting close to the cattails (3-4 feet) and fishing out to about 18'.  Small red hooks with a waxie worked great on set lines as well as jigging anything shiny. 

Anyone been up to Horsethief recently?  Is the ice any better?  Any recommendations on good place to try there?  Thinking of taking the kids up on Saturday.  Thanks.

Offline fishfinder311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Thanks for the good info fishandchips.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.