The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Choosing a power auger  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Baberuth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love fishing
Choosing a power auger
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:34 PM »
I really think a well-tuned gas auger is as reliable as any auger and probably holds an edge in consistent power. Transporting the unit on the ice and messing with gas are tougher than the propane and battery augers, but we used to feel so lucky to have one and not having to hand cut the holes. Keeping the small engine ready to work efficiently will keep you sure you will have a reliable auger. 
 I have saved to buy one, but getting a Strike Master Lithium Ion, Ion Electric or a Jiffy Pro 4 or Pro 4 Lite propane has made me feel somewhat guilty. I have always been thankful for my power gas auger. I must admit the idea of carrying a light weight battery auger while cutting 25-35+ holes sounds nice. It would save time and energy for sure. Please take away my guilt and tell me I will regret not getting something like the Strike Master Lithium Ion.
We let the fish go and my Dad told me I had a wish. I wished the fish would live.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: Choosing a power auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:45 PM »
When you have to buy a new battery you will regret it. Or when then the batteries are discontinued.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Mud-n-fun is right.  I would get the Strikemaster Electra Lazer 12000 instead.  It takes a regular 12 volt 9amp battery.  Cabelas has those batteries on sale right now for $19.99.

Offline mickmickl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Batteries do not perform that well in freezing temps, also for the price of some of these lithium batteries you could up grade a gas auger every 5 years. I think the electrics would be perfect for wheel houses, but being outside for 8 to 10 hours and drilling holes all day I just dont think they would do it.

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Spend the cash and buy a Nils Master with the Tanaka power head. It will last forever and screams through the ice. Not sure how heavy it is, but in my opinion it's lighter than the eskimo/strikemaster/jiffy.  Whatever you decide, make it your own decision and be happy with it. Good luck!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Spend the cash and buy a Nils Master with the Tanaka power head. It will last forever and screams through the ice. Not sure how heavy it is, but in my opinion it's lighter than the eskimo/strikemaster/jiffy.  Whatever you decide, make it your own decision and be happy with it. Good luck!
[/quote
i have to agree. I spent literally days and days researching and reading reviews and ended up getting the tanaka powerhead. The one i got was a refurb for much cheaper and it purrs. There is a reason tanaka puts a 7 year warranty on this head when u buy a new one. They are tested to last 700 hours where most other consumer auger are only tested at like 400 hrs. Dont quote me on that but its in the ballpark. One tank of fuel in the tanaka will drill 200 holes easily if not 300. I have not first hand experience as ive only drilled about 50 holes but from others experience it will. My 50 holes i drilled i could hardly tell it used any!  I personally have a mora and it rips great! Plenty of advice from members like bee and hamms. They helped me make the decison easier for me. By the way im not trying to put down other augers just saying my experience so far with the tanaka. Two thumbs up.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:24 PM »
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I bought a Rigid cordless drill because it came with a lifetime warranty on the batteries and the drill too.  The battery warranty was what really sold me. Just to use as a reference.

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:05 PM »
The nils with Tanaka is pretty much the Rolls Royce of power augers.. And it's pretty darn light at 22 lbs. Also if you want, you can get it as a package with an offset handle and take the power head off, and boom you have a hand auger. The tanaka head is rated at like 600 hours of run time before it needs servicing/repairs.

I personally use the nils convertible with a cordless drill..and ive never had issues with running out of juice or what not. But it is a personal preference...I'm also a walker so light gear is priority.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Well this is going to get real interesting real fast. If I was going to get a new gas auger I'd get the Eskimo Mako because of the price and it's a reliable machine.  Glenn's has it for $284.99 with free shipping, that's a real good deal in my book.  No matter what you buy it won't last long if you beat the crap out of it.  I have a Mako that I bought back in 2003 and it looks and runs like the day I took it out of the box. 

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:31 PM »
I went with the lazer pro for one  main reason, more holes are only a gas can away. I have had 300+ hole days and have never burned through more than one gallon of gas. Also its a 2stroke, they are not rocket science. Even when the warranty is up you dont need a degree in electrical enginering to work on it.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline nightshift

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Take a Echo model EDR-2400 gas drill remove the chuck add and adapter to fit your auger mine is a 6" lazer and it weighs 15 pounds.

Offline Mike3913

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I've got a lazer pro and a lithium lazer.  Love them both IMO can't go wrong with strikemaster

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:02 PM »
tanaka nils here, would not ever look at another auger again

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:20 PM »
There are some very well made, durable, and powerful augers out there. For a gas 8" or 10" hole, the Nils/Tanaka is top of the line. Spendy but worth it. I'm loyal to my 8" IceGator Attacker, 29 volt Lithium battery, Lazer Mag bit with the ripper teeth. That's about the only thing that can hold it's own against the Nils.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Take a Echo model EDR-2400 gas drill remove the chuck add and adapter to fit your auger mine is a 6" lazer and it weighs 15 pounds.

Exactly. Think outside the box.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2014, 03:08 PM »
The Tanaka doesn't have to be Spendy. They can be had for a good price if you look and adapt them. Example. Take this and add the Auger that you like and go. If you separate the Tanaka /Nils to something else then its a different item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tanaka-TED-270PFDH-27-cc-Dual-Handle-Planting-Drill-Two-Stroke-Bulb-/271684557427?pt=Drills&hash=item3f41a95a73
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline mytiburon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:01 PM »
I bought a 8" ION this year, and it is crazy the looks you get when you drill holes with it. It is Easier to use than gas,it is quieter,it is lighter,it is green. I keep my battery in the portable shack. Anyone that has seen mine has been impressed. Now will a battery last 2 years or 8 years who knows, but I don't care I love the quiet,lightness,nothing to break convenience. I mean if your that concerned about a dead battery buy 2 or an inverter or brill a emergency hand auger. You gotta pay to play!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:41 PM »
That pay to play stuff is crap. We have a guy here who built his auger out of spare parts nobody wanted. He litterally has 15 bucks invested in it. The thing runs and does what he needs it to do. That folks is all that really matters. I bought a new auger because I could and wanted to. If I hadn't I'd still be running my old worn out hand me down strikemaster my grandfather passed down to me. There was not a thing wrong with it I just wanted a new one.

Call me 18 years from now, (which is how old that hand me down is) and let me know how that new fangled electric battery is running.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:09 AM »
The Tanaka doesn't have to be Spendy. They can be had for a good price if you look and adapt them. Example. Take this and add the Auger that you like and go. If you separate the Tanaka /Nils to something else then its a different item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tanaka-TED-270PFDH-27-cc-Dual-Handle-Planting-Drill-Two-Stroke-Bulb-/271684557427?pt=Drills&hash=item3f41a95a73

Now THAT is a deal! I paid $325 for mine but it was a refurb. This paired with a mora a guy would only have about $450 into the setup. Absolutely worth every penny. Heck I'm half tempted to buy this as yet another auger for a buddy that doesn't have one. Thanks Bee

Offline mytiburon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:51 PM »
That pay to play stuff is crap. We have a guy here who built his auger out of spare parts nobody wanted. He litterally has 15 bucks invested in it. The thing runs and does what he needs it to do. That folks is all that really matters. I bought a new auger because I could and wanted to. If I hadn't I'd still be running my old worn out hand me down strikemaster my grandfather passed down to me. There was not a thing wrong with it I just wanted a new one.

Call me 18 years from now, (which is how old that hand me down is) and let me know how that new fangled electric battery is running.

Not really, I can chip a hole through the ice with an axe but prefer an easier alternative.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:14 AM »
Get a tanaka you won't regret, 7 year consumer warranty, made in Japan, not China like pretty much all the other name brand augers! 
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.